Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > RR for CannonBall run...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
RR for CannonBall run...

Just been reading through a story about the current record. And was thinking on their approach, I.E. minimising fuel stops etc then perhaps they'd have been better off with a diesel vehicle.

It got me thinking the worst economy I've had out of my 3.6 was 19mpg and that was towing 3.5 tonnes. They averaged basically 100mph which is well within a Range Rovers reach, admittedly they hit 158mph. But the rear boot of a 322 is ~32 cu ft which is coincidentally approx 900l which is about 1/3 extra on top of the minimum fuel you'd need averaging 20mpg. That's excluding the standard tank. Admittedly its going to be about 3/4 of a tonne but no fuel stops required and with cruise control hot driver swaps are possible. Oh and you'd unlikely need to share the rear seat with a spare wheel, particularly if you went Pete style...

And that's even before you start thinking about the newer 3.0 TDV6 variants which offer better economy but similar performance.

So forum attempt at CannomBall anyone? Whistle Ed

Post #408029 6th Oct 2016 10:27pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #408047 7th Oct 2016 3:11am
cliff5.0sc

You might be on to something especially with an SVR and huge tank. To average 100mph you are going over "100 mph" often.

I'm not opposed to doing it but it would take Significant funding. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #408228 8th Oct 2016 1:28am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Could you live with the “cocks” that usually do the cannonball run these days... Some dreadful people Whistle Whistle Whistle Rolling Eyes

Post #408277 8th Oct 2016 1:00pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you mean the foreign arrogants with loads of cash and no sense Craig...theres one on here me thinks.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #408278 8th Oct 2016 1:04pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You can’t buy class Stan....... Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #408281 8th Oct 2016 1:06pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

so true Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #408282 8th Oct 2016 1:07pm
sako243

@Craig from what little research I've done the latest attempts haven't been done as part of an organised melee but more suruptitiously sneaking through to avoid the attention whilst on the run.

But yes you have to consider Richard Rawlings of Gas Monkey Garage. But how good would it be to sit back and watch his reactions when he finds out you not only did it in a 4x4 but a diesel one... Ed

Post #408365 8th Oct 2016 9:31pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

'Hot driver swaps'
Off-road, be fun practising, but on the road?

Shocked

Post #408366 8th Oct 2016 9:36pm
sako243

I've not tried but a friend may or may not have done it in an X5 on the way to Scotland from the South East...

Might want to make the drivers seat recline a bit more than standard to simplify it. Ed

Post #408367 8th Oct 2016 9:40pm
marsie

England 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue

Averaging 100mph takes some doing in any car over a distance Shocked . I recently travelled 400+ miles in 1 stint and never seemed to drop much below 90 all the way but when i got home and checked the computer i had averaged 62mph Embarassed Paul

2014 Range Rover vogue se 4.4sdv8 Loire Blue
1992 Range Rover Vogue LSE 4.2 Ardennes green

Post #409065 12th Oct 2016 8:26pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Once managed to average 91mph from Oban to Falmouth in a Renault 5 1.7l . Cant do that these days Whistle
Back on subject though my choice would be an A8 desiesel , looks like an A4 to keep plod uninterested and goes like a steam train al day and all night . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #409094 13th Oct 2016 4:14am
cliff5.0sc

You would have to do about 150 for several hours. Maybe in AZ NM or Denver to Kansas City. Some of those roads used to have no speed limits for a short period of time in the 1990s...

I don't want to burst any bubbles but high powered diesels are few and far between here. USA doesn't even get the 4.4 Diesel. Last big one I can recall was in the early 2000s a v10 toureg diesel.

And you're going to need power, real long term stable power. going up death valley at 129 degrees like we did in an 06 Range Rover, And going through the mountains you're going to see 10,000 feet elevation going 75 mph speed limit. To put it in perspective many cars just can't do that, at all or without going to redline. My friend had an A4 1.8T and it was at redline, My prius wouldn't keep up with traffic I'd have to go in the slow moving truck lanes. I never had a problem with my 4.6 but some of the guys mentioned on tall tires those offroad outfitted early discos have trouble at 75 MPH over the i70.

I've seen turbos blow. I was on a bus for the second time in my life and a turbo blew on it so I had to wait for hours just miles from Denver.

It's a big trip. A big continent, going from the pacific to the atlantic.

I've done the trip cross continent 8 times or so in three different Range Rovers, a 1999 P38a 4.6 HSE, a 2006 Range Rover 4.4, and a supercharged 5.0L 2011 L322 .

One time my fiancé drove straight from delaware to denver while towing in 24.5 hours in that same 06 Range Rover. Three different drivers.

Now that I am talking about it I'm ready to do it! Let's petition Land Rover to lend us an SVR for the expedition. You have to know shortcuts, and not even be taking legal streets to get out of manhattan in 15 minutes in my opinion. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #409180 13th Oct 2016 6:59pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Some sort of dual control conversion could be done for hot driver swaps, bit like in a plane. Rig up dual pedals and dual steering columns then one driver could just take over......

Once did a hot driver swap in a metro (many years ago) not on public roads btw.... all went well then 200yds later the wheel fell off.... well not the wheel as such but the entire front hub and driveshaft cam away at the lower ball joint. Rolling Eyes only a minor accident followed. Big Cry fortunately not my car. It can be done but it's dumbass. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #409203 13th Oct 2016 8:36pm
sako243

Funny you should mention that actually. The family company has been heavily involved in recent years with power steering modules for rally cars. The latest project for a major film company has been to completely control the vehicle from another steering wheel.

I ended up being the test driver and I was freaky being perched on the passenger seat with a steering column on a bit of kitchen table top in the foot well. Driving it around with Dad controlling the pedals and me with the steering wheel had all the feedback from the normal wheel. Flick a switch and the proper column had control again.

All with just a couple of wires between the kitchen steering wheel and the control box in the dash. Ed

Post #409213 13th Oct 2016 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1