Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > Will I regret it?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hobo729

Cyprus 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue
Will I regret it?

Hi All,
I am positively wanting to buy a new 2018 4.4 AB later this year. My existing 2013 4.4 AB has been pure pleasure to own and drive during the past 5 years - 87K miles and nothing has gone wrong other than a seat belt tension sensor that played up until replaced. Everything about the car pleases me but I fancy the newer technology - especially the latest headlights and instrumentation - and maybe a different colour scheme.

My dilemma is quite simple - will I move from a presently solidly dependable machine to one full of irritating/annoying electro/mechanical niggling faults as have so many of my fellow L405 owners have with their 2016/2017 cars. The list of complaints concerning reliability seems endless and my chums just can't believe I haven't suffered the same issues - maybe hard to believe but my car is simply the most reliable car I have ever owned and I have had some horrors in the past!

So, do I have a very unfortunate selection of friends or have I experienced divine intervention? Will I regret parting with my car and a shed load of dosh for a 2018 replacement?

Post #479483 27th May 2018 3:51pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It’s a tough one - mine has also been very good - and whilst tempted, think I will be running it a little while longer yet, there’s been nothing compelling for me to update to so far.

Post #479484 27th May 2018 3:58pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

My 2017 MY has been very good to me so far (and you can see, from below, that it gets pretty well used) so the newer ones aren’t bad at all. With all of the connectivity possibilities, I believe that many people have ever higher expectations of the ICT functions on these cars and the harder that you look into it, the easier it must be to find fault.

Personally, once I’ve got the phone working and an occasional bit of radio/CD/DVD I’m happy, so I’m easily pleased Thumbs Up It may be why I’m happy and some others aren’t. But, nothing else has fallen off or broken either Very Happy

Are there sufficient reasons to upgrade to a newer version? There are a few nicities with the ‘17, but I can see more negatives with the ‘18 than positives, so I can see a compelling reason to swap if yours is doing well...

Last edited by Red Merle on 28th May 2018 10:45am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #479488 27th May 2018 6:09pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

My 2015MY SDV8 AB was absolutely perfect for 3 years after ‘snagging’ for a couple of months after delivery. This was mainly cosmetic bits like seat covers etc which weren’t fitted properly.

I’d say go for it but my only concern would be the diesel part...I’m going for petrol this time because IMO there’s too much bad press about diesel.

Post #479498 28th May 2018 4:40am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I've had 13 LR cars over the years and never had a problem apart from a head gasket on a P38 (really?)

My new VSE is now 7 weeks old and hasn't missed a beat,apart from no inControl apps with a Pixel 2 phone, but not fussed about that. Also the rear camera didn't come on, on one occasion.The driving experience at night is mind boggling with the pixel lights spreading out across the country lanes on full beam. I wondered what the bloody hell was going on at first Wink

I think these latest tech cars are like phones and PC's....they forget what they are doing at times and need resetting, i.e they work again after stopping and starting.

My advice is to go for it with a 2018 car, it is a beautiful car, especially in BRG!!!!....you only live once!!

Post #479518 28th May 2018 10:34am
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

I suspect that there are many many more reliable new cars than gremlins. There's not much of a story for forumites in posting "another reliable day/week/month in my car". So what we constantly read are the reports of those with less luck. The JD power/Which? style surveys have put LandRover at or near the bottom of their reliability leagues for years. That often means that eg as many as 10% of owners have had an issue in the last year - so obviously 90% haven't. Not much comfort if you're the unlucky one with a Friday car (which my 2002 was), but IMHO you're much more likely to get a good one than bad.

A glutton for punishment you may think, I'm also a fanboy for Lotus cars and have owned several over nearly 30 years. I can't tell you the number of times people have humorously quoted the old acronym at me while shaking their head. But turn it around and ask how many they've owned and what trouble did they have....and there's nearly always a slightly embarrassed silence. Little or no first hand experience, just a lot of pub talk about a friend of a friend. Treated right Lotus are as reliable as anything else but a reputation is tough to throw off...as LandRover are starting to find out. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #479525 28th May 2018 10:53am
stillrunning

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

from a guy who has suffered two cars with problems i would still say go for it.

Even though i haven't drove my car properly for 7 weeks, i still cant wait to get back in it.
When these cars are right there is nothing better out there, this is the biggest reason i am persevering with my current car.
Heart and head comes to mind with me and cars, always has and always will.

Post #479575 29th May 2018 7:27am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Quite agree SR!! I'm the same, it would take a lot to get me out of a LR car.

Post #479578 29th May 2018 8:36am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 1