Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Tailgate out of alignment, dealer problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Aspman

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Balmoral Blue

I'll take a look at that if it's likely to be a regular issue.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #587909 18th Mar 2021 4:42pm
Ukandrewf

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Weather strip above back tailgate is warped.

dealer said would replace FOC

now say the rear tailgate is out of alignment - the problem will return if not aligned. Invoice for £1,300 of which they want me to pay £216. does £1,300 invoice seem reasonable for just aligning?

but in Sept 2019 I took the car in when was within 3 yr manufacturer warranty saying the tailgate was out of alignment (thanks to FUllFatRR for the tip to look out for the issue) - they said was within tolerances.

given this problem, it suggests it wasn't within tolerances?

pics of the trim problem and the alignment as it was in 2019

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Any ideas?

Andrew

p.s. impressed by second-hand RR prices. I don't think I've lost money on this car bought second hand in 2019. Maybe £1,000 or so over two years. Seems to be a shortage.

p.p.s. They've given me a 2020 RR Vogue to drive (7,000 on clock) while my car is in the shop (5 weeks or so) and tbh I'd rather have my 2017 AU RR with all it's extra's than an entry 2020 Vogue RR, which is the first time that's happened to me. Normally the newer car has a big pull. I do much prefer the headlights, and the hidden compartment under the drinks holder for sunglasses but other than that the 2017 is holding it's own. the seat controls on doors are good but how often do you adjust the seats once you find your preference? and that lower console screen doesn't seem as easy as the climate knobs on the 2017. I do like the dynamic and economy driving setting options - although I haven't used them and tbh would probably end up driving in comfort most of the time in reality. No offence to 2020 owners btw but for me, the 2017 is holding its own for now. --
On my third Full Fat RR
there's nothing like it.

Post #597590 15th Jun 2021 2:02pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

there's a powerfuluk video on youtube that shows you how to do it..the job is a bit fiddly but can be done.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #597609 15th Jun 2021 3:14pm
Ukandrewf

thanks stan - i'm all for getting the dealer to handle it if possible especially as I raised a concern under warranty in 2019.

they're trying to claim hinged parts only have a year warranty. I guess they know but JLR should step up in this situation.

Andrew --
On my third Full Fat RR
there's nothing like it.

Post #597617 15th Jun 2021 3:36pm
Aspman

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Balmoral Blue

I paid £140 for 1hr labour to realign.

Seemed to be a fairly standard thing with them.
But after a couple of months my tailgate is misbehaving again.

Post #597785 17th Jun 2021 10:06am
Ukandrewf

they're replacing the left and right stays and the left and right hinges which I guess explains some of the cost. probably £600 of parts charge.

And I guess I'll get a new warranty on the work which should protect me for a few years and maybe the newer parts fix the problem properly.

Andrew --
On my third Full Fat RR
there's nothing like it.

Post #597788 17th Jun 2021 10:33am
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

If you look at most RRs over 3 years old the tailgate has dropped and the chrome strip across the back does not line up with the top of the tail lights.

My car is the same. It opens and shuts fine but it is wearing the paint on the lower tailgate and the spoiler has scratched the d-pillar trim a bit.

The dealer looked at it last week and said it needs new hinges and struts, not covered by the warranty and at a cost of £600.

But that didn't sound right to me so I did some more research and there is a recent bulletin, from October 2020 for this.

The bulletin says

On the North American version of the bulletin it describes the cause as being "tailgate hinge fasteners not being the preferred choice for application, potential relaxation" in other words they have stretched Very Happy !

So the four bolts that hold the hinge to the roof aren't good enough quality. The bulletin goes on to show how to replace the four bolts which is pretty simple. Changing the bolts should pull the hatch back into place. Part number is RYG501160

I spoke to Land Rover customer service and they said to get the dealer to inspect it and this could probably done under warranty as the bulletin is saying the bolts are a defective part. I'll let you know how I get on. 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #627945 6th Apr 2022 3:26pm
lambo911

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barolo Black

The dealer replaced the bolts as per the bulletin today, under warranty which has improved it a tiny bit but they said it needs proper alignment in their bodyshop which is not covered on the warranty...

Interestingly they had a 2019 car in there which was way worse than mine. The service guy said the warranty on alignment was only 1 year ! 2016 AB SDV8 Barolo black

Post #629794 26th Apr 2022 5:45pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

My tailgate has started to screech a little on closing the upper, should I be worried Rolling with laughter
Seems to be coming from the nearside strut.
Alignment looks good. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #629830 26th Apr 2022 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12