Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Edwin Starr

United Kingdom 
Advice on new purchase

Hi FFRR forum.
I am in the market for a used L405.
Ideally looking to buy approved used to get the 2 year warranty.
The car I have seen and like is at a main dealer and is a SDV8 autobigraphy, with deployable side steps and rear seat entertainment has extras. It has 42k miles.
The price is £68k. Like most people I am looking to get a deal. At the moment they have come back to me with £900 off and finance at 7.9%
My question is, is this a good deal or should I be holding out for better. I would have thought there would have been more room for movement on price and interest rate.
Has there are going to be quite a few on here that will have first hand experience with LR dealers, I am hoping for some constructive advice.

Many thanks

Edwin

Post #364087 27th Dec 2015 1:20pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi Edwin, I've bought four Land Rovers from main dealers in the last four years and like you I always try to find the one that's right for me.

You haven't said what year and reg the 4.4 AB is and we'd really need that to know if it was a good deal.

Also, you haven't mentioned if you've driven the car (or any L405) yet, so it's important to know what your needs are and what sort of kit you'd really require. I mention this because I've recently changed my 3.0tdv6 13 Reg Autobiography for a 14 Plate 3.0tdv6 SE. It's an experiment really and I'll know which one is best for me in the coming weeks and months but it just depends what is important to you in terms of ultimate performance, kit levels, refinement etc?

Have a think and tell us what's important to you and I'm sure you'll get plenty advice Thumbs Up

Post #364091 27th Dec 2015 1:54pm
Edwin Starr

United Kingdom 

Extra info.
Car is 2013.
Yes I have driven it and thought it was superb.
Rear seat entertainment and deloyable side steps are on my want list.
I have not driven a TDV6 but if one came up in the right spec / colour I wouldn't rule it out.

Post #364092 27th Dec 2015 2:07pm
Basilfawlty

Hi Edwin, I've just done a quick "webuyanycar" check on that car and it gives a price of £58K and a bit for them to buy it from you. If you went on to one or two of the big franchise sites and put this cars details in you'll get an idea of what LR think its worth and I'd guess it will be a fair bit more than webuyanycar.

Personally speaking and this is a very personal point of view; I love the deployable side steps but from a practical point of view because they retract when not being used they don't offer the protection that fixed ones do in car parks. RSE is entirely dependant on your circumstances. Mine was never used in the past as the kids have grown up never travel with us.

22 inch wheels look terrific (I had the on my last car) and they probably are better for someone who like to press on but they don't ride particularly cosseting. Surprisingly, 21's do offer a fairly big (in my experience) improvement in ride and refinement. The 4.4 engine is a great lusty unit and if outright pace and handling is important it's the one of choice as its 80 bhp more powerful and has the trick handling package. However, the 3.0 is plenty for most people as it's 250 Kg lighter than the V8 and it's more refined in standard use and it's generally regarded by Car Magazine pundits as the engine of choice for this car. That said, there are certainly plenty on here that'll disagree. I'm in a fairly fortunate position in that I can have whichever one that I want but I'm no spend-thrift. That said I chose another 3.0tdv6 and actually went down a variant to SE to see if thing like the massage seats, surround cameras, parking heater and a bit of extra leather and some nice finishing touches (things which were rarely ever used) could be lived without. So far I honestly haven't missed them.

In terms of value for money and the LR dealers, I'd have to say that I've always been pretty impressed with the part exchange offers LR dealers have given to me and the two year warranty is great, especially for a car with a few miles under it's belt. But if I were you and accepting that we are all different I'd probably want a newer car for that sort of money. There are 64 plate 4.4 AB's for less than 6K more than yours and with under 20,000 miles and because Land Rover continually develop their car you will find improvements with newer cars as well as them ironing out some of the glitches of the early cars and when your car comes out of it's warranty it'll be five years old and maybe no as desirable to the franchise dealers. However, if your heart is set on this particular car at least you know that it's got as two year warranty.

Finally, in terms of price and when I've had no part ex I have found that the dealers would usually shave a couple of thousand off this type of figure and as for finance; they really want this from you so find out what's the best you can get anywhere else and start there and remember that some dealer are offering extended servicing / warranty for finance deals Thumbs Up

Post #364098 27th Dec 2015 3:01pm
Basilfawlty

Hi again Edwin,

One other thing I noticed with webuyanycar was when I put this car number plate into their system, despite it being a 62 plate it came up as being registered on the 1st march which would make it a 13 Reg. Just thought it worth mentioning as it's likely just an error in their system

Post #364099 27th Dec 2015 3:08pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I wanted the reassurance of a 2 year warranty - so went onto the used Range Rover site, made a short list & called around. I ended up buying one 300 miles away, but it was as described & the warranty is transferable anyway Thumbs Up

I found some dealers wouldn't shift and others were more flexible - it really comes down to their individual situations - what they paid for the car, how much stock they have, what's due into stock, what sort of month they've had, how they priced it originally etc - so there isn't a 'right deal.'

What I did was figured out what I really cared about - and focussed on the things that couldn't be easily changed - like interior & exterior colour - I also wanted a tow bar & my wife wanted cooled seats - I do some towing, so I decided that I really needed the SDV8 Very Happy

The deployable tower is a £3k retro-fit - so it had to have one from the factory to be price competitive - and the cooled seats were standard on the VSE - so I just restricted my search to exclude Vogues (some may have spec'd that option, but I couldn't be bothered looking)

I wanted 22's, but the best car I could find had 20's - so I bought that & swapped the wheels over.

I also ended up with deployable side steps - which are turned off as I hate them.

I didn't bother with any valuation sites or other opinions - I restricted myself to main dealers, so it was a case of figuring out the best real world deal - it really didn't matter what any theoretical values were - just playing one against the other on my short list.

I did a PX - but I was very clear with the 3 that I spoke to that I was buying an L405 in the next 2 weeks & looking to do a deal in the next day or two and happy to put a deposit down by end of tomorrow.

Post #364101 27th Dec 2015 3:43pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Here's the changes I made to mine within a week or two of buying it Thumbs Up

Post #364103 27th Dec 2015 3:49pm
Basilfawlty

Did you see this one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...;logcode=p

It's a 13 plate with RSE, and the £4K extra Meridian Signature Hifi and lots of other bits

Or this one which is similar miles and spec with 13 plate for £64,500.00
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2660967

Post #364115 27th Dec 2015 5:16pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Paying 7.9% to put a lump of depreciating metal on the drive doesn't sound like such a great deal.

Post #364134 27th Dec 2015 7:29pm
JasM

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I got a finance rate of 6.3% through LR finance (blackhorse). Although my L405 was 1 year old when I bought it earlier on this year.

It might be worth checking newer examples as they might not be too dissimilar finance wise as it will have a higher GFV.

Farnell LR bury have got a 64 plate SDV8 Autobiography with 27k miles for £73k & another 64 plate with 13k miles for £75k ! Shocked

It's definitely worth checking those out as they represent much better value IMO. 2014 SDV8 Autobiography Cool

Gone: 2012 RRS SDV6 HSE, 2007 RRS TDV6 HSE

Post #364138 27th Dec 2015 7:51pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

OP imo thats to much money for a car with that mileage. They are all coming down so look around as others have shown on above posts.

Post #364188 28th Dec 2015 10:07am
Edwin Starr

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for all of the replies.
They all help with the decision making that lies ahead.
I have had a look on the LR site and found it very useful with the search fields that can be specced.

It will be the main dealer route that I want to go down to get the LR warranty.

Another question is what is an average service cost? And does it make a difference between the TDV6 verses the TDV8.

Many thanks

Edwin

Post #364200 28th Dec 2015 1:02pm
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Trommel wrote:
Paying 7.9% to put a lump of depreciating metal on the drive doesn't sound like such a great deal.

Paying anything, anyhow for an depreciating asset isn't a good idea. I finance the 'depreciation', so say 40k over 3 years and pay the rest cash. I could pay outright if I wanted, but now I can dump the car at anytime and get the equity back. I should finance the lot as I can make 10% net through investing cash. I choose not to because I don't like debt. If you've got the cash and invest wisely then finance is a good option. Any wise investor, with a moderate attitude to risk, should be able to make more than the low APRs on offer right now.

Post #364201 28th Dec 2015 1:04pm
peterg1965

OP, that car sounds expensive compared to the SDV8 AB I bought in the summer. I paid £78k for a 9 month old ex LR management car from a LR dealer. It was a standard AB in Corris Grey, 21" alloys and 12000 miles on it. My finance rate was 5.9% APR. Not sure whether it was a good deal as it was summer, do the price of FFRRs go up in winter?

Just to add, mine is a 64 plate - Registered Oct 14. 2019 SDV8 Autobiography in Byron Blue
2019 BMW Z4 M Sport
2014 SDV8 Autobiography in Corris Grey with black AB leather - Now gone!

Post #364211 28th Dec 2015 2:14pm
Basilfawlty

Edwin Starr wrote:

Another question is what is an average service cost? And does it make a difference between the TDV6 verses the TDV8.

Servicing isn't cheap on either engine. Budget for between £500 and £600 per service, although I did get my last big (B) Service for £460.00, which I was happy enough with, so it's worth asking them to beat the price they give you at first or surrounding dealers. Tax is £490 on the 4.4 and £265.00 on the 3.0 and I'd guess you'll get five or six mpg better out of the smaller engine depending how it's driven. In my view the relatively small savings aren't that important it depends entirely on which power plant suits you better. When new there's a £7K difference in price between the two engines but when used the V8 tends to be one or two K more on the SE's and virtually identical on AB's.

Similarly extra kit adds surprisingly little to the price that you pay or to your part ex but it does add to disireability. My personal view is to get as much as you need already built into the car you are buying. in my case I'd have paid extra for 21" wheels, privacy glass and side steps, so it's important to spend a bit of time finding one with it already in. Conversely, it's nice to have some of the extras that an AB gives over an SE but decide if it's something you'll use. Even the standard car has good levels of kit but for me the SE has just the right amount (save for the 21"s and blind spot ) which I personally like.

Then finally try and buy the best value car you can and remember that when you trade it back in that the less you pay now means the less you'll lose later. Whichever you choose it won't be a cheap way to go motoring but I've yet to find a better one. Good Luck Thumbs Up

Post #364212 28th Dec 2015 2:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>