Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > A bit of a long rant ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bebechoon

France 
A bit of a long rant ...

Being an iPhone fashionista / afficionado, SWMBO bought herself the new iPhone 7+ while in the States last week courtesy of her airline Stewardess niece. Back home, we went to sync it with her old phone, via a PC, only for iTunes to keep crashing and/or running erratically slowly. Now we haven’t used iTunes since before the last Windows 10 update, possibly even since before we upgraded to Win10; before that everything worked just fine. It seems this problem – a Win10 update / iTunes conflict is not unknown, but none of the “solutions” I read about worked. Big Cry

So, it was back to an old Windows Vista PC; installed iTunes on this, checked for updates (all OK) and connected the new iPhone. Of course iTunes didn't work - it was demanding a newer version despite it being the most up to date version available.
After much head-scratching, I discovered the latest iTunes versions are incompatible with Vista so, whilst it was saying it was up to date, it wasn’t, and the newest versions could not be installed Evil or Very Mad

Using a (very) contrived car analogy, imagine:
1. Having a Microsoft car running with Apple tyres. Then – after say 5 years and 50,000 miles of happy motoring – when you go to replace the tyres, finding out that Apple no longer do tyres for that car and no other manufacturer’s will fit ...
2. You take your other car, the latest model from Microsoft (because you are a faithful customer), in for a full service, after which you get uncontrollable steering wheel shake, even at slow speeds, from the Apple tyres which you'd been running with no problem before and which no amount of balancing will cure. And of course no other manufacturer does that tyre size …

This all brings to mind the old (but still amusing) Microsoft vs. GM argument:
At a recent computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:
1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.
6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.
7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
9. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Sounds like my old Fatty was made by Microsoft! Thumbs Up

Rant over.
 It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #415950 30th Nov 2016 11:40am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yep, I've been through the same thing with SWMBO's iPhone. By far the best way to do a swap from a previous generation of crApple phones is to use iCloud to do a backup and then restore it to the new phone. i-poo-ns is just rubbish now. They've simplified the interface to the point of it being completely unusable to anyone who wants to do more than their very limited menu options can do.

As far as my phone goes I use Android for all the technical reasons above. But, a couple of weeks back I fell over with the phone in my back pocket which smashed it to bits. Whilst the insurance were evaluating stuff I used SWMBO's old iPhone 6 for a few days. The app which migrates Androind to IOS is GREAT!!! Worked 1st time just by pointing it to a Samsung Smartswitch backup of my Android phone. Now, move forward to when my replacement Samsung phone arrived, do you think the app would do IOS to Android? Not a chance matey, you're locked to crApple now. Fortunately I do back my phone up properly at least once a week so I restored the new phone from the recent backup. All peaceful again.

And that's the thing, Smartswitch will do a backup every time the phone is connected to the PC. I just plug it in every night as this charges it as well. I also noticed that the latest update will now restore from an iTunes backup as well.

There are lots of reasons why Android has 73% of smartphone sales versus 21% for crApple Thumbs Up

Post #415952 30th Nov 2016 12:09pm
builder1966

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

changed all my mobiles from I phones to android so much easier apple make data transfers to time consuming android all the way now but still have I macs for office as they look so much nicer

Post #415954 30th Nov 2016 12:14pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

Funny! Last night I was talking to my landlady and she said that her sister has just got a new iPhone7 and since she has had it the screen randomly goes from green to white!!

Also, I used to watch SkyGo on my PC (Win7 Home Premium), had no issues until Microsoft updated Silverlight. Now Sky does not work on the PC because it is not compatible with the latest version of Silverlight, you can install an older version of Silverlight but then when you start up SkyGo it recognises that Silveright is not the latest and prompts to install the latest Version, which is not compatible...

So I use my iPad Mini 4 now!

Post #415958 30th Nov 2016 12:39pm
Mistercorn

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

I don't have any kind of 'sync' between my phone and my PC (why would I?) If I want to put tunes on my phone I drag and drop them on to the SD card and play them.

MC

Post #415959 30th Nov 2016 12:39pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

never had an issue backing up an iPhone and reinstalling a new one from back up. But that is because I don't use a PC. Whistle Whistle and if I did I'm pretty sure it would crash, at the first opportunity. Rolling Eyes

Not trying to start another PC vs MAC debate, but there is probably a reason that iPhones don't cause macs to crash, and have a dicky fit every time they are plugged into each other. And as for backup whenthe phone is plugged in to charge it automatically backs up via wifi to the IMac in the study. Which is Nice 👍 There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #416048 30th Nov 2016 8:39pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I have a Blackberry and never have a problem Thumbs Up

Post #416052 30th Nov 2016 8:58pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I use an old nokia. It makes calls and sends texts. What else is a phone for?

Post #416063 30th Nov 2016 10:00pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

BBchoon, Love the GM arguments story Thumbs Up haven't seen it before.

Post #416190 1st Dec 2016 6:00pm
bebechoon

France 

^^^^ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #416210 1st Dec 2016 7:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1