Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Metallic paint - different shades for one paint code?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRAustria

Austria 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey
Metallic paint - different shades for one paint code?

I recently painted the upper tailgate of my 04 L322 since the paint was flaking (stupid rubber weatherstrip) and had some minor rust issues on the bottom. Ordered some LRC659 spray paint (Bonatti Grey) and color looked fine but the problem with metallic paint is that you can only judge it once it has been clear coated. Low and behold after everything was clear coated you could clearly see that the grey on the tailgate was a different shade than the rest of the car.
Now the question is are there variations of the various LR metallic paints? These guys say yes: https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post169142.html

Quote:
apparantly

there is the normal code

LRC 659

then the 2 varations

LRC 659 (g)
LRC 659 (y)

i think the y and g stand for yellow and green!

or did my Bonatti grey just fade over the last 17 years? Or did the paint mixing guys mess up?

See here for a comparison (clear coat needs sanding and buffing and yes, a paint gun would produce a better finish than the spray cans I used Wink ):

Click image to enlarge

Post #589947 2nd Apr 2021 8:52am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I got told yes by a body shop when I had my Epsom green TD6. They had to do my tailgate twice. First time it seemed to have less green and a hint of gold.

In fact, thinking on, the first body shop blended it in down the sides too... the wrong shade. Took it to another shop and they said it was wrong shade straight away.

Got there in the end.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #589952 2nd Apr 2021 9:32am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

My Baltic blue upper tailgate was replaced by the supplying MD under the corrosion warranty, even they didn’t manage a very good paint match. They fobbed me off when I complained, saying it will fade slightly due to sunlight but 5 years later it is still a bit darker than the rest of the car, but better than being rusty.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #589960 2nd Apr 2021 10:17am
Jases4x4

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Santorini Black

I had my 4 doors painted Santorino Black and in the shade or normal light it looks the same as the rest of the car but as soon as sun comes out the 4 doors have more red in them which is strange to say its black, The garage said to me they mix it the same spec as the machine tells them and theres nothing they could do to change it, Which now sounds like bull if you’re saying there are different shades you can get. All i know is i hate looking at the car on a sunny day now because it stands out like a sore thumb to me your acerage person doesn’t spot it until i point it out to them but i can see it all time so i need to get them done again but with bumpers aswell next time i think.

Post #589967 2nd Apr 2021 11:09am
Ansi

Switzerland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Adriatic Blue

The color faded after 17 years so did obviously the eyesight of your painter. Rolling with laughter
One cannot pour the paint out of the can in to the spray gun without matching it to the existing shade of the car, that’s what make us to professionals! Thumbs Up
Mix the color according to the paint code and then mix it according to the car. Especially silver colors are very delicate. Every day I see cars on the road where I can tell which part of the body was re-painted. Whistle
If you have to paint your driver door you also have to partially paint the backdoor and the front fender.
But the Color of your tailgate looks ridiculous compare to the rest. Shame on the painter! If it would be my car I wouldn't pay a dime, (or is it called a pence in UK?) for this job.

Post #590011 2nd Apr 2021 5:27pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

It needs to be blown on but I do feel that’s so far out it would still stand out Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #590185 4th Apr 2021 8:03am
ur20v

A Trap 

Yes, the paint code gives the basic colour, Paint shops will either scan the paint on your car or refer to shade swatches to get the shade you need. It isn’t fading with metallic paint it’s differences between batches and brands of paint. Ordering paint off line you will be very luck to get a good match.

Blending into the next panels is another option to get a good match.

Post #590200 4th Apr 2021 11:13am
RRAustria

Austria 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Thanks for the replies so far! Did some more digging and it seems that it is indeed true that LRC659 has 3 variations. The paint supplied by Mipa is the standard color, Standox has 3 formulas (standard, lighter, standard with finer particles) but some paint suppliers also have color variations (the color variations are indeed between batches/model years/assembly plants).

Did the painting myself so I'm the one to complain to Laughing I primarily did it to stop the corrosion as the old paint flaked off and traces of rust already appeared. This was a quick and dirty DIY job and the primary goal was achieved. Do I know that it doesn't look right? Yes but I bought some time to get the correct shade (didn't know about the variations before painting) and once this achieved I want to repaint the tailgate in the correct shade with a paint gun (mind you, I used a spray can).

Post #590413 6th Apr 2021 9:43am
oggy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

i have been spraying cars most of my life sad as it is . the best way is to find a panel that is true colour has not been sprayed and to get a paint mixing firm to scan it with a peace of kit that takes 3 readings this should give you a true match if for any reason it is a long way out like yours at least you can put the blame on the firm that mixed it . the thing is even when you have the right colour match with the scanner some one has to mix it buy hand so if you got a paint mixer that has had a heavy night on the bear and has dts shakes that morning you still could be in trouble . i had a freelander 2 in last year grey done all the side and it was a different shade it is not gust the paint that you lost but the time to get it all ready again they matched it boss came out looked and payed my time to do it again and all paint cost was down to him . on some ford colours like blue you have to put a white base on be for the top coat . kia use a white base under there black cars so when you have stone chips it shows up white sad old man they call it progress any way that is a nuff of me ranting on must be getting old new vehicle purchase
2007 supercharged 4.2 java black .sand leather vogue se trim
previous cars .
range rover classic 200 tdi
discovery 1 200 tdi
freelander 2 2008 hse
discovery 1 300 tdi
p38 4.0 ltr man r380 ex royal support vehicle on v5c
discovery td5 man off roader

Last edited by oggy on 6th Apr 2021 11:34am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #590424 6th Apr 2021 11:07am
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I also seem to find that depending on the way you spray the metal flakes can lay differently giving the effect of a different colour too Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #590425 6th Apr 2021 11:33am
Landmark

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Paint

Looks like original car is Stornoway grey

Post #592095 22nd Apr 2021 9:28am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Takes me back to my first job out of school, working for a local Brown Brothers, good lord that was a baptism by fire. Straight into the mixing room, erm should I not have a mask, aye you can use mine, the guy smoked like a trooper, man that thing stunk.. so i took my chances Rolling with laughter

Always remember there were around 7 variants of ford diamond white, used to get guys coming in with the petrol flap, and you are standing outside with a swatch book trying to decide which one is closest.... always seemed odd putting black into a white mix..

Post #592099 22nd Apr 2021 10:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1