Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > FBH - a Range Rover story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Chaps

Just by way of an update - the replacement pump I ordered arrived from Germany over the weekend while I was away. Just opened it and it has no wiring loom attached, merely a multiplug connection point Embarassed

I am currently trying to source a loom for it or failing that a multiplug. I can of course cut the loom off my old pump (they're internally jointed ont he earlier pump) but that doesn't solve the plug connection.

Watch this space.

Ta 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #425762 31st Jan 2017 3:51pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Apologies for the slow update. Dropped phone incident kinda messed up the pictorials so apologies at the quality of what follows!

So I had to do a fair degree of digging to find what was the correct loom to fit the circulation pump. There are a few variants. The problem is that webasto seem to use both an item number and a part number......
Anyway, the one I used was 1320273a or 9017684c. Paid about a tenner plus p and p from PB autoelectrics on ebay, I got a gasket set from them too. Put FBH back together with new gaskets, including a new fuel piper ubber bung - a touch of vaseline helps. Careful as that fuel pipe is fragile. Note the loom positions:-

Gratuituous shot of the pump part number (aka a u4847)

Circ pump reclamped - I used a smidgen of vaseline just to make the hose connections a doddle to slip on

I then set about re-routing the obviously incorrect pump loom (idiot! you can see how I had it wrong in the shot showing the jubilee clip)

Last think was to put the upper bracket on. Note that one of the hose jubilee clips only goes in one place - I ended up loosening it, then getting it and the bracket right before tightening the bracket then the clip.

Finally, put the air filter back on with a new cable tie to hold it to the bracket I initially earmarked as the loom holder!!!

Nervous times now. Will it work? Have I just wasted loads of time and money??

Decided to do this part wheel off. So much easier to get the arch liner out (and far easier to put it back). So up on a stand, door open to keep suspension locked, off we go.

Rebuilt it onto the car - was quick enough to only lose a few cupfuls of coolant this time. New fuel pipe clip on the rubber part, used a 10mm one (not a jubilee clip). Then roughly into place before fitting the exhaust/lower bracket.

At this point I decided to fire up the laptop and test the fbh function using the test loom and fancy WTT software. Could I hell get the software to connect to the FBH. Not for love nor money. After half an hour of cursing, I gave up and decided "its all got to go back together" so that's basically what I did.

Arch liner back in with the usual chagrin for these sort of b*llache tasks, wheel on, down she comes, torqued up the wheel nuts. That's it.

Checked OTG, it's nine degreees. Damn it. No chance to check function. Checked IID tool for faults - one there for HVAC saying no communication from park heater - evidently historical from whilst the FBH had been disconnected. Checked coolant level, adjusted, took out for a quick blast as a leak check, and that's that.

Had a couple of beers after that. Actually, more than a couple.
Got up Sunday. With a hangover. 8 degrees. Typical.

So yesterday morning I was outside in my dressing gown at half six. It was minus 1. Clicked the remote for the FBH (remember I haven't yet had it working with the remote). I hear the fan whizz up, and a clicking at the rear wheel. I bend down. Realise that makes certain things very cold indeed Censored Move to the front of the car, I can hear something that isn't just the aux fbh fan. Clicking noise gets louder and faster. As does my heart. I struggle with the emotion of it all. Could I be in the good books for a change with Mrs JB? Or am i to be let down cruelly again? Decided to go in and make the (her) coffee - always wise to have a backup in these situations.

I pop outside before taking her up the beautifully made coffee. "what the hell were you doing outside at this stupid hour in your dressing gown????". Just preparing a gift for my darling was my response, how much do you love me?

As I drove to work a bit later, I get a text.

"Love you more than usual right now"

Job done. It works. Well. Cost? about £130/150 or so in bits and some coolant, plus about £30 for the test loom. And a lot lot lot of time googling. Very happy now mind you, very happy indeed. I don't like things that don't work. I have no idea why the WTT software didn't want to talk to the FBH, it was a bit twisty the first session and I couldn't work outhow I resolved it. But no matter. It works Thumbs Up 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #426719 7th Feb 2017 2:58pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Well done. Thumbs Up Nice write up. All finished just in time for the Spring. Very Happy Very Happy John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #426727 7th Feb 2017 5:12pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Thanks John

Minus 1 tomorrow so further love will be in the air Laughing 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #426739 7th Feb 2017 7:18pm
Joe90

England 

Good work and good write up JB Thumbs Up

Any chance you could link to suppliers for the various parts you needed, and FBH disassembly images?

@ stan

Is this on the wiki yet ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #426783 7th Feb 2017 9:28pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Hi Joe

Sadly the disassembly/reassembly pics are lost in the phone drop incident.
Pump was ebay - this is the current link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301716391661?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
Loom was ebay - current link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322335530998?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
Gasket kit from same supplier as loom (PB Autoelectrical), again ebay:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321905113083?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Theres a vid here that pictorially you can see how to dismantle the unit (far easier to take the pump off mind you):-
 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #426791 7th Feb 2017 9:56pm
Joe90

England 

Top man Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #426815 8th Feb 2017 12:00am
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Well done JB, and thanks for taking the time to do a write up.
Great forum, great people. Thumbs Up

Post #426829 8th Feb 2017 8:37am
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

Well done John - succes at last! I am surmising then, that the pump being u/s was stopping the FBH from doing anything else? Can you recall if you could hear your fuel pump running when it wasn't working?

Too damm cold to crawl under mine at the moment but should really gather up motivation!!
Cheers,

MM 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #427176 10th Feb 2017 3:08pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

The circulation pump not working would i believe prevent the fbh from firing (imagine it would proper boil the static water!).
No fuel pump click when it wasn't working although on the odd occasion the WTT software connected, I could self test the fuel pump so knew how it sounded.
First attempt at firing it up post-repair I could hear click click getting faster and thought waahey! 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #427316 11th Feb 2017 4:36pm
Mightymarcos

United Kingdom 

The water pump on my FBH has made a droning noise for nearly 2 years now. Is this a sign of impending failure or should I not worry? Taking a rest from Land Rovers for a bit.......

Post #430973 12th Mar 2017 9:13pm
EU 29

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Really helpful info JB, thanks so much for taking the time to write this post. My 2007 VSE TDV8 FBH always worked on warmup mode with the engine running in the cold but never ever worked in my 3+ years of ownership for more than a minute when triggered with the remote.

However, I usually now keep fuse 59 removed at all times in any event (since last winter) as a massive current draw will completely deaden the battery within less than 2 hours (including the alarm and central locking). It clearly has something to do with the FBH but I have no real idea what... Perhaps a big chunk of carbon shorting the glow plug?

As an August project I have managed to get the Webasto Thermo Test software connected using a VAG OBD dongle (c.£3 off eb) and a set of short croc clip test leads (c.£2 off eb). I clipped pin 4 of the OBD dongle to the side of the lighter socket, pin 16 to the power feed of the passenger footwell light (seemed easy to access by poking a pin into it and works it with the door open) and pin 7 to the white with red wire going into the rain sensor (the plastic behind the mirror simply unclips). This gives access to the k-line (a vestigial BMW data bus). Selected Thermo top C/Z BMW version and it worked to give error messages and to test components. The ability to actually start the heater was however greyed out, pehaps because it was getting confusing messages on the bus from other no-longer BMW things.

I was able to run the fuel pump, then the glow plug followed by the fan. Bangs like a bird scarer (with a big puff of smoke!) so they all work! I guess once or twice (but no more) won’t do any harm - the FBH as a whole seems to be kaput anyway! The water pump seems to have had it, no matter how many times I tried. The Thermo Test error message is “circulating pump interruption”. I do remember the water used to gurgle a bit in the expansion tank when started, but even that seems to have stopped when I dare to try inserting fuse 59 (with a spare battery to hand).

Maybe this will give soemone, somewhere some clues?

Post #449455 29th Aug 2017 5:06pm
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, I know nothing about modern vehicles and this article is beyond me but maybe one day.
I know it’s a pump, as you have said so, but what is its purpose
Dose it pump fuel or coolant
I know it burns fuel, I know it has coolant
What is FBH
CCF
WTT
thanks

Post #449525 30th Aug 2017 3:20pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

EU29 - it won't ever run (other than the quick tests you did) if the circulating pump is u/s.
Whack a pump on it? 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #449539 30th Aug 2017 5:05pm
EU 29

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Thanks JB - I will keep a look out for one.

Knares - the circulation pump I am referring to is in respect of coolant. The FBH is the fuel burning heater, the CCF is the car configuration file (not applicable to my post). WTT is either the Webasto Thermo Top (a model of fuel buring heater used by various car manufacturers) or the Webasto Thermo Test software that connects to it from a PC.

Hope that helps!

Post #449644 31st Aug 2017 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>