Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Locking diff options (and yes i have pressed search)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
royalgoldfish

Australia 
Locking diff options (and yes i have pressed search)

Wondering if the X5 diff in LSD form would fit the L322 as from just some browsing they look the same, has anyone on here tried this? Don't let school get in the way of your education

Post #403570 6th Sep 2016 1:57am
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

A LSD is not a locking diff.

From your other posts I assume you mean on early L322's you are thinking of buying?

If you are wanting 'locking' diffs then go for the facelift L322's which have a locking centre and optional 'locking' rear diff. I think the 4.2 supercharged models over here came with them as standard but don't quote me. Certainly the rear locking diff was an option on all models. Ignore the dash display showing the rear diff 'locked', it doesn't mean you have one as the display was common across the board. To know whether you have one you have to get underneath and look.

The rear 'locking' diff from later model L322's in theory might fit earlier models but it is electronically variably controlled (clutch pack diff rather than a true locker diff) so the control side would need to be worked out. It was an idea I was toying with but with no locking centre diff on early models (just a Torsen diff) it does seem a lot of effort for not a huge gain.

Go and try an early L322 off road and you'll be surprised what it can do without any locking diffs and just plain old traction control. They have to be driven differently but the results can be virtually the same.

Post #403595 6th Sep 2016 9:39am
royalgoldfish

Australia 

Hey mate, yeah i read about the the e-diff, i was thinking the LSD would be better than nothing because i don't wish to fiddle the retrofitting of a facelift one either. Ive been through some rough stuff with an early one actually but although composed had the whole needing wheelspin before the TC comes in and the hill decent having hiccups on the muddy stuff although not really a problem to be honest, would just like all the help i can get in traction in order to keep up with my mates on the trails. Don't let school get in the way of your education

Post #403603 6th Sep 2016 10:14am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You really don't need one, decent tyres and turn the DSC off and it will embarrass most other trucks...

Takes 5 mins to work out how to drive it... just keep constant throttle at maybe 2-3 mph faster than you would in a standard 4x4 and let the TC work

It's main problem is it's weight and no amount of locking diffs will sort that out... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #403606 6th Sep 2016 10:45am
royalgoldfish

Australia 

Sounds like a plan mate, any tips on keeping the weight down, I was gonna rip out the rear seats so i can sleep in the back and remove that corner of electronics and just run a iPad head unit (have on a couple cars) and I can even plug in that diagnostic tool and some Hema maps all in one; then look at a thicker but less tall aluminium radiator just because it sits so low. But apart from that I'm kinda out of ideas, i assume the famous air suspension takes up a fair bit of heft hahaha. Don't let school get in the way of your education

Post #403612 6th Sep 2016 10:58am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

royalgoldfish, I recall reading on here that there were safety issues about sleeping in RRs, due to CO2 buildup and no drains for it in the way there would be in a camper van etc so you might want to look int that. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #403687 6th Sep 2016 4:17pm
Haylands

The Android head units are self contained so you get rid of all that gear in the boot, still looks original and hard to steal...

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27033.html

Wouldn't bother with the rad, it's well guarded underneath, just some decent strong mesh across the bottom opening if you do lots of driving through brush....

EAS isn't that bad, I'd move the pump, mine is in the old subwoofer enclosure, nice and dry in there if the rivers a bit deep...

If you do lots of wading I'd move the BECM from under the passenger seat as well, there is space for it up behind the glovebox and it isn't too many wires to lengthen as most come from that way anyway.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #403708 6th Sep 2016 6:50pm
royalgoldfish

Australia 

cs, probably just crack a window or the hatch when i sleep and stick some flyscreen over it, i wanted to sleep in it so i don't bring so much extra equipment (saves money and time), also i suck at putting up tents.

Halyard I saw than on your build and thats quite amazing but I've rigged up an iPad with airplay a couple times and considering its a weekend warrior i would just use a combination of google and hema. In relation to stealing i would go for a dash mounted version something like this

Don't let school get in the way of your education

Post #403768 6th Sep 2016 11:22pm
Haylands

Fit's nice... bet that gets some reflections on it though.... Pete

Post #403772 6th Sep 2016 11:38pm
royalgoldfish

Australia 

The last 2 cars me and my mates did we found that out hahaha, terrible with the sun at the back but if you try a original apple screen protector its satin and that was pretty good but they're are anti-glare screen protectors so they can be used outside and apparently they work like a gem Don't let school get in the way of your education

Post #403773 6th Sep 2016 11:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1