Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Dash cam what and where
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

A couple of important points, at least as far as Blackvue are concerned.

1. There's no support in the UK if you buy through Amazon or a non-official retailer.

2. If you're getting a dual front and rear setup, you need the very latest version of the Blackview as the cable between the two on the earlier one threw off a huge amount of interference, which rendered the dab & fm radio unusable.

Cables are easily hidden at least by a pro installer.

Post #437776 9th May 2017 10:39pm
Caddyshack

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Freddie The Fish wrote:
They wouldn't need GPS to figure out speed, could be very easily calculated using time and distance traveled. I guess if everybody is speeding round and killing people then a dashcam isn't for you....

We buy the dash cam to help us in the very instance of other drivers using excessive speed and causing accidents though...people are doing it every day.

I certainly do not ever plan to kill anyone and don't actually go that fast on dual carriageways etc...more or an interested flip side to benefits.

It would be interesting to hear any real world experiences. I believe someone in Yorkshire was prosecuted purely on the strength of his own recording and many bikers have been done using their own Go pro videos.?

I was sent a dash cam vid from a friend who was ranting about a car pulling out in front of him to overtake a Tractor moving slowly on the inside lane but I did explain to him that if he was looking far enough ahead he too would have seen the tractor and the bloke on the inside lane closing on it and should have also anticipated the likelihood of the driver needing to pull out to overtake the tractor...wouldn't of made an accident his fault but it did show him up for poor roadcraft.

I really want a dash cam in my car but was hoping someone would pipe up quoting XYZ law as to how our own evidence could not be used against us without our permission...seems to be the gamble you take, if you make a mistake then you could be prosecuted for it using purely your own evidence and nothing else?

Killing etc...was an extreme example to paint a picture. How about a totally non fault accident, Police confiscate your Dashcam that shows you doing 85mph 10 mins before the accident in a 70limit but totally within the limit at point of accident...would / could they send you a speeding fine?

Post #438013 11th May 2017 3:13pm
Macpaul

Unless anyone's a lawyer on here, I doubt you'll get reliable answers.

I got mine because some witless bitch reversed into me in a car park, admitted it on site but got home and said I'd hit her.

No independent witnesses so the insurer told me I had to pay 50/50, lose some NCB and have a claim on my record.

I refused and eventually it went away.

If I'd had the camera, no problem.

Others on Def2 have had good results with liability and insurers if I remember correctly.

If you're worried about it being used against you in an accident, just pull the SD card.

Post #438016 11th May 2017 3:26pm
Caddyshack

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Thanks macpaul, I think it will get one on the basis that your type of "accident" is the more likely and have opportunity (hopefully) to pull the card in the unlikely event of accident, view the vid and then submit for evidence.

I recently read the book by Reg Local on advanced driving, he is widely regarded as one of the best advanced instructors in the U.K.; he taught the teachers who instruct the highest police level training, he was the highest graded police driver in U.K. And he admits that he makes mistakes or has room to improve on every journey and exceeds the speed limits regularly...but on the interwebs it seems every driver is immaculate and would never break the law or make a mistake. It is often the ones who think they are perfect who do not admit their mistakes. It is also likely that those of us who chose to run a dash cam feel we are good drivers and the ones around us are poor drivers and therefore feel my question is silly as they would never be found at fault?

Post #438027 11th May 2017 4:43pm
peejay

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Interesting debate, watched Car Crash Britain last night made almost entirely of dash cam footage which led me to seriously think about getting one so interested to know who uses what? Also wondered if there's a model that can easily be changed from vehicle to vehicle as I don't use my FF daily but only weekends and run a van during the week, don't really want to buy 2 or more cameras so wondered if anyone had done the same by sourcing extra leads etc?

Regarding possible negatives of footage seems to me that positives outweigh the negatives of running one

Post #438101 12th May 2017 7:41am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If you think there's some iffy stuff on the roads here in the U.K., try Searching "Russia dashcam" on YouTube... Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #438105 12th May 2017 9:00am
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi I have a nextbase 512G and it's a good and Halfords actually do a good job of fitting. I've had the same one in several cars now and Halfords just charge £30.00 and fit it professionally. This also includes the wiring for it, so you could pay for fitting in two and just swap your camera over as you wish.

Post #438108 12th May 2017 9:29am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i would like to recommend the A118 which has a capacitor rather than a battery so no knackered battery's after 6 months..

stealthy and small and cheap as well..

... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #438112 12th May 2017 9:49am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

I'm in the market too, had one too many close shaves recently , if anyone can recommend a fitting service near Dundee, please advise. Thumbs Up

Post #438205 12th May 2017 7:55pm
Lukie

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

just to give my little knowledge about dash cams

from what I have read they are perfectly legal in the UK however in other countries they are highly illegal (some part of europe)

they are not legal to display a live moving image in the driver's view most dashcams have a screen auto off after 1 minute

you need to keep them (along with all other item's INCLUDING satnavs) out of the sweep area you can go into sweep area by 50mm from memory

I would recommend anyone to fit behind the rear view mirror or in the top left hand corner of your screen, it will mean some of you dirty Censored will have to wipe the area for the camera to see out Smile

Post #438215 12th May 2017 8:56pm
Freddie The Fish

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Fuji White

BlackVue hard wired and tucked away

Post #438217 12th May 2017 9:21pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Freddie The Fish wrote:
They wouldn't need GPS to figure out speed, could be very easily calculated using time and distance traveled. I guess if everybody is speeding round and killing people then a dashcam isn't for you....

In North America, telephone poles often run beside the road at a fixed spacing. It would be very easy to use the time between the poles, or other fixed objects, to calculate speed.

As for Def2.net, they have significantly less of a problem when it comes to speeding than we do! Mr. Green (Okay, here the Defenders tend to be TDIs, but they seem very happy at 90-100 km/h when in convoy.)

Post #438226 13th May 2017 12:12am
Macpaul

Yes, you're right about the lack of speeding Defenders but I remember reading several threads on Def2 about accident liability being established as a result of dashcams, which to my mind is the only point of having them.

One fella returned home after an incident, to a message from the third party's insurers confirming their liability and someone else denied something was their fault but was forced to capitulate immediately on seeing the footage.

Contrast that with my experience above.

Post #438267 13th May 2017 4:38pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Can anyone advise why Blackvue dashcams seem twice the price of other similar ones?

Is there something unique about them I've missed? 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #440035 29th May 2017 10:50pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

they don't record any better video than a comparative cheap ebay one Rob... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #440053 30th May 2017 7:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>