Home > Technical (L322) > 2012 S/C NS "Angel Eye" not illuminating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alx

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Nara Bronze
2012 S/C NS "Angel Eye" not illuminating

Guys,

Our RR has failed a MOT on NS "position light" not illuminating. The pair of LED halo parking lights (factory not aftermarket) around high and low beams is not up on one side. It went off a while ago and I left it like that not realising this would constitute an MOT failure but it did.

I cannot find anything on the subject but does anyone know if it's a bulb, a circuit or the whole light assembly I'm looking at replacing here? I'd like to repair it if possible of course.

Any input welcome.

Post #513601 29th Apr 2019 8:37pm
alx

Ok, so I took the headlight out today and inspected it through the back caps for possible hints of why the LED rings wouldn't work. A quick test with a probe revealed that the headlight plug does indeed supply the current to the parking lights so it must be the headlight assembly that has failed to work. Obviously, there's so much stuff inside them it is not possible to have a thorough inspection on the guts without taking the whole headlight apart. Which I believe is only possible by heating around the plexi glass and cutting the glue used to bond it all together. So of course I didn't do that.

However, I was able to see a tiny white connector that sits on top of the bigger of the two LED rings (around 5-6 o'clock if you look from the back though one of the holes). The little connector had 5 smaller gauge wires coming out of it (all black). By visually tracing those black wires I was able to see that they turn into 5 heavier gauge wires, coloured black, blue, grey, red and brown. This also corresponded to the same colour coded wires that go into side indicator (a bunch of LED lights there too). So it appears that LED lights in those headlights all have the same 5 colours. Great.

The wires (now all colour coded) go into a control module which sits at the back of the headlight (there's also a couple of similar ones on the bottoms but they do not control the halo lights). I swapped out the modules with the working headlight and voila, the halos all worked fine again. The p/n for the module is 1 307 329 241. Land Rover sells them at £300 something +VAT but there's a few on eBay ranging from £25 to £85 both new and pre-owned. I've ordered one that was taken off a new headlight so will hopefully get it tomorrow.

Think I was lucky with this one. Could have been the whole headlight but it's only an hour or so messing with taking the lights off and £50 for the replacement ballast.

Happy motoring and I hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Post #513854 1st May 2019 2:25pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the 2012 didnt have factory fitted halo rings in the headlights....it does have 'fairy' lights as standard though...

Post #513856 1st May 2019 2:50pm
alx

Is that’s what they are called? I’ve no idea. Either way mine are unmodified, factory lights.

Post #513861 1st May 2019 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1