Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Judder/shudder/pulsating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joek0

Ireland 
Judder/shudder/pulsating

Having some issues with the TD6 which is driving me bonkers. I'm getting a judder, pulsating through the steering wheel, its actually pretty violent at times and you can see it moving the seats.
I've read countless posts on here and I'm still none the wiser, im not really sure where to begin anymore. Lots of posts point to the obvious torque converter problems but im not so sure.

It seems my problems are around the 1500rpm right through to 2500rpm. It can range from slight pulsating to full on violent judder, especially when on the gas, its up hill, its downhill, its on flat road, I press the accelerator it judders. If I back off the gas and keep it smooth its not as bad but it can still be felt through the car.

It does it at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 75 mph. It also does it in sport mode in any gear.
Strange thing I noticed when in park or neutral it gets a flutter bang on 1500rpm.

I was coming down a hill the other day so decided to change in to neutral and coast it (I'm not sure weather i should be doing that but I thought why not)
But even coasting I can still feel the pulsating in the wheel its not as bad as accelerating but its still present and can be felt through the seats.

See this is what is confusing me, if it was the torque converter or gearbox related surely it wouldn't do it coasting.?

I'm also getting a clunk when I take my foot off the gas and then back on, again I can feel this through the car.

It almost feels like something is loose or worn, but it has just passed its MOT and nothing was out of the ordinary.

Post #647556 7th Nov 2022 11:04am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Prop shaft?

Post #647557 7th Nov 2022 11:11am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

If you get the 'clunk' when you take your foot off / on, the gas then it may be a problem with the drive train, prop shaft / drive shaft problem. Sounds like something is worn and backlash will give you that clunk.

Especially with covers in place, the MOT testers could have missed something, not unknown with these cars.
First thing I would do is get the car up in the air on a ramp to carry out a full inspection of the underside, and go from there. See if you can find any play in the drive system.
Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #647560 7th Nov 2022 11:16am
Joek0

Ireland 

Cheers for the replies lads, much appreciated. I will take it back to my mechanic to have another look. I'm sure its not the torque converter, it changes gear pretty well amd doesn't drop the revs when its locked up, there's no fluctuation either.

My mechanic went through the car before its mot but he said everything was good, just needed a cv boot on the front thats it.

Maybe he missed something or it was OK to pass at the time, its been doing it since I bought it but its getting worse.

Post #647566 7th Nov 2022 11:59am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

If you have the car stationary does it do it if you rock the steering wheel side to side? [with the engine running]
Could be a bulge in a tyre.
Power steering fluid level OK.
Wheel nuts tight.
Anti roll bar links not snapped.
How long has the cv boot been damaged? Might be a worn joint if exposed for a long time.
Loads to check really.

Post #647588 7th Nov 2022 1:31pm
lodelanelad

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black

Sticking brake calipers?

Post #647775 9th Nov 2022 6:43pm
Joek0

Ireland 

No it doesn't do it while stationary, and I have checked calipers after a good spin and theyre not hot at all they are bearly warm even. I drive 100 miles a day in it.
Front tyres are new, had wheels balanced and had tracking done.

Everything else has been checked according to my mechanic and I believe him he's a good guy who knows his cars. Its booked in with him next week on Thursday hes going to look at it again, he did ask if it has got worse since it was last in.

Symptoms point towards gear box or torque converter I suppose, but surely it wouldn't do it in neutral going down a hill..?
Its not as bad coasting its enough to move the seats and steering wheel, its just way worse when it needs a bit of gas.

Could it be the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel.?

There was a moment the other day when I was going along and it didn't do it at all, it felt smooth and was floating along, but I backed off the revs to slow down a little then when I got back on the gas it started to judder again. Its strange. If I can keep the car at a constant speed around 100km it only does it slightly, then as soon as I gently speed up I get the judder and wheel wobble, but if I back off and keep it at around 110 again it only does it slightly.

It seems as though the judder is present at all times but then its get worse under load. It also felf like it was doing it when I braked heavy yesterday.

Post #647807 10th Nov 2022 10:32am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I may well be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time Whistle ) but, the 'wheel wobble' symptoms that you report would suggest that it is not a gearbox / TC problem, vibrations maybe, but not wobble. Try switching the front / rear wheels around and see if the problem remains. ( Simple cheap start to the diagnosis ) other than that, see if your mechanic can see anything when it is up on the ramp on Thursday - play in the driveshafts, U/J's???

Once diagnosed, please let us know the reason.

Post #647814 10th Nov 2022 11:21am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Get the engine and gearbox mounts checked.

Post #647815 10th Nov 2022 11:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1