Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Wheel & tyre size for snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kay

Wheel & tyre size for snow

I have 295/40/20 contis on my RR I also have the original 255/50/19 Goodyear Wranglers on the original 19" wheels is it better to have the narrower 19"s for snow, Is the width important or is it the type of tread
Iam thinking of sell the 19"s

Thanks
Kay

Post #40435 1st Dec 2010 9:59pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

The "Winter" or "Snow" type of tyre is suitable for snow and ice covered roads as well as normal driving conditions with most brands.

The tread pattern features a heavily siped, fine-block design with grooves that are deep and wide, providing excellent driving traction and braking performance on winter road surfaces.

The tread rubber used in winter tyres provides good friction characteristics and suppleness even in low temperatures.

Recent developments in tyre pattern design and rubber technology have greatly improved winter tyre performance.

Some brands like Vredestein are excellent all year round but may wear quicker than Summer Tyres.

Post #40452 1st Dec 2010 11:22pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

295 is too wide for a FFRR anyway. Wider than any size LR specified, which means reduced ground pressure and more sliding in low traction conditions.

Out of the two I'd much rather be on the 255 Goodyears. Mine are performing well in the snow, although we've only had about 6 inches.

Post #40453 1st Dec 2010 11:24pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

kay, stick the 255's on for the snow..i have 295's on like you and although they look good and run well on dry , they do aquaplane very very slightly on icecy snow as i found out last night coming up the m20.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #40479 2nd Dec 2010 9:50am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Anyone thought about keeping with a standard all-year tyre to cope with 95% of conditions then using snow/ice socks for the odd packed snow/ice rink hill situation if met in an emergency/one-off?

I'd assume the Pirelli scorpions my 19" were sold to me with will cope with most winter conditions slightly better than the 20" with conti's the S/C was wearing up to 2 weeks ago - but you'd still have a problem on sheet ice which is surely on it's way to the UK right now if not there already on some roads.

Post #40483 2nd Dec 2010 10:26am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the 255/50/20 tyre size is mostly standard on the newer RR's unless it came with 19's..if i had the 255/50/20's i would stick with those for both summer and winter...
the 19's are still 255's so there wont be a lot of difference between the two.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #40484 2nd Dec 2010 10:30am
Fox

United Kingdom 

dubbs wrote:
Anyone thought about keeping with a standard all-year tyre to cope with 95% of conditions then using snow/ice socks for the odd packed snow/ice rink hill situation if met in an emergency/one-off?

I'd assume the Pirelli scorpions my 19" were sold to me with will cope with most winter conditions slightly better than the 20" with conti's the S/C was wearing up to 2 weeks ago - but you'd still have a problem on sheet ice which is surely on it's way to the UK right now if not there already on some roads.

I thought the Pirelli Scorpion was an all year tyre.
Certainly doing OK here in Essex. No plans to put 'winter' tyres on at all. Keeping my 20 inch 255s on.

My thoughts were that LR supplied a tyre that could do most things to a degree, rather than the silly sport tyres family hatchbacks tend to come on.
Couldn't even get our Skoda off the drive on the day I did 84 miles in snow and ice with no problems.

Post #40491 2nd Dec 2010 11:24am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i concur with my furry friend..pirelli scorpions are classed as 'all terrain' tyres and should give their best in all conditions.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #40500 2nd Dec 2010 12:30pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Buckingham Blue

The only thing it may need some help with is the sheet ice/hill scenario - in those conditions a snow/ice tyre would come in to its own... however, my thinking was some snow socks chuck in the back would ensure that in that event you'd have them in reserve and they cost far less than a full set of ice tyres for the odd freak snow occurrence Smile

Post #40501 2nd Dec 2010 12:30pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you are going to have to get really bad conditions for the RR not to be able to move, obviously if the tyre is bald then that wont help.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #40502 2nd Dec 2010 12:32pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

I would definitely put winter tyres on. The problem is not so much going uphill but going downhill on sheet ice very scarey! I had this once in Switzerland and had good traction on all-weather tyres going uphill but going downhill on the same road I nearly killed myself!
On 20 inch wheels you can get the winter Contis which are really good and LR supply an excellent snow traction system for the 20 inch front wheels if you really get stuck.

Post #40547 2nd Dec 2010 5:39pm
bogie

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

For 20" wheels, the best I found were some Vredestein Wintrac 4 extreme M&S in 255/50/20 £175 a corner fitted so went for them...I live on a hill on the outskirts of a village and still had to dig the Range out of 2 foot of snow all round, then put it at full height to get away Smile

keeping the Michelins for summer..... cheers
bogie

Post #40564 2nd Dec 2010 8:12pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Winter tyres are not all about traction and getting underway (something which the RR manages ok under most conditions). Their primary role is to allow you to stop safely. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #40567 2nd Dec 2010 8:19pm
kay

Ive been out for the first time in some proper snow in the lanes where I live & it seemed Ok I thought it might wander & drift about with wide tyres but it was fine, its good enough to get me in & out the lane I live in so I think the 20" will do for the odd occasion it snows badly
Kay

Post #40576 2nd Dec 2010 8:44pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

spot on kay, the amount of time we get snow in the year is small... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #40579 2nd Dec 2010 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>