Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Steering Angle ID
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue
Steering Angle ID

I thought I was being clever today, removing the tamper dot from my dash, and helping the Instrument Cluster talk to my new MID unit... Until I realised i'd messed something else up.

Every time I get out the car and lock it now, when I get back in and start the engine I get lots of errors, Air suspension, TC and ABS! I plugged in my iCarSoft (Not the best tool ever invented) and I get the error message "Wrong steering angle sensor ID". If I reset that fault, and do a left to right calibration everything is OK until the next time.

I found this on RAVE regarding the subject:

Quote:
The Steering angle sensor is mounted at the bottom of the steering spindle at the base of the upper steering column
assembly. The sensor is equipped with a processor and is directly linked to the CAN bus to communicate with the ABS ECU. The sensor utilizes two potentiometers to determine the steering angle and the rate of steering. These are the raw
signals the steering angle microprocessor utilizes to create the steering angle signal for broadcast on the CAN bus.

The sensor requires calibration after repairs to the steering or suspension system. Once the calibration is completed
the sensor now also sends an identification number over the CAN bus to the ABS ECU.

The ID provides confirmation
in the ABS ECU that the steering angle sensor is properly calibrated. If the ID differs due to component replacement it will be necessary to enter the diagnostic system of the ABS system
to initiate the steering angle sensor calibration. DSC will not be available on the vehicle until the steering angle sensor
is calibrated. Once complete a new ID number is generated and the DSC ECU and Steering angle sensor are properly
mated. The DSC logic checks the plausibility of the steering angle sensor against the other DSC inputs (front wheel speeds,
rotation and DSC sensor). If battery voltage is interrupted, the current steering wheel rotation is recalculated by the
ABS ECU evaluating the wheel speeds.

Replacement steering angle sensors must be coded when installed in the vehicle prior to the calibration procedure in
order to add the VIN to the angle sensor. Re-calibration is carried out by turning the steering lock to lock with the
engine running while stationary.

Now all I did was change the VIN thats stored in the IKE (Instrument cluster) so I guess thats somehow confusing things. As it says if the ID differs due to component replacement you need to initiate calibration... How would I do that?

I'm slowly losing it and going grey with this car! When will I learn to leave it alone? Rolling with laughter

On another note, I know have a working MID unit, no tamper dot, a chirp on lock and unlock and auto locking at 20kmp/h! 

Post #425817 31st Jan 2017 11:50pm
Stacker

Quick update to the problem, have managed to solve it. Updating as when I've been researching across the web I find on some forums people never post how they fixed the problem so I was none the wiser!

The problem was a VIN mismatch between the SAS (Steering angle sensor) and IKE (Instrument cluster). They were previously matching, but as my IKE was obviously out of another vehicle, the VIN stored was different to my VIN and not what was stored in the LCM!

When I changed the VIN in the IKE, the tamper dot disappeared to show a match, but this then meant that the SAS VIN didn't match the one in the IKE. I changed the VIN in the SAS to my VIN, did a steering wheel left to right reset and everything is perfect again.

Easier fix than the time I bricked the BeCM in my Jaguar Rolling with laughter 

Post #425926 1st Feb 2017 11:05pm
steadyaway

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Did you use the icar soft to enable the lock/unlock chirp and speed locking? If so where is it and how did you do it please?
Fanks....

Post #425948 2nd Feb 2017 8:38am
Stacker

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I didn't!

I used some Chinese software called BMW Scanner 1.4, was a bit patchy I was a bit scared it might break something! Your best bet would be an iid tool! 

Post #425950 2nd Feb 2017 8:49am
steadyaway

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Shame but thanks for the reply.

Post #426002 2nd Feb 2017 4:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1