Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Reading glasses or Lens replacement surgery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black
Reading glasses or Lens replacement surgery?

Been using reading glasses for presbyopia for a while now but getting totally Censored ed off at the amount of times I keep losing them or leaving them in the car ,jacket pocket or wherever and wondered if getting lens replacement surgery was an option? I know there are several types of lenses and surgery offered by the likes of Optical Express and Optimax but none seem to guarantee 100% that reading glasses can be binned once and for all,however on doing a bit of research it seems that light adjustable lenses can do that http://www.londoneyehospital.com/treatment...able-lens/ Wondered if anyone here has had this particular procedure done or for that matter any of the procedures offered by Optical Express etc and what their opinions were on it? The forums premier drug dealer and human trafficking consultant

Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8, Range Rover Sport HSE 3.6TDV8, Audi S8 V10, Jaguar XKR Conv, Jaguar XJS V12 Conv, Land Rover Disco 3, Lexus LS 400 MkIV, Lexus LS400 Mk III.

Post #379629 27th Mar 2016 2:31pm
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black

This might help but only about laser stuff and not lens replacement...will be watching this thread with interest.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic32088.html GONE 2010 Facelifted 3.6 TDV8 - Stornoway Grey + 22" Overfinch Olympus
HAVE 1999 Discovery 2 GS 4.0 V8 - Silver - Off Road Toy
GONE 2013 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue. Black with Silver roofline and 22" s
HAVE 2015 Jaguar XF.

Post #379631 27th Mar 2016 2:38pm
wackyjim

Hi Paul..I posted on that thread , a friend of mine had lens replacement done years ago and he was delighted but his eyesight was beyond blind Laughing so anything was better than what he had therefore I think its unreliable to get an objective opinion from him. My eyesight is pretty decent other than reading/computer work so don't want to go down this line if other aspects of vision are compromised ie halos, colour balance and night time driving etc........... Laser was complete waste of time and money for me The forums premier drug dealer and human trafficking consultant

Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8, Range Rover Sport HSE 3.6TDV8, Audi S8 V10, Jaguar XKR Conv, Jaguar XJS V12 Conv, Land Rover Disco 3, Lexus LS 400 MkIV, Lexus LS400 Mk III.

Post #379636 27th Mar 2016 2:59pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Stick with your glasses, just get a couple of pairs. Eye surgery is quite tricky and not something I would trust to a high street optician. Others may well disagree and will have stories of how easy it is etc. Just think though, you only have the one pair of eyes and when they start to go, getting glasses sorts out the problem with no risk. Also bear in mind that you may have to get new lenses done again in a few years. None of these solutions are permanent.

Post #379638 27th Mar 2016 3:04pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I'm paranoid about my eyes and have been using reading glasses for about 5 years now. I would never consider elective eye surgery. Maybe it was because my granddad was blind that I saw the limitations it can impose on your life, especially if you go blind later in life. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #379641 27th Mar 2016 3:12pm
MCM66

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

My wife had lens replacement about 6 months ago. Had needed glasses for both distance and reading, initially reading glasses about 10 years ago, and distance 5 years ago. Went to optical express, but be assured their private clinic in Glasgow is night and day different to shop front.
Multi-focal lenses used, one for short focus and the other for distance. Your brain does the rest. Operation on each eye done a fortnight apart. Eye patch for 4 hours then shield overnight for a week. No pain, no complications. Vision now spot on and glasses in the bin.
One drawback, and a fairly common one, night time driving a chore as lights now have halos around them. It has slightly improved over the last 6 months but is distracting enough that if she depended on night time driving she doesn't know if she could manage. Can't remember the % this affects but she felt they did not highlight this enough during consultations.
She doesn't drive often at night so on balance has been very successful and treatment and aftercare has been first class. Cost, £4000

Post #379687 27th Mar 2016 10:17pm
Duracell777

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi. I had my natural lenses replaced almost 2 yrs ago.

ONLY reason was to keep my LGV licence as Brussels decided to move the goal posts on what was allowed regarding wearing glasses for vocational driving. This does not affect ordinary car licence holders, (yet).

For those interested, anyone with a vocational licence and require more than +8 diopters correction on their glasses (not contact lenses) can no longer hold said licence.
The only solution is to wear contact lenses or have corrective surgery. I could not get on with contacts so surgery (or give up my license) was the only option.
Due to the halo effect when driving at night with multi focal lenses (and the need to have better distance vision, mutifocal lenses compromise distance vision slightly), DVLA will only permit mono focal lenses to be used.
This in my case meant I still have to wear reading glasses, which can be a pain and I sympathise with the OP in this respect. Although I do not now need glasses for most things (especially for driving), I dont think I would have surgery unless I had to.
The surgeon was great (he does around 4 or 5 an hour, 6-7 hrs day, 2 or 3 days a week) Takes 10 mins and the only thing I felt was the needle for the anasthetic. One eye at a time with a week or so in between.
I repeat, I ONLY HAD SURGERY TO KEEP MY LICENCE Exclamation I had been wearing glasses since I was 18 months old (almost 50 yrs) and would not undergo surgery otherwise.

Andy.

Post #379706 28th Mar 2016 1:10am
47p2

Scotland 

Get yersel a white stick and a guide dug Laughing Laughing

Post #379709 28th Mar 2016 3:13am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I was -7 in both eyes and had laser surgery many years back. A few years ago I had multiple detached retinas (2 in one eye, one in the other) and after the third one, the lens had to be removed as it had gone cloudy and the surgeon needed to be able to see into the eye.

So for 6 months I was aphakic (no lens in that eye) and used a contact lens instead. After 6 months the surgeon fitted an artificial lens. I use reading glasses in dim light but not otherwise. I don't need glasses for driving but I have a pair of multi-focals for the computer. The only (minor) problems are that one eye sees white as white (the artificial lens) and the other sees white as a pale beige (a mild cataract in that eye) - and one eye is slightly long-sighted and the other slightly short-sighted - but the brain compensates quite well for that.

47p2 wrote:
Get yersel a white stick and a guide dug Laughing Laughing

Tomorrow we get guide dog number 21 and take dog no. 20 back to Guide Dogs. She's off to start work with a blind client on Wednesday. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #379710 28th Mar 2016 3:49am
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Jim

I've just had mine done at London eye hospital.
PM me if you like

Jay 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #379752 28th Mar 2016 11:49am
wackyjim

Jay..... Sent you a pm The forums premier drug dealer and human trafficking consultant

Post #379756 28th Mar 2016 12:43pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I had cataract surgery in 2003 and 4 replacing both lenses with implant lenses that are single focal. One is fixed focus for distance and the other for reading. That works well for me. I asked my SA surgeon doing my retinal detachement surgery in 2013 about the multi focal implants but he recommended against it saying he heard too many negative experiences.

If I were you I'd wait till multi focal implants are a bit better before becoming a cyborg as well Twisted Evil MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #379760 28th Mar 2016 1:14pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Back mate Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #379768 28th Mar 2016 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1