Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Have you been out in the snow in your FFRR??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
abuben

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Winter tyres make a huge difference to snow/ice handling & compulsory here between November and April. Got a chance to go up to Gstaad yesterday on a Landrover sponsored snow/offroad driving day. Good fun and got a chance to really try out the whole LR line up at the frozen Saanen airstrip with Winter/Offroad instructors.
I'm in no doubt now the electronics do make a huge difference, esp. DSC and the Snow/Ice setting on all the range (except Defender!!). What surprised me though, is that tyre manufacturer variance is also really noticiable in the same vehicle. Michelin rules on the ice.....

Post #2793 4th Feb 2009 2:33pm
Soupdragon

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

I had to drive to South Devon from Buckingham and back on Thursday to view a collection and was very glad to be in a FFRR. Much good common sense written here, 2 1/2 tons of car carries a lot more momentum into a corner, especially sideways inertia, than a saloon with its lighter weight and lower C of G and Dan the man hit the mail on the head; smooth input.

The M4 and M5 were fairly bad but most of the danger came from inept drivers rather than the conditions. I had the gearbox in manual most of the day and felt happy and secure.

The hightlight of the journey was being overtaken on a back road between Tiverton and Crediton in quite icy conditions by one of those utterley absurd BMW X6s. About 4 miles later the X6 driver had lost it and stuffed the car into, of all things, a pile of grit in a layby!! He was walking about on his mobile and obviously okay so I tooted the horn and waved in a helpful way as I passed him! Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Post #2850 7th Feb 2009 5:30pm
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Soupdragon wrote:
... He was walking about on his mobile and obviously okay so I tooted the horn and waved in a helpful way as I passed him!
Should have stopped and "PRETEND" to offer him help Laughing

Post #2858 7th Feb 2009 9:47pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I was in the ffrr and a lady was struggling to get her car to grip and wound down her window to communicate with me as i drove alongside. She said" I am struggling to to my car to go and then to stop again, what should i do?" I looked at her in her VW Golf and answered " Buy a Range Rover" and drove off Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

In reality i said leave plenty of space between you and other cars, dont over rev, choose the right gear etc but the little devil in my head just wished i had said the above. I wished i had let the devil say his bit but i didnt want to send out the wrong image of ffrr drivers Rolling with laughter

Post #2860 7th Feb 2009 10:03pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

could have said move too somewhere a bit warmer i.e i hear australia is a good bet at the mo. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #2867 8th Feb 2009 5:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12