Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Thinking about folding. What say you?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cliff5.0sc

Thinking about folding. What say you?

My 2011 SC. I love her but I have to do some deciding on whether to move her for a Toyota.

The Bad:

I need to Re-time a camshaft (hopefully that would be it) as a p054d popped up. This would be the fourth time tearing into the engine, as those camshafts are tricky to torque as that is part of the timing.

I also likely need to rebuild the rotor bearings on Supercharger (I did the front bearings and isolator but still get a tvs 1900 knock now and then.

I am not sure but there may be a leak from the sunroof but haven't smoke tested it.

89k miles

need new tires at some point

dead pixel on dashboard (doesn't bother me though)

driver seat lumbar doesn't inflate

No warranty and if the engine completely blows I don't have dry powder to buy a new one.

The Good:

No rust -- Arizona Car

No accidents no frame damage, no paint damage

Nearly perfect interior

The Ugly:

Just put in:

new belts

new sparks

new running gear fluids

new water pump

Would you fold or stay? OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #408481 9th Oct 2016 5:07pm
themule

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Stay.

Post #408487 9th Oct 2016 5:43pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Toyo...what?

Sorry Very Happy

I'm not a tech, so I would bring it to a good garage, have it checked, repaired and keep it. That's only because of the passion, not for budget, intelligence nor reliability. Apart from my Jaguars I don't know any daily car that has given me this feeling of wellbeing. Thumbs Up

Post #408608 10th Oct 2016 8:20am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Well said Robert... Keep it Whistle You will regret it if you don’t Thumbs Up

Post #408614 10th Oct 2016 8:34am
themule

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Not sure what Toyota model you are thinking off but a complex, luxury vehicle like a FF will always tend to have more issues than a more 'standard' one - there is simply more to go wrong. Most cars don't have inflatable lumbar support or superchargers so by definition they ain't going to break.

Anyway - my dad got a Toyota Yaris a few weeks ago, driving home from the dealer it suddenly took off with max acceleration and he had to do an emergency stop to narrowly avoid a major accident. It turned out the recall had never been done and it's a known issue. I would take a leaky sunroof over that any day Very Happy

Post #408619 10th Oct 2016 8:53am
JohnJ

Italy 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Toyota interiors cannot compare to RR, performancewise... I don't know which Toyota model but the SC is a powerhouse....

I would re-consider what you call "The Ugly": new belts , new sparks , new running gear fluids , new water pump
these are major jobs that you should now leverage with more and more miles on the RR....

My 02 = Stay!

Post #408622 10th Oct 2016 8:58am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I recall discussing the TLC 200 (diesel only here, I assume you are considering the 5.7 petrol) with two different LR Assistance technicians recovering my current car on two different occasions. One said "they're not as nice to drive" and that was definitely borne out by my test drive. The suspension/damping struck me as especially inferior, but it was also slower and a less serene drive. Of course there is nothing serene about expensive repair requirements or being stuck at the roadside. The other said that in the context of his work for the AA he had attended various farm Hiluxes (not the same of course) which had problems with wheel bearings and other components in the steering/suspension area and that some of the farmers were going back to Defenders as these were more robust.

The LC 200s do well in the production category of the Dakar rally (diesels there though and with suspension upgrades and different wheels and tyres of course) so are clearly a credible alternative, and maybe more practical/better value than (say) a new 405 s/c. My guess is that if you have a reasonably extended test of the LC you'll prefer the RR, I certainly did. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #408641 10th Oct 2016 1:06pm
cliff5.0sc

Thanks for the replies, it's hard to disagree with any of that input! I will certainly miss the rover. I really like the running gear, the elocker traction, the low range, the hdc, the accelleration, the beautiful exterior and interior, the great paint and seats...

I certainly love the truck, I have also thought about going back to a 4.2 2009 Autobio versus a toyota. In terms of the Ugly, I also realized I bought a rear cargo liner, headlight protectors, new front control arms links ball joint, and installed paddle shifters. Shocked

Honestly I completely agree the toyota sucks and it will dent and scratch. I have definitely been in an fender bender due to the bs brakes they fitted in the prius which would just stop electronic breaking if the car lost traction while breaking. The unintended acceleration also worries me as pointed out in the yaris above. And finally I am not a fan of ISIS and Toyota selling ISIS cars made me not consider them after my 2008 prius which was my previous car. Previously to the thread I was looking for a 5.7L Supercharged Tundra CrewMax or just a normal car, an avalaon.

That being said it I am reminded of the classic top gear where they set the Toyota pickup on fire, and tried to kill it over a course of several episodes. And part of me is attracted to the low running prices and their reliability.

I guess I am a bit nervous since I had my 2011 out of action for about 3 months and have spent $5,000 on repairs this year.

So I guess its time to tear into her once again... Neutral Sad hopefully fourth time is a charm... OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Last edited by cliff5.0sc on 11th Oct 2016 10:28pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #408887 11th Oct 2016 10:13pm
Big Boy R44ROV

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

the simple answer is. You're at the traffic lights in your ToyMotor, and someone pulls up alongside in their 5.0 Range Rover. They look at you as though they've stepped in something. You look at them wishing you had never sold yours......Whilst the Range Rover has already set off and is half a mile up the road !!
in other words...STAY Thumbs Up Tony
You're always in the Censored ........it's just the depth that varies
2011 5.0 Autobiography Fuji White
2019 Audi Q2 in White
04 SL55AMG

Gone:
07 4.2 SC in silver.
06 4.2 SC in black RSE
RRS 4.2 SC in Black RSE
52 4.4 Vogue in silver
04 Mercedes CLK 320 Conv
03 4.0 V8 ES Disco in Silver
00 TD5 90 County
98 4.6 HSE in Epsom x3
97 3.9ES Disco
93 L 4.2 LSE in black
too many classics to mention !
V8 Lightweight
Too many series to mention !
IID for L322

Post #408890 11th Oct 2016 10:24pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Fold Thumbs Up

Buy the Toyota ever time Thumbs Up

You know the answer or you wouldn't have asked the question on there Wink Whistle

Post #408891 11th Oct 2016 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1