Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Where to put sat nav?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Carpathian Grey
Where to put sat nav?

just about to collect my 3rd new Autobiography.
I have now completely given up with LR's own Satnav which is crapper than a crap thing playing a crap game of crap.
Ordered a TomTom GO5000 (satnav and speed cam alerts) with 5" screen.
It gets on my wick that I have to put an aftermarket satnav in a £100k car, but hey ho so be it.
Anyway, here's the question: will it be obtrusive in the bottom rt corner of the screen, or should it be left of the steering wheel on the dash or screen?
Any views/suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Post #365302 4th Jan 2016 10:56pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

air vent mount? stays off the front screen then.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #365303 4th Jan 2016 10:58pm
Badger

Yes, and brings it forward so more accessible.
But I want it hard wired in? And will it block the a/c airflow? And are the mounts robust?
Cheers

Post #365305 4th Jan 2016 11:01pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you should be able to close that particular vent [on the L322 you can]

i have a mount cable tied to my vent and the nav just clips in when ever i need it.....the wire can be hidden in between the trim , again on the L322 it can, not sure about the L405. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #365306 4th Jan 2016 11:07pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Can you not get Brodit mounts for your car and sat nav?

Post #365309 4th Jan 2016 11:16pm
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black
Mount for external Sat Nav (dash top screwed in place)

I built mine in 5 parts -

1 - Connect into the large power cables under the passenger seat (yellow connector) and run cables under trim to the rear of the glove box, position a multi socket outlet there. This is powered from vehicle unlock till about 10 minutes after locking.

2 - Take out the dash centre speaker and push a 500mm length of 25mm flexible conduit from under it to the rear of the glove box. Feed any required cables through this. Easy to add an extra cable and won't snag on ventilation controls. The plastic speaker surround needs a small notch cut out for the cables to run past the speaker when it is replaced.

3 - Bend and screw into place a simple, straight support bracket from the small screw under the centre speaker grill (drivers side) to the dash top screw near the steering wheel.
4 - Screw a basket to the bracket. Glue some felt on the bottom to avoid scratches
5 - Screw a Sat Nav mount to the end of the basket

I have a crash camera in the bottom of the basket and I put my phone on top and plug it in to charge. All the cables are twist tied to the basket and very unobtrusive.

You may have noticed that a plastic basket will deform in the hot sun, but as it is always hidden by the Sat Nav I don't care.

bye

Last edited by bgennette on 8th Jan 2016 5:35am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #365339 5th Jan 2016 5:03am
Badger

That's really helpful thanks, I will share with the Dealer as they will fit it before collection. I have always used a Road Angel speed trap detector (fitted to rt of steering wheel), so this will replace that plus give me proper nav

Post #365488 5th Jan 2016 8:28pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

In passing, just wondering what issues you found with the LR SatNav ? The only think it lacked for me on the L405 was the speed cameras etc which I have now added via the 'My POIs' option in the menu, but this never really bothered me on my old L322 satnav, just a nice to have. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #365623 6th Jan 2016 1:17pm
Badger

Phew, where do I start?....

Slow to input, you have to wait for the digits to light up after inserting each digit of postcode/address before you can press the next, so it is slower and clunkier than the L322 (that's progress)

Good luck in finding hotels etc in the POI!

Takes you the strangest routes, with some extraordinary diversions (and yes, I have tinkered with the User options available to no effect)

LR sat nav, when given the postcode for the RR Centre at the LR factory at Solihull, thinks it's 500 yds on the other side of the dual carriageway, waaaaaah!!

Voice control is unuseable (how come Siri can just understand what you say, and convert it into the appropriate command, but the LR satnav can't?)

Re-routing for traffic problems works off the radio and is hopeless

Look at the maps (2D and 3D) in comparison with TomTom/Garmin etc and it looks like something out of Minecraft!

When you have frigged about putting the postcode in, it then asks you to confirm it, and then it gives you another screen where you have to press GO. Why???

The most serious flaw is the illogical routes it gives you. I always run WAZE now at the same time. It provides far smarter routes, alerts you to all manner of issues ahead, speed cams etc etc.

LR presumably buy this kit in from somewhere but have created a real weakness in an otherwise almost perfect car. And I am surprised they haven't upgraded the software to resolve it by now.

Glad I got all that off my chest!!

Post #365757 6th Jan 2016 10:23pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

They have - InControl Touch Pro is coming.

Post #365845 7th Jan 2016 1:21pm
sagalout

2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

I'd agree about the wierd routing. My car seems to have a fascination with Manchester and tries to take me via it at the strangest times. Eg Northampton to Leeds, which is straight up the M1, it tried to go via M6 and M62 which wasx80 miles longer. Birmingham NEC to Harrogate and it also wanted to go via Manchester!

That said, I use it infrequently enough that I wouldn't bother with a third party one, or if I did it would probably be a mobile phone attached to the CD slot

Post #366188 9th Jan 2016 9:45am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I only use mine infrequently and always have a trusty maps as well in fact I echo the points about Manchester, living nearby. I think someone needs to write a play about a sales rep having a spoken affair with his/her sat nav - can't be me though because sometimes as it suggest routes SWMBO says I mutter "you must be Censored joking" Geoff

Post #366208 9th Jan 2016 1:40pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Wow Badger, wasn't expecting such a big list , I'll now check mine next time I set a route , as I live near Manchester , I probably wouldn't notice the 'via Manchester' issue but I'll compare it with my Garmin next time to see if I am taking the most direct route.
I still now feel the need to say something in the form of the 'what have the Romans ever done for us' speech from Life of Brian like: " Yes, but besides all those issues , what's wrong with the Sat Nav" Laughing Laughing Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #366233 9th Jan 2016 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1