Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Wish I'd got one years ago!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
krm

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Wish I'd got one years ago!

Always quite fancied a FFRR but didn't really think they were worth the money.

I've driven mostly beemers for years - most recently a 535d and an X5sd and I really love the twin turbo engines, especially in the 5.

And I had a love hate relationship with a Maserati 4.2 coupe a couple of years back but that's another story!

I keep an eye on the market and various forums especially this one but whenever i decide on a budget and spec and do the research I can never quite bring myself to actually go through with it. And then I usually get a serious case of 'analysis paralysis' over whether to buy nearly new or a few years old and / or whether to wait for the next model year change or the brand new design in 2013 etc.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I realised the X5 would soon need a new set of boots, an MOT and an extended warranty etc. And coupled with boredom with the thought of another one I did my usual 48 hrs of internet stuff and found a few FFRR's that met my criteria.

I had decided if I was going to get one it was now or never and my budget was 25 - 30k to change. I wanted a 2010 model year Vogue or Vogue SE and whilst the attractions of the 4.4 were tempting given that I like the 0-60 poke of the twin turbo X5 I wasn't prepared to wait for used ones to come down from c65 - 70k to nearer c55 - 60k. That would just be a recipe for another failure to follow through!

So I found a July 09 Silver Vogue SE at Stratstone Cheltenham and without much hope enquired about a part ex on the X5. Pleasntly surprised at the figure I then realised I hadn't actually driven one yet! So a quick phone call to my local dealer lead to a test drive in a similar used model and it took precisely 2 minutes to know that had I bothered to have a test drive sooner I could have saved myself a huge amount of time and 'shall I / shan't I' agonising!

In short these things are stunning! Couldn't believe the quality leap over the X5 (a very decent car in its own right) in so many ways. I now 'get' the reviews - this is quite simply the only way to drive and the best car in the world by a country mile. Clarkson is right. And so was my wife who has always wanted a FFRR and, without any of the baggage of my typical male 'analysis', is (annoyingly!) always intuitively right - thanks babe! So from a phone call about a part ex on Friday 17th via a test drive on Sunday 19th the FFRR arrived on my drive in Yorkshire on Thursday 23rd - thanks to all those at Stratstone Cheltenham who made it happen so quickly and smoothly!

Since then we have had some rear entertainment fitted for the boys, digested the handbook and all the gadgets and put a thousand or so miles on the clock seeing friends and family over the festive period - in imperious and unmatched style and elegance. Sure, it's a a couple of seconds slower than the X5 from 0-60 on paper but on the road you hardly notice it and in every other aspect it leaves the X5 standing. That's me converted - I'm already planning a change to the 4.4 next year and then the brand new model a couple of years after that.

The lessons learned? Internet research is all very well but test drives answer a million tangible and intangible questions (especially the really important intangible ones!) in a fraction of the time. Oh, and women always know best - but then you knew that didn't you!

Converted of Yorkshire!

Post #44469 4th Jan 2011 1:01pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Glad you like it krm. I've been a a fan of RR in general for years. Have owned 2 P38 (older style) versions and couldn't wait to upgrade. Having only recently done so, I'm also glad I did.

They say you either love them or hate them. I certainly love mine..!! Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #44473 4th Jan 2011 1:41pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I persuaded a friend to buy one with the words, "once you have had one, you'll always have one". He still thanks me for putting him into one.

Post #44476 4th Jan 2011 2:22pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Emperor Mong wrote:
I persuaded a friend to buy one with the words, "once you have had one, you'll always have one". He still thanks me for putting him into one.

Agreed. Once you've had a Range Rover you'll never want anything else, whether its a 1970's classic or a 2010 shiny new one they are great cars!

Dan 

Post #44501 4th Jan 2011 5:15pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

[quote="
They say you either love them or hate them. I certainly love mine..!![/quote]

This drivel is generally spouted by the penniless dreamers or lemonade wallet brigade believe me!No one I have EVER met hates FFRRs....NO ONE Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #44510 4th Jan 2011 6:08pm
Emperor Mong

My wife does. She had a P38. Dumped her too often. She gives me a hard time about mine. Loves her (hateful tank) Landcruiser V8.

Post #44512 4th Jan 2011 6:16pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

In my trade I regularly have access to an M5, M6, X5, XKR etc but always head out with the keys of a FFRR in my hand..... Thumbs Up

Post #44518 4th Jan 2011 6:30pm
RRV

Gazellio wrote:
In my trade I regularly have access to an M5, M6, X5, XKR etc but always head out with the keys of a FFRR in my hand..... Thumbs Up

Same trade as me I presume?

ATM I have a RRS Overfinch,Bentley GT Conti,RS4,TT Quattro,R32 etc etc....NOTHING IMO compares with the FFRR(Bentley does really but too "small"!!) Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #44524 4th Jan 2011 6:52pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

RRV wrote:
[

i think gaz's signature banner gives it away... Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #44527 4th Jan 2011 6:58pm
AMD

United Kingdom 

Agreed all the way, when I leave the house, there is only one set of keys I look for....until I get my DBS that is... Wink Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #44580 4th Jan 2011 10:07pm
Emperor Mong

The DBS keys stay in the drawer if the roads are snowy...

Post #44590 4th Jan 2011 10:21pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

RRV wrote:
Gazellio wrote:

ATM I have a RRS Overfinch,Bentley GT Conti,RS4,TT Quattro,R32 etc etc....NOTHING IMO compares with the FFRR(Bentley does really but too "small"!!) Thumbs Up

As Scary pointed out I am a Prestige Car Dealer - See Avatar and Signature Thumbs Up

Post #44614 4th Jan 2011 11:43pm
RRV

Gazellio wrote:
RRV wrote:
Gazellio wrote:

ATM I have a RRS Overfinch,Bentley GT Conti,RS4,TT Quattro,R32 etc etc....NOTHING IMO compares with the FFRR(Bentley does really but too "small"!!) Thumbs Up

As Scary pointed out I am a Prestige Car Dealer - See Avatar and Signature Thumbs Up

I too am a Car Dealer,sorry I did not even notice your sig until just now!! Embarassed If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #44619 5th Jan 2011 12:41am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

Well thats cleared that up then!

Sounds like you have some nice stock to choose from there Very Happy

Have a good 2011 Thumbs Up

Post #44626 5th Jan 2011 9:19am
RRV

You too mate Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #44634 5th Jan 2011 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>