Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Battery Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Closerthanmost

England 
Battery Woes

Had a flat battery a few weeks ago, which I think was caused by me sodding about with the headlights (I had an alignment problem) with the engine off after a very short journey. Luckily the next door neighbours mechanic son in law happened to be visiting in his works van and he got me going and tested the alternator etc and said I'd be fine.

Over the weekend I did a few short trips (5 miles or so) but with lots of stopping and starting the engine (also it was bloody cold so I had the heating on full blast + heated seat/steering wheel)

Went out to visit the in-laws yesterday and FF wouldn't start. Charged it for an hour and nothing. SWMBO was less than happy as she had to drive. I was less than happy because I had to be a passenger in an MX5 with a box on my lap for the 2 hour journey (it wouldn't fit in the boot). I was also not allowed to complain because it was apparently my fault that we were in this mess.

A couple of things put my fortunes into perspective....saw a three wheeled FFRR on the side of the road which was causing a tailback on the A15 in Peterborough, and then later on a load of cars parked up and a bloke being given CPR. Hopefully he was OK - very close to a hospital and an air ambulance was coming into land.

We also saw a complete Censored of a FFRR driver overtaking us at full pelt along a single carriageway with traffic going both ways. I could only agree when SWMBO said "some people think they're special" - which as we know is true of FFRR drivers, but perhaps not as special as this Censored who thought he was entitled to a 3rd lane. I doubt very much if the driver is on here, but if you are, you're a Censored

Anyway, I digress.

Had the FF on charge all day today and still wouldn't start so called out the nice man from the AA who got me going and tested the battery. Car is charging, but battery isn't taking much onboard - measured at 379 amp rather than the rated 850.

They will be fitting a new one tomorrow under my AA Parts warranty, so no major outlay, just a £35 excess.

Having read the battery change process in the wiki, do I assume that AA man will know what to do ? I'm planning to get car shut down etc before he gets here, but does the car have to be told that it has a new battery etc and will he be able to do that ?

Post #459590 4th Dec 2017 8:28pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

If you have an IID tool, it's has the capability to tell the car the battery is a new one. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #459595 4th Dec 2017 8:58pm
Closerthanmost

England 

No iid tool here I'm afraid. Might have to take it to my local indie once it's done I suppose Very Happy

Post #459599 4th Dec 2017 9:29pm
steveball

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

I have a copy of an old version of the software used by main dealers. Using that on my mate’s 2011 TDV8 4,4, there is an option to reset on installation of a new battery. Using the same software on my TDV8 3,6 that menu option is missing. I concluded that the step to indicate that a.new battery is fitted is not needed on my car.

If you have a 3.6 I wouldn’t worry. I think the reset is required only for the very latest incarnation of L322s. Current: 2010 Range Rover L322
Vogue SE, TDV8 3.6, Bournville
-----------------------------------
Now gone: 2002 Range Rover L322
Vogue, TD6, Giverney Green

Post #459631 5th Dec 2017 12:08am
Closerthanmost

England 

Ah that's good to know. Thanks Steve.

Post #459632 5th Dec 2017 12:12am
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Reset required if your battery is AGM

Post #459639 5th Dec 2017 7:13am
Closerthanmost

England 

The man in the yellow van came today and he fitted the new AGM battery. We had a bit of a discussion about it and he double checked what needed doing on his system and assured me that on my model no software changes were required,

I did look up on here how to set the bonnet to service height but he had got the same info as me by the time I got back outside.

All is well. For now.

Post #459671 5th Dec 2017 1:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1