Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 2018 PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 12 <123 45 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Prefer the V90 Cross Country (which is essentially the same car, minus "SUV" pretensions).[/quote]
My issue is that I have a MY14 4.4 SDV8 L405. I'd like to update it. No point in buying something less than a MY17 as there'd be no uplift.

If I buy a MY17 with the new Satnav screen, it will depreciate like hell when the MY18 comes out.

I probably ought to wait a year or two into the MY18 to get a decent discount and see how the hybrid gets received.

So a RR is probably off the menu.
I could get a Velar for two years. But it isn't big enough.
I could get the latest Disco. But that asymmetric rear tailgate does my head in.

So what to fill the gap with? Ideally that is a PHEV?[/quote]

Buy yourself an SVR for a couple of years. It's a proper fun car Laughing 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #463794 8th Jan 2018 8:07pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Stuempf, the hybrid is restricted to towing 2,500 kg. The first impressions review in the (UK) Daily Telegraph newspaper on Saturday was not that inviting to me anyway. The target market is probably people who do lots of town driving and who don't tow much. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #463802 8th Jan 2018 8:28pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

And here lies the problem!!!

"One thing Land Rover’s engineers might struggle to fix on the P400e is what happens when the battery runs out. The four-cylinder engine was vocal in its propulsion, lacking the refinement and grunt of the big V6 and V8 diesels we’ve become so accustomed to in Land Rover’s flagship models; they’re simply fighting physics here. To that end, you’d best make full use of those 31 miles of electric range."

In other words, revs it nuts off!!!

I think this statement makes me confirm that a PHEV has this characteristic no matter what car it is as they have to drop the engine size to sort the weight with the batteries balance!!

I think I'll be leaving it!! I hated that part and also the massive drop in MPG when batteries run out and your miles away from a charge. all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #465005 18th Jan 2018 2:20pm
AbzRR

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Aruba
PHEV

Agreed.

Was just about to order one and did a 180 on it.

Couldn't handle the 4 pot without electric motor - remember the 300Tdi Auto from Classic days? Even with an expensive turbo and intercooler upgrade it was like a snail. I know this is petrol but...............rather used to the SDV8 get upo and go. 2016 Vogue SDV8
2009 TDV8 Westminster
2017 Tesla Model S 90D
2000 SL600
2009 SL63

Post #465511 22nd Jan 2018 11:37am
Paul J.

England 

Hmm,

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding over how a PHEV works. It doesn't use up all the battery power and then revert to ICE-only operation. In fact, when the battery shows as being empty, it will have of the order of 30% charge remaining. The ICE keeps this topped up and it is available to dip into when needed, for example under hard acceleration.

Under extreme situations you could in theory deplete the battery to the extent that you are solely reliant on the ICE, but having run a Mitsubishi PHEV for the past 3 1/2 year this has never happened, and I don't see why it would with LR products.

Remember also that when driving around in an ICE powered vehicle, you are rarely using anything approaching the full power capability. For example, a 500bhp supercharged beast may only be putting out less than 100 bhp when pootling along in a 30mph zone.

My advice to anyone considering the PHEV is to ask for a prolonged test drive, so that you can see for yourself how it performs under a range of conditions.

Thumbs Up

Post #465536 22nd Jan 2018 1:36pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I have something on my Vanquish that shows how much power I am using. It is amazing how little of the 570bhp I am using at any given time. In fact it is very difficult to get that meter to anywhere near the top.

Also, as far as PHEVs go, regenerative braking is essentially a free battery charger. So in normal driving, the battery will always be getting power ups that you can use.

I have an Outlander PHEV too (it's what the housekeeper uses). I drove it a bit when we bought it (it was going to be my wife's car but she decided she wanted to go fully electric so I bought here a Tesla). The battery/engine combination is really very impressive.

Post #465549 22nd Jan 2018 2:35pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Emperor,
Was the battery/engine combination good in the Outlander or the Tesla? From my experience of the Outlander's the interior is pretty low rent but maybe mechanically it's a positive.

Post #465555 22nd Jan 2018 2:53pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Outlander (Tesla has no internal combustion engine - pure electric).

The Outlander interior is shockingly bad in this day and age. When one compares it to what one gets in a VAG product at a similar price point, it looks very low rent. That said, it has all the toys one would expect - just Japanese interiors are a decade behind European ones.

Post #465558 22nd Jan 2018 3:09pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Of course the Tesla's electric only doh...Sorry I should have engaged brain before digit/ keyboard.

Post #465591 22nd Jan 2018 6:56pm
AbzRR

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Aruba

Learnt something here.

I'll wait and see what LR do ref a decent test of the car. 2016 Vogue SDV8
2009 TDV8 Westminster
2017 Tesla Model S 90D
2000 SL600
2009 SL63

Post #465711 23rd Jan 2018 5:49pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Yeah I was using a PHEV Outlander as 280 quid a year P11D tax seemed too good to be true, but the interior is horrific, and seats not very comfy but yeah as said all the gadgets.

I often found no battery left after 15-20 miles and it definitely suggested there was none left as I ran it often for a few weeks and no charge being where I was in a flat for a bit, but I would need to see a massive change in the way it sounds, as it was really noisy and they said in the manual, you can't jump start anything from it (or was it you can't jump start it) anyway it was restricted for jumping as a host or supplier of charge, but over all it was a cool toy for a while until I got bored of the interior.

Would agree a few days is needed to really get the feel for it. I bought the PHEV off the hoof and drove it for about 30secs as the tax thing seemed a no brainer, but if I didn't own a company I wouldn't even think about a PHEV as the funding for free charging and free parking has ran out across the uk as far as I can see.

So whats the point other than a tax break? all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #465717 23rd Jan 2018 6:35pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Paul J. wrote:
Hmm,

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding over how a PHEV works. It doesn't use up all the battery power and then revert to ICE-only operation. In fact, when the battery shows as being empty, it will have of the order of 30% charge remaining. The ICE keeps this topped up and it is available to dip into when needed, for example under hard acceleration.

Under extreme situations you could in theory deplete the battery to the extent that you are solely reliant on the ICE, but having run a Mitsubishi PHEV for the past 3 1/2 year this has never happened, and I don't see why it would with LR products.

Remember also that when driving around in an ICE powered vehicle, you are rarely using anything approaching the full power capability. For example, a 500bhp supercharged beast may only be putting out less than 100 bhp when pootling along in a 30mph zone.

My advice to anyone considering the PHEV is to ask for a prolonged test drive, so that you can see for yourself how it performs under a range of conditions.

Thumbs Up

So do you still get 156mpg when youve got no battery??? I doubt it!! all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #465718 23rd Jan 2018 6:37pm
Paul J.

England 

Rolling Eyes

Where did I say I get 156mpg?

My daily commute is about 30 miles, so in the summer I do get the maximum mpg equivalent. At other times where lights and heating drain power, it betters any diesel. On the occasions that I drive longer journeys, the mpg falls commensurately.

Post #465741 23rd Jan 2018 8:44pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Thats what they say you get from a Outlander PHEV. I never got even close!!

It wasn't a jab, what I was just illustrating tho is that mpg falls through the floor when showing no battery, and tbh I doubt there would be 30% left as a reserve, but got no factual info on that. all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #465798 24th Jan 2018 12:32am
Paul J.

England 

The 30% comes from what the battery reports to the charger when using roadside chargers such as Ecotricity units, whilst showing 0% on the dash display.

BTW I agree with all the comments on the interior, it is nasty and the multimedia interface is poor (even by LR standards).

Post #465903 24th Jan 2018 8:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 12 <123 45 ... 101112>