Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Analogue to digital in-car television conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RSWilson

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Thank you Miggit - this is great info!

I am building a logical picture in my head of how to move forward but I have some question along the way.
Would I be right in thinking I could:
1 - Get a digital tuner and camera and a copy of http://www.navcoder.com/ that would allow me to configure my existing none touch screen unit until I can afford to get the BMW unit?
2 - Get the BMW unit and then reuse the previously acquired camera and digital tuner with the BMW head unit.
This staged approach would see me not having to buy anything that we are "throwing away" or "buying a new version for the BMW unit" - is that correct?

Also, the existing car doesn't appear to have Bluetooth although it has what appears to be an after market type speaker in the passenger side foot well. Is it possible it doesn't have bluetooth? Did some come with and some without? If I upgrade to the BMW unit would it have Bluetooth or is there more wiring etc.. .to add for this?

Many Thanks
Richard

Post #379831 28th Mar 2016 7:24pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

To be honest with you, I would personally buy the DVB-T tuner an NTSC camera, (which if you get an X5 one in black with the light, will slot in to the existing numberplate lamp hole... you just have to cut the back away) I used one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Camera-F...SwzOxUVgj1 Bit of faffing about cutting the old lamp holder away, but it will fit.

Get a DVB-T like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-Digital-...SwFqJWl8gk

And a copy of NavCoder IF you need TV on the move, with a lead like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-USB-OBD-...JWnhu0.... I used this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Data-Cable-E...gZIV28ZD2A but I can see on difference between the 2 except price Thumbs Up

The install is fairly straight forward, you may have to extend the IR sensor lead, but it will work at a fraction of the cost of everything else. And unless you have an overwhelming desire to control the TV with the rotary nav buttons I'd put up with the remote..... which is the only way of accessing all the functions of the box... and seams to come with the other installations Shocked You can get adaptors to use the old aerials in the car, or some have brought the stick to the inside of the window ones.... I'd be inclined to try the originals and if they weren't up to par, get some replacements from Ping Pong... they might that 4 weeks to arrive but you'll pay less for 2 than you will 1 in the UK Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #379848 28th Mar 2016 9:26pm
RSWilson

Thank you Miggit.
I read your post where you'd added a rear camera and the experience you had.
I'll order one of these cameras and DVB-T (which saves a fortune!) I've downloaded NavCoder software and I already have one of these blue cables as I have the INPA software for BMW (which is great btw).

I'll feedback on here how this kit works as this is great info.

Thanks very much for all your prompt feedback Miggit - it's people like you that make these forums great, I really appreciate it!

I had recently see this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121921451021?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
However your idea is much better.

Many Thanks
Richard

Post #379850 28th Mar 2016 10:19pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

NavCoder is very handy for things like fixing the PDC and turning off the LCM when you've fitted led's and it don't like them Mr. Green Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #379851 28th Mar 2016 10:23pm
RSWilson

Hi Miggit, a question if I may. The DVB-T you had a link to on ebay. How would I connect this to the cars wiring as the blue and white plugs on my car won't be able to connect to this DVB-T?
Indeed the connections seem to be proprietary Range Rover plugs. Are you suggestion that to fit a generic DVB-T unit I'd have to cut the plugs off and adapt?
Thanks
Richard

Post #380262 31st Mar 2016 10:27pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

What you need are some of these pins; 7180891 Contact female 0.5-0.75mm² Quadlock £3.29 RS components for 10. and a phono lead.

Cut the phono lead in half and strip about an inch of the outer back, install the pins to the lead, and then with one joined to the shield wire (outer) push in to space number 15 and the inner in to number 6 White plug and plug the other end in to the video out of the DVB-T.

Then with other half of the phono lead do the same again plugging the outer to 5 and inner to 4 (white plug) and run that to the left audio out on the DVB-T.

There is no need to cut any of the factory wiring, as you are adding to it Thumbs Up While your in that plug add the wires to pins 13 Video + and 14 Video - (rev camera), it will save you having to open it up a second time Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #380266 31st Mar 2016 10:48pm
RSWilson

Thank you!
For the avoidance of doubt is the number 7180891 the RS Component Part number that relates to this item please?

They are out of stock till July so I'll look elsewhere if this is the correct item.

Thanks again!

Post #380302 1st Apr 2016 10:13am
miggit

United Kingdom 

These will do Thumbs Up http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-contacts/7180879/

I did buy some from CPC farnell, and while they fitted they don't have the outer grip the RS ones have.... so they were shorter and a pain in the butt to push in to the plug. I also had to add some solder as the crimp tool that I've got didn't quite squeeze hard enough. Not impossible... but check before you insert in to the plug as the pins are a git to remove after they have been inserted Rolling Eyes

The other thing that I found was it is easier to crimp those pins on to some thin wire and do the main connection away from the plug, at first I was worried about interference.... then I did a camera for a pal and we cut the plug off the lead so that we could thread it through the rubber tube at the top of the tailgate...... It turned out not to be screened at all Shocked but didn't suffer in any way Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #380325 1st Apr 2016 1:51pm
brabus

Italy 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

Hello guys,

I upgraded to DVB-T in my '03 Vogue buying the kit from www.pibus.info/tv

If you are not familiar with electronics, the thing is not very easy to do. But if you do, you saved yourself quite a lot of money, and keep the original electronics as intact as possible. I strongly recommend it, it is really worth the effort.

If you need any help, Pete is helpful and very skilled; in case, you can also ask me!

Post #380573 3rd Apr 2016 7:08pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

interesting site Thumbs Up : ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #380581 3rd Apr 2016 7:38pm
RSWilson

Sorry for the delay in reply.
I've been trying to track down a spare blue plug so i can adapt mine as neatly as possible. I spent some time on live cgat to tyco electronics. They told me that part number was restricted to Bmw supply only but are going to see if they have another part under a diffrent number and come back to me. I called Bmw but they have no record of that Bmw part number. I have in the past bought the raw plugs and pins from bmw for my other car. I've made little looms from washing machine wires to repair other parts and i was hoping to do the same here. If TE tell me a compatible part number for the plug I'll post it here. It will be useful to have some spare wire into a block connector for these changes.
Thanks for all the info thus far.
Regards
Richard

Post #380617 3rd Apr 2016 10:13pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Bud if you've played with that sort of thing before then you'll not need another plug, once you get your head around the fact that it's a 2 piece affair, and you have to slide the inner out through the side to access the pins, it really is easy Thumbs Up The wire that BMW /LR used is quite strong, and I have yet to have a wire brake on me, and I've had several plugs apart to add wires Wink

FYI all the plugs that are used in the BMW's and the ffrr's are Tyco but made under licence to BMW, with the exception of the 3 pin plug you cannot get them from anyone except BMW Evil or Very Mad Basically they took the Tyco Product and either added 2 extra ways or removed them result you can get 3,4,8,12, and 16 way plugs anywhere and BMW used 3,6,10 way plugs, the gits Evil or Very Mad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #380625 3rd Apr 2016 11:25pm
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Great thread so far, I'll be doing this to my 04 vogue.
Does anyone know how to add TV screens into the rear headrests please ?

Post #381223 8th Apr 2016 1:10am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Pin 2 is video out + and pin 11 is the video out -, on the white TV plug Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #381225 8th Apr 2016 2:36am
noblerover

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

Hi I'm new here

I have a 2003 4.4 Vogue with the analogue TV Tuner. Studying this thread, I have fitted the auxiliary AV Phono leads as per the plug illustration in this thread to allow AV in and out. So now my question. How do I set the TV tuner so it displays the auxiliary signal? There is no aux option on the Television menu that I can find. I read in a BMW forum that it is channel 30 but this appears to be just another analogue channel store space on my car??? Confused

Post #511763 12th Apr 2019 7:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>