Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Pre-Reg MY17 versus MY18
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
fmb123

United Kingdom 

AndyS wrote:
I have a MY17 coming, this is a new car and I want to make sure it's not a lemon in respect of the infotainment from day one.

As there a re a few rejectors on here Bow down would you mind giving me tips on what to check before I drive away, are there specific tests I should carry out to ensure it's working 100%?
I am going in with eyes wide open and hoping I don't have a duffer otherwise it will be inserted where the sun don't shine at 100mph Thumbs Up

Unlikely to notice anything at the dealer. Land rover programme them to go wrong once you are 10 miles away. We rejected our 63 plate, was a complete hassle, involved lawyers etc. one thing we learnt is make sure you keep track of all the most minor faults, even if a light comes on then disappears. we ended up keeping a pocket diary in the glove box they were so regular.

Another tip for anyone who finds they have a Friday afternoon job - on the third visit to the dealer in the first month of ownership we made them put in writing that we would never have to wait to book the car in and after a red evoque was handed over the day before a sporting trip to Scotland, we made them agree our loaner would be a disco 4 or FFRR without fail.

Only upside was by the time we got them agree to replace ours (following LR pressure on the dealer) and then the build time, we had done over 30k miles on the faulty one or loaners. Also, having driven about 6 different loaner range rovers of various specs they let us make a few tweaks to the new one, as we realised there were a couple of options we had mistakenly not chosen.

Ours wasn't resold to my knowledge and LR informed me they would be recalling it from the dealer for tests.

Our replacement 64 plate was faultless apart from the little external key hole cover/thumb touch pad bit kept falling off.

That got stolen a year ago in London and we replaced with identical spec 17 plate, and both light washer spray covers fell off in week one. Rolling Eyes but since been perfect.

I have more faith in my '88 RR, in the last 8 years it has been to the garage once a year for MOT and service. (yes, it does have an easier life...)!! 2017 L405 Range Rover TDV6 Corris Grey
1988 3.5 Range Rover Classic
1993 4.2 Range Rover Classic LSE

Post #475820 14th Apr 2018 3:00pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Some Pre-reg MY18’s being offered now. I think this is my all time favorite RR colour Smile

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...obcid=soc3 MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #480531 9th Jun 2018 7:39pm
adrian72

United Kingdom 

Hello everyone,
I am new the forum, found it whilst doing some research on this very topic.
I am looking to purchase my 3rd RR (1st was a 2009 TDV8 - 3.6, current car 2011 VSE 4.4TDV8)
I was /am on the verge of either buying a pre-reg MY18 car or going for a factory order, however the MY17 or even 16 are looking more and more good value. (I am looking at 4.4tdv8 AB)
For the guys that went for a MY17 car - are the electronics still behaving - is there anyway of checking these out before purchase? or any other specifics to look for?
do you think that the value on the MY17 /16 cars will really drop (at a faster rate) now that MY18 cars are out and about?
Many thanks,

Adrian

Post #480779 12th Jun 2018 3:51pm
Phil.

Very happy with my MY17 4.4 AB after 5k miles. A step up from the MY16 and £15k-20k less than the equivalent MY18 to purchase.

It all depends on how important the new bits on the MY18 are to you. Mechanically there is no material difference. MY23 D350 HSE

Post #480782 12th Jun 2018 4:39pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I'm just coming up to 25,000 miles in my 30/9/17 registered 17MY SDV8 Autobiography and everything is working just fine Thumbs Up

Others may be more demanding of the Infotainment system than me, but the satnav works, as does the radio, CD and all of the Bluetooth gubbins. I have had it upgraded to the later firmware which took several hours and it's a useful upgrade. You can tell if it's the latest firmware as, on the homepage, where the shortcut for heating is, there is an inset button as a shortcut to the seat heater controls. I'd certainly insist on the latest firmware.

Please don't get me wrong, the 18MY is a nice car Thumbs Up However, for every genuine improvement, I can find at least two backward steps so, given the choice, I'd have the earlier car - even if the price were the same. The things I would miss most would be:

1. The reduction in the amount of wood on the dash - especially on the very top of the dash, at either end.
2. The removal of the big compartments, with the nice wooden lids, in the front doors.
3. The side marker lights.
4. The hard buttons and controls in the lower console that make really handy shortcuts for when a touch screen isn't best (such as when you need to actually look at the road ahead, or when bright sunshine is coming in through the open roof). The upper touch screen has lost it's magic dual view function.
5. The wonderful, wonderful, winged head restraints, that I've yet to find the exact equivalent of on any example of the new car.
6. The grippy and tactile feel and clear labelling of the steering wheel switches has gone.
7. The CD/DVD player is now a (no cost) option that takes up most of the upper glovebox and puts the slot out of the driver’s safe reach.

Will the MY17 drop in value compared to a MY18? Yes, definitely.

Will it more than offset the additional discount that you get at the front end? Unlikely.

Whichever one you choose, you'll get a really nice car though Thumbs Up

Last edited by Red Merle on 12th Jun 2018 5:37pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #480783 12th Jun 2018 4:57pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

No, there's no dual view now. I think because there was a way round it, so the driver could see the same as the passenger. Why anyone would want to do that whilst driving is mind boggling!!

You can switch between different instrument displays. I agree the touch screen is dangerous at times when driving, as you have to take your eyes off the road to make sure you hit the right icon. Great car though! Thumbs Up

Post #480786 12th Jun 2018 5:27pm
Red Merle

Thank you, posted corrected and another two added.

Post #480787 12th Jun 2018 5:32pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Gesture tail gate is brilliant though!! Rolling with laughter It is actually really good when you have your hands full and it's hacking down with rain!

Post #480789 12th Jun 2018 5:49pm
Red Merle

Isn’t that common to both years?

Post #480790 12th Jun 2018 6:17pm
Phil.

Gesture tailgate has been standard on all RR’s since MY16. MY23 D350 HSE

Post #480793 12th Jun 2018 7:17pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My 2017 has been fine, though I am not a great user of the tech and decided against installing a SIM card, so cannot tell if that would work. The depreciation will be quicker, but with the pre-reg 2017 car about £15,000 cheaper than MY 2018 I can live with it. Plus I could not be bothered with waiting about 6 months for MY 2018 - too impatient, though it is hard to find the right spec.

Convenient though the tailgate is, mine was set off in the garage when I moved a bucket and it hit the garage door and damaged the paintwork Big Cry . It would be useful to have the capacity to prevent it operating.

Agreed also that there is (even on MY 2017) too much "through the screen" which does move attention away from the road and is less safe.

Remarkably (to me anyway) after 3000 miles mainly out of town with cruise control on and moderate driving the car shows an average of over 25mpg (super unleaded). I like the 5.0SC much better than the 4.4TDV8 in the 322, but it is a bit frustrating having to exercise restraint with all that potential on tap. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #480832 13th Jun 2018 2:58pm
Red Merle

One day I’d really like to try the 5.0! No use for me, but I did try one in an F Type and it was an experience I’ll never forget!! Very Happy

Post #480834 13th Jun 2018 3:27pm
adrian72

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your comments - really helpful.
after more looking and research I am going to look for a 2017 car.(checking the firmware update on the infotainment!-great advice).. The price gap to a 2018MY car is too great to ignore and after having a good look at the 2018MY car, in my opinion it's too much of a premium for what is essentially the same looking car, with the same engine choice. The interior is arguably much nicer , but i suspect there could be teething problems.

I have found these cars for comparison(all the kind of spec i am happy with):
https://tinyurl.com/ya6htuov - this is a 2018MY tdv8 AB : 110k , this seems about right when i have compared the list price form the configorator

lots of examples about for 80-90K with anything from 10miles to 5k
the best value one I have found(albeit with 13k miles on) is : https://tinyurl.com/ybxvrtyg @69K thats nearly 40K less than a brand new one!

Post #480837 13th Jun 2018 4:13pm
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

Quote:
5. The wonderful, wonderful, winged head restraints, that I've yet to find the exact equivalent of on any example of the new car.

Here's the winged headrests on my MY18. My previous MY15.5 didn't have them so I've nothing to compare them to. Wouldn't say they are a must have.

Post #480976 15th Jun 2018 2:51pm
Red Merle

I'm pleased to see that they're still there Thumbs Up

Are the winged bits as tall and deep as the previous ones?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The rest of the seats look really nice though Thumbs Up It's hard to believe than mine are Ivory too, I guess that's just down to lighting (it being inside)?

Post #480996 15th Jun 2018 5:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>