Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > wheelchair hoist.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
wheelchair hoist.

So after the delivery of swmbo's new wheelchair, I contacted Trevor Aldridge at light oaks mobility stoke.
he confirmed what I had thought about the arm and A frame fixed to the car. The A frame is exactly the same for the lifting arm I have 80 kg, and the one I need 120kg although the chair with back rest removed arm supports and leg rests, the chair weighs approximately 108kg.
So he has a rumble around and gives me a call back, he has a lifting arm with 150kg lifting capacity, still the same A frame that is in my car.
I go and get it monday night, and manage to have a play on Wednesday, I have swapped the big ram off the arm and put it on my 80kg arm, as the crank in the arm is slightly different, btw the box section is exactly the same too, on both arms.
After fiddling around, I can now get the lift above the tailgate, but not the drop to the floor and car is in access mode.
When I first met Trevor, was in awe of my ffrr, and said he would also love one, well when I visited him on Monday night there was indeed a ffrr on his drive and what a beauty 59 plate tdv8 vogue se in black. He continued to say about an indy he has been using in leekbrook leek called LRX services, he said" I must be the only person in the uk who has come away from a land rover place 4 times with a bill for less thsn 50 quid".
he said " I have nothing but praise for them, they are ex land rover know nearly everything that needs to be known, and they won't rip you off."
Well I thought, that's handy to know as their not too far from me, so having read on here the access height can be adjusted to go lower, Ive booked it in on Monday, earlymorn. Some may know of these people on here I personally hadn't, they started up in 2008 and all reviews I have read have been very good. I of course will let you know how I get on and post some pics of the new arm.
I realise this is a niche market and doesn't affect many people, but you may hear of someone who needs some advice about it, or is thinking of having it done, most "experts"say "you can't do it on a range rover because of the tailgate". Well I think it's down to cost as they haven't the time to fiddle aroundto get it right.
greg Thumbs Up

Post #392072 17th Jun 2016 8:26pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

interesting read greg, looking forward to the pics.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #392080 17th Jun 2016 9:06pm
gregdav

Thumbs Up

Post #392082 17th Jun 2016 9:34pm
LROMAD

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hope you get sorted. I'm not too far from Leekbrook but not heard ofLRX services.Will be interesting to hear how you get on . I've always used David Pugh(town and country Landovers Sandbach)Good , knowledgeable and reasonable rates . Pulled me out of a tight spot a few times. Ray Very Happy

Post #392088 17th Jun 2016 10:33pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I see from you signature that you have a 2005 car and that is a bit of a transitional time for electronics , you might ( emfasis might) only be able to lower ALL of your heights . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #392108 18th Jun 2016 3:33am
gregdav

Hi axle, my car is a dec 2004 31st I think, bit confusing on here for folks as always being asked or mistaken for if I have touch screen.
Yes mine is touchscreen but not a face lift, the system on my car is bmw. The chap at lrx did ask if the software had been updated, well I haven't a clue, although he did say it doesn't cost anymore, just has to be plugged in for an hour to update. He's quoted me £20 to £30 for it, I have a good idea mine is adjustable separately, but thanks for the heads up, all advice very appreciated. Thumbs Up
@LROMAD. I'm between stafford and stone off A34, when I had my d2 and lived at hednesford, I used mercia 4x4, they only did land rovers, ken and Keith looked after me very well on the jobs I couldn't do myself, I would still gladly use them but I do believe they will be retiring soon and as most of us know it's very difficult to find an indy you know and trust. I hope lrx live up to what I have read and heard about them
will let you know.
Greg. Thumbs Up

Post #392112 18th Jun 2016 6:17am
jaybear

France 

gregdav

pls provide pictures of the installation . My wife is in wheelchair also , and all options are good to see .

Thanks in advance . Jaybear

2002 V8 , premier edition , 19" alloys ,

Post #392321 20th Jun 2016 10:21am
gregdav

Hi jaybear, nice to hear from you.
I will of course update when I get sorted, take some pics of brackets and where I have fixed them.
I think I have over engineered mine from what I have seen, but that won't hurt anything.
I very much hope you and your wife are well since our last conversation.
I'm hopefully going to keep my rr a bit longer than anticipated, as I feel the difference in the maintenance and affordability of the later tdv8 will come up short, my aim is to wait for the 4.4s to come down in price a bit, then maybe have a scout around.
Thanks.
Greg Thumbs Up

Post #392382 20th Jun 2016 7:04pm
gregdav

Update. Well it seems, as I have read on here, the indy's and main dealers cannot get access to the software required to lower the ff.
land rover have stopped it. Big Cry
so today I have bit the bullet and ordered an iid bt tool to get the job done, ducky dan gave me a good price, it should be here friday. Very Happy
now the fun starts as I'm a complete technophobe.
Probably end up with rr on its roof Laughing
greg

Post #393685 29th Jun 2016 8:03pm
gregdav

Right, lowered the car with the iid tool, haven't had much time to play but getting the wheelchair in and out easier now, in fact better than the last one. Unfortunately my phone (nokia lumia) doesn't support the app, so I'm in the process of getting my first I phone, I did the lowering on the integrated interface, quite easy really when you get your head around it.
I also made an adjustment to the arm, the lower ram that pushes and pulls the arm in and out has a metal bracket attached to the bottom of the arm, I've cut the weld reset the position of it closer to the inside, hence giving more travel outwards, this little mod has allowed the arm to push the wheelchair out further so now it will lift and lower over the corner of the tailgate between the front and rear wheels of the wheelchair, it makes no contact with the tailgate at all.
the one thing I have noticed is after loading the wheelchair and the standard height has been reached when I come to remove the chair it, the car doesn't drop as far as when loaded, this must be the eas beefing up to allow for the extra weight, I've now added another link on the adjustable chain to allow for it, as I've said, it's a trial and error fit.
will post some pics when I have some time, son's moving house this week so helping them as much as I can.
I'm really looking forward now to having a play with the iidtool, it seems quite easy and I'm assuming it will be even better on the bt app.
greg Thumbs Up

Post #394731 6th Jul 2016 8:29am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thanks for the update Greg. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #394734 6th Jul 2016 8:51am
jaybear

France 

Gregdav

Pics pics pics ...... images are better than a 1000 words .
one you moved your son , if you can join pics it will be much appreciated ... Smile Jaybear

2002 V8 , premier edition , 19" alloys ,

Post #394755 6th Jul 2016 11:44am
gregdav

Ok lads, son's moving all this week I am trying to split myself so he doesn't have to have time off work, he got the keys early on a vacant property so the usual curtain rail and such like have to be done.
I will definitely post some pics, but not till next week, I'm driving the van on Saturday Shocked

Post #394812 6th Jul 2016 7:45pm
gregdav

Here's a few pics of the a frame installation for some who might be interested. The first one shows the forward bracket nearest the back of the rear seats, all the brackets are made from 50 x 50 x 5mm angle iron, and fashioned with a cutting disc.

I used rivnuts 6 in total. There is no access here to the inside of the chassis, so I used 2 pieces of angle, and cut some flat off one edge of the angle and fashioned 2 ears to protrude above for drill holes. You must keep measuring and checking the position of the a frame.
I managed to get the a frame about 10mm away from the rear tailgate screen.

Then I welded the ears to the angle, clamped together and drilled through. Another pic shows a different view.

You could weld a plate to the chassis with nuts welded to the rear and holes drilled in chassis to clear, to be honest I've had this fitted 2 years, and it hasn't let me down yet, still as solid as a rock.

The next one to tackle was the main bottom pivot point, a little tricky as this needs to be quite solid, the height is important too. I found a couple of good anchor points, a mixture of nuts and bolts and rivnuts, I managed to fashion a couple of brackets that anchored the side and vertical of the bottom a frame.

I can't remember if I managed to get a backing plate on this one, but access is limited on all.

Post #395764 12th Jul 2016 9:48pm
gregdav

For some reason I've posted a duplicate pic and can't get to remove it.
anyway, the upper bracket, not too hard, I hve used a couple of cut and shut methods, for those who don't know, you cut into one face of the angle iron and create a vee, then bend the attached part to close the gap, this gives you in effect a bend, making it easier to get your bracket to fit from one point to another where it is attached. Once you have the desired angle, you weld the cut piece up, hence cut and shut. I have used this method on the 2 rear brackets top and bottom. They are probably over engineered, but as I've said, it's stood up over 2 years, with no sign of movement.

Once the a frame is in position, there's the small detail of trimming the interior trim to facilitate the brackets. I used a hacksaw blade to trim most of the parts

Post #395772 12th Jul 2016 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>