Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6 speed gearbox ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Johnte

United Kingdom 
6 speed gearbox ?

Is the 6 speed gearbox in the 2006 facelift Range Rover still likely to suffer at the 100k (ish) mile mark, or was it improved and made stronger??

Thanks.

Post #49318 7th Feb 2011 11:57pm
bogie

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

think you might struggle to find a decent sample size of 100K mile old 4 year old cars to form an opinion on that one ...especially petrol engined ones ...you dont hear of many people doing 20-30K miles a year in a V8 petrol Range Wink

the gearbox is different though, as is the whole engine with the change from BMW to Jag derived powerplant, so one would hope its better cheers
bogie

Post #49326 8th Feb 2011 8:56am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

The 5 speed is not likely to fail at 100K if it has been serviced as per the manufacturers recommendations!
It's certainly one of the better gearboxes ZF have produced. This is reflected in that it finds itself in most large luxury cars (VW, BMW, Audi, Jag, RR).

The 6 speed is almost identical to the 5 speed except slightly longer internals to accommodate the extra gear, and obviously a re-worked ecu. If you leave the oil in a 6 speed for 100K then you will have exactly the same problems. 

Post #49331 8th Feb 2011 9:22am
Johnte

United Kingdom 

bogie wrote:
think you might struggle to find a decent sample size of 100K mile old 4 year old cars to form an opinion on that one ...especially petrol engined ones ...you dont hear of many people doing 20-30K miles a year in a V8 petrol Range Wink

the gearbox is different though, as is the whole engine with the change from BMW to Jag derived powerplant, so one would hope its better

I was under the impression that the facelift TD6 used a 6 speed gearbox, am I wrong - is it still the 5 speed ?

Post #49335 8th Feb 2011 10:48am
Johnte

United Kingdom 

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
The 5 speed is not likely to fail at 100K if it has been serviced as per the manufacturers recommendations!

Dan, Do you know what those recommendations are..?

Post #49338 8th Feb 2011 10:52am
dan_uk_1984

Wait a minute - are we talking petrol or diesel gearboxes?

In which case one is ZF the other is GM until the facelift then I think both use the ZF? Can someone confirm?

Either way I think the GM is rated to 50K and the ZF to 60K between oil changes. Hence why the early GM boxes tend to fail, because being diesel they do a lot of miles, usually more than the petrol varients and they need an oil change sooner etc. 

Post #49339 8th Feb 2011 10:58am
Johnte

United Kingdom 

Confusing..... Confused

I'm looking at buying a TD6 Vogue, reading lots of old posts it appears that gearboxes 'can' give up around the 100k miles mark. I also read that the facelift 2006 TD6 uses a 6 speed box.

I guess if I buy something at the 80 - 90k mile mark, I need to budget for the possibility of a new box in the not too distant future.. Crying or Very sad

If I buy one with a FLRSH, should the oil have been changed at the manufactures specified times?

Post #49343 8th Feb 2011 11:31am
dan_uk_1984

Johnte wrote:
Confusing..... Confused

I'm looking at buying a TD6 Vogue, reading lots of old posts it appears that gearboxes 'can' give up around the 100k miles mark. I also read that the facelift 2006 TD6 uses a 6 speed box.

I guess if I buy something at the 80 - 90k mile mark, I need to budget for the possibility of a new box in the not too distant future.. Crying or Very sad

If I buy one with a FLRSH, should the oil have been changed at the manufactures specified times?

LR say the box is "Sealed for life" this just means life of the warranty. Ideally if you change the oil as soon as you buy the car you should be OK. However, I may think twice about buying any car over 150K where it is definitely on the original gearbox oil. Unless you can budget for possible gearbox re-build.

When you do change the oil you will get an idea of the condition of the box (or your garage can tell you etc) if its full of cack then sell the car quick lol.

In reality, people complain loudest when things break - there are an awful lot of TD6's out there, they haven't all had failed gearboxes.

Dan 

Post #49344 8th Feb 2011 11:38am
Johnte

United Kingdom 

dan_uk_1984 wrote:

In reality, people complain loudest when things break - there are an awful lot of TD6's out there, they haven't all had failed gearboxes.

Dan

Good point Thumbs Up I guess you don't hear much from those that haven't had problems. Like anything else, It's the bad news that makes the headlines..

Post #49345 8th Feb 2011 11:46am
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

The TD6 used the GM box up until it was replaced by the TDV8. The BMW 4.4 petrol used the ZF 5 speed and the AJ41 and AJV8 both used the ZF 6 Speed gearbox.

The GM box is a little fragile and has a reputation for failure after about 60k but as Dan say if yo look after it then you should be fine. The ZF 5 and 6 Speed boxes are in Land Rovers words sealed for life but both require a transmission oils change at 150k (yes that is correct 150k) in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance shedule. Land Roger know this and will, when the time comes, suggest this to you when you book your car in for service. Quite why you would use LR for service on such a high mileage car is beyond me but the oil change procedure is not difficul and can be done by any garage with the correct oil and additive. The sump seal and pan will need replacing a the same time. Can remember the capacity of the gearbox but it won't break the bank to do. 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #49360 8th Feb 2011 2:02pm
dan_uk_1984

Steve, where is your source for the 150K figure?

I cant find anything that says that - the only references to 150K I can find is that is what BMW has deemed the acceptible life of their gearboxes is. However ZF seem to have released two lots of figures 50K and 60K. 

Post #49364 8th Feb 2011 2:37pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

From the L322 07-on Service Sheet:

Replace transfer case fluid every 5 years/120,000 km.
Renew locking differential fluid every 5 years/120,000 km.
Renew front and rear axle oil, every 10 years.
Replace automatic transmission fluid and filter every 10 years/240,000 km.

Post #49365 8th Feb 2011 2:59pm
Avi

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

My facelift TD6 is a 5 Speed.

I was very jealous last week, having driven the 8 Speed 4.4D Sad Apologies if i've posted this on my phone and it contains strange spelling and punctuation.. i just can't be bothered to correct it Very Happy

Post #49366 8th Feb 2011 3:00pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I believe the Td6 kept the GM 5-speed even after facelift as the ZF was not a fit.

Post #49367 8th Feb 2011 3:01pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

it was a while after the facelift that it got the gearbox with the gear lever nearer to the driver and i think the petrol was even later..... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #49368 8th Feb 2011 3:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>