Home > Technical (L322) > 2010 5.0SC Gearbox/Transfer Box Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RoverDramas

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Java Black
2010 5.0SC Gearbox/Transfer Box Failure

Hello

My first post here, but not my first visit.

I have a 2010 5.0 Supercharged, not my first RR, having had a 4.2 SC before this one and numerous other vehicles, including P38's and Classics and the odd Discovery.

This one I purchased at the end of 2016, with just 40k miles on and having completed less than 62,000 I have suffered from gearbox/transfer box failure. It appears to be as a result of the lack of lubrication between the gearbox output and transfer case input that has been noted in a few other posts. I have photographs, which I cannot yet attach.

I wrote to LR, who have informed me that (these are their own words) "...our Internal Technical team .... have confirmed that the part you have experienced concerns with is unfortunately heavily influenced by driving style."

I wrote again and was told, once again "I am sorry to learn that you remain disappointed with the response I have provided however this is after gaining further guidance from our Technical Team whereby it has been advised that the part is a result of wear and tear due to potential driving styles."

I am aware of a few other posts where this has been discussed and wondered if any other members had experienced this approach from JLR.

Post #474778 4th Apr 2018 12:30pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think the 5.0 has the same 8-speed gearbox as the 4.4 diesel. There are a few of us here including Baltic Blue who has complied a fault list and I can't say I've heard of this myself. The diesel has 700nm of torque which is more than the 5.0 I think. Some have chipped their diesels up to 800nm and trans failure has not been really mentioned a lot or at all. It's been discussed that 700nm is at the upper limits of this box though. Anyway if it was driving style, we'd have heard about it. Or lunched a few boxes ourselves.

Has your car got a tow bar fitted?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Last edited by GGDR on 4th Apr 2018 1:05pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #474783 4th Apr 2018 1:02pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

cancel that, 5.0 has a different box.

I'd still like to know if you car has a tow bar. It's a possible explanation for extreme abuse. Maybe.
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #474784 4th Apr 2018 1:05pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I've seen a reply almost exactly the same wording that was sent about a different (known) problem on an out of warranty Rangerover. I think this is pretty much what any manufacturer would respond to an issue on an 8 year old car, I certainly wouldn't expect them to accept any responsibility.

Post #474786 4th Apr 2018 1:32pm
RoverDramas

Hi

Thanks for your reply. No, is the answer. The car has no tow bar and has never had one fitted. It has a full, main-dealer service history and it is hard to imagine the abuse it could have been put through in just 62,000 miles that would lead to such a failure.

Post #474788 4th Apr 2018 2:20pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

Perhaps, but after 8 years as said above, no manufacturer is going to give a monkey's unfortunately.

Save yourself the heartache of beating on their door to no avail and move painfully on to repairing it! Sad Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #474789 4th Apr 2018 2:35pm
RoverDramas

cass wrote:
I've seen a reply almost exactly the same wording that was sent about a different (known) problem on an out of warranty Rangerover. I think this is pretty much what any manufacturer would respond to an issue on an 8 year old car, I certainly wouldn't expect them to accept any responsibility.

The age of the car is irrelevant to the question I posed. Chronological age is not what has caused this component failure.

Neither did I request that they accept responsibility, I simply asked them to confirm whether they would expect a Land Rover Range Rover gearbox output shaft to have lasted just 61,000 miles.

Given that they have suggested this, I have asked them to produce the documentation that describes the specific driving style that causes this premature failure and when this documentation was distributed to every Range Rover user on how they should and should not drive their cars.

Last edited by RoverDramas on 4th Apr 2018 2:42pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #474790 4th Apr 2018 2:39pm
RoverDramas

bishbosh10 wrote:
Perhaps, but after 8 years as said above, no manufacturer is going to give a monkey's unfortunately.

Save yourself the heartache of beating on their door to no avail and move painfully on to repairing it! Sad

It's already been done. The point of my question is because my warranty company are suggesting this is "wear and tear" which is remarkable on a part such as this.

The gearbox shaft in question is not inspected at any regular service, it does not form part of any service schedule, it cannot be viewed or inspected without the removal of the gearbox or transfer box and were it the case that it might fail in less than 62,000 miles it really should be included somewhere.

I wanted Land Rover's take on the suggestion that their gearbox output shafts are made of chocolate.

Post #474791 4th Apr 2018 2:41pm
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I have no experience of JLR's attitude I'm afraid. But if your warranty provider is saying this failure is "wear and tear" I'd be amazed, and quite frankly rather angry! If a warranty doesn't cover something like this then what is the point of it?
Good luck with getting this resolved.

Post #474795 4th Apr 2018 3:03pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Is the failure through fretting corrosion of the spline, rather than a torsional failure?

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic32191.html?

Phil

Post #474812 4th Apr 2018 6:30pm
RoverDramas

Absolutely, yes.

It looks just like the pictures; the splines on the shaft and cup have worn and there is no sign of any lubrication ever having been present.

Nothing but gibberish from JLR, on the subject and I am finding it difficult to reconcile their attitude. They seem content to accept that this part of their cars can wear away in less than 62,000 miles, yet the recommended service interval for the supercharger belt is almost double this mileage.

They tell me that these parts are not lubricated at the factory and the anti seize grease is only used if these parts are refitted. At maufacture they are fitted dry.

I don’t manufacture vehicles, but surely any metal on metal contact requires some form of lubrication.

Post #474833 4th Apr 2018 9:04pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The splines would have to be lubricated at assembly otherwise this would be a common failure - your vehicle got missed. The D4 WSM specifications for the transfer case input shaft spline list the lubricant.

Input shaft splines grease Weicon TL7391

Post #474842 4th Apr 2018 9:45pm
RoverDramas

Well you’d think so wouldn’t you, but Land Rover sent me an email today with the following, when I suggested a lack of lubrication;

“...anti seize grease is applied during the removal and refitting of the transmission. However this is a service procedure and is not necessarily the same process completed when the vehicle is in the manufacturing process as these parts are fitted dry.”

Post #474843 4th Apr 2018 10:06pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I suspect that the shaft is coated with a dry lubricant by the TC manufacturer allowing the g/box and transfer case to be assembled without mess and therefore no cleaning-up during assembly. It might be dry but a lubricant none the less.

Post #474855 5th Apr 2018 12:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1