Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > ZF 8 speed fluid and filter change 2011 TDV8 4.4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
ZF 8 speed fluid and filter change 2011 TDV8 4.4

Having just spent this afternoon changing the fluid and filter on my 4.4 TDV8, I thought I'd share my experience.
My car has done just over 54,000 miles and it drives without fault, so this was preventative maintenance since I simply do not believe the "sealed for life", or "service at 140,000 miles" JLR policy. My reasoning was that if I do fluid changes every year, say, the gearbox contents will get a regular refresh, although not of course a 100% flush. I don't do huge annual mileage.

I didn't get a chance to take photos, sorry.

I ordered ZF Lifeguard 8 on line (£136 delivered for 10 litres) and a genuine ZF filter which was £62 delivered.

Right, the process - luckily I had access to a ramp, I would hate to do this job wriggling underneath the car, in fact I definitely couldn't since I'm not young and agile!
First thing is to remove the plastic undertray that also covers the front diff - six 10 mm bolts (self tapping screws?), very simple. I did actually change the front diff, rear diff and transfer box fluids this morning as well.
Next are six 10 mm bolts that secure a metal plate which I think is a heat shield. Anyway, again that is easy. There are a couple of cables that you need to unclip too. Just tug on the fittings.
Now you encounter a metal bracket, it extends under the gearbox sump so you have to remove it. I've no idea why it is there - protection for when off-roading, perhaps? Anyway, this is secured by four 8 mm bolts. These are REALLY fiddly to get at, especially the one on the left (UK passenger) side at the front. You can't get a socket on it, but a 8 mm ratchet spanner is probably your best bet.
Finally you have access to the gearbox sump. Undo the filler plug (it's high up on the right hand side, at the back) using a 8 mm (I think) Allen bit. At this point, fluid showered everywhere! Next time I'd just loosen the filler plug just to make sure it wasn't stuck. Now undo the drain plug and collect the used fluid.

I inspected the used fluid; it was brown but smelled neutral, not burnt at all. There were no metal particles in it or anything else, which is reassuring. Now you can take off the sump, there are 13 Torx T40 bolts. One of them, at the back on the right (UK driver side), is a swine to get to, because the exhaust gets in the way. You'll need a T40 Torx key with a 90 degree angle, or a wobble bar might work. Remove the sump and discard, and replace with a new one. The genuine ZF kit includes new T40 bolts, a new filler plug, and has the drain plug already fitted. Torque setting for the new T40 bolts is 10 Nm.

Now you need to fill the new sump - I used a big 1.5 litre syringe with a long clear output tube. I found that about 3 litres came out, so I pumped 3 litres of new ZF Lifeguard 8 back in - it started to overflow from the filler hole.

Next step, lower the car, start the engine, and fire up your IID tool - you are looking for the transmission oil temperature. Rev to 2000 rpm and either switch off, or keep running to get the oil temperature to between 30 and 50 Celsius. Now select P, R, and D and manually select D1 then D2 - keep your foot on the brake!!
Check temperature is still 30-50 degrees, get the car back in the air, and undo the filler plug. Either let fluid dribble out until it stops, or top up until it dribbles. Then tighten the filler plug to 30 Nm. Wipe everything down with the help of brake cleaner.

Replace the PITA metal bracket (four 8 mm bolts), the metal sump shield (six 10 mm bolts) and finally the plastic engine/diff undertray (six 10 mm bolts).

Now go and have a hot shower to wash away all the old fluid that drenched yourself with earlier!

If you've got access to a ramp, and all the necessary tools (an impact driver for the sump and undertray bolts is a godsend), I reckon you can do all this in about 2 hours without rushing.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Post #474941 5th Apr 2018 7:12pm
Frans@Yamorna

South Africa 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Thanks!!I am having the service done at ZF on monday.Will make sure they replace all the bits they remove!
Cheers 2012 TDV8 Vogue SE 4.4

Post #474943 5th Apr 2018 7:28pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Sounds like you're having fun CoB. Very helpful write up.

Thumbs Up

Post #474947 5th Apr 2018 8:01pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Re: ZF 8 speed fluid and filter change 2011 TDV8 4.4

counter of beans wrote:
I did actually change the front diff, rear diff and transfer box fluids this morning as well.

GREAT stuff well done, you make it sound simple. Would you say a day taking your time would be ok to do full fluids change - the auto box, transfer box, and 2 x diffs - and engine oil COB?

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #474948 5th Apr 2018 8:06pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Oh after you filled the initial 3 litres - did you top it up by much - how many litres all-in did you use?
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #474950 5th Apr 2018 8:10pm
counter of beans

GonnaGoDouble - I'd say you'd need most of a day to do all those fluids/oil; assuming it's your first time. The diffs and transfer box probably take less than an hour to do if you're hurrying, but I was being very careful. For instance, simply filling, refilling and squirting (ooer matron) the syringe takes some time. And you always seem to encounter some nut or bolt that you can't easily get to. And the filler holes seem to be placed in the most inaccessible places! Apart from the transfer box - that really is simple, the easiest of the lot.

The whole thing is also rather messy so I spent a fair bit of time cleaning up various spills, and cleaning up around the various diffs etc. Also, the gearbox refill procedure is a faff. Honestly, why can't they just have a dipstick of some sort?

To answer your other question - about 3 litres came out, maybe 3.5 - it's a bit hard to tell because it's tricky not to spill any on the floor. It needed about another 0.25 litres after the initial refill, i.e. such that fluid was dribbling from the filler hole. So I refilled 3.25 litres - I think the whole system holds 7 or 8 litres so it isn't a full replacement.

Next time I will probably just drain and refill the ZF box, no need to change the sump again I think, which will be much simpler.

Still, I really enjoyed having a thorough look under the car. It confirmed that there is a small oil leak at the back of the engine (turbo pipe O rings I expect), but that there's almost no rust apart from the exhaust hangers.

Post #475059 6th Apr 2018 10:02pm
m@ttsFF

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I used one of these for the transmission fluid - cheap, simple and no mess

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...2023246575 4.4 AdBlu Tractor
4.2 SC - sold

Post #475118 7th Apr 2018 12:42pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

gonna_go_double_r wrote:
Oh after you filled the initial 3 litres - did you top it up by much - how many litres all-in did you use?

I've done mine twice recently, once just the oil then again a few months later with a new filter. On both occasions it took close to 5 litres to fill it up. I don't doubt the figure of 3 and a bit litres as the lad helping me who has more experience with these boxes was surprised when we opened the 5th bottle. Our conclusion was that temperature and/or differences in degrees of tilt may have a bigger effect than you might expect.

I've only mentioned this as I would hate to see someone do this armed with only 4 litres!

Post #475133 7th Apr 2018 2:21pm
counter of beans

Agreed cass, you probably don't need the ten litres I had, but I'd want to have five or six litres on hand.

Post #475153 7th Apr 2018 6:11pm
Frans@Yamorna

South Africa 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Had the box flushed and filter change,all by ZF service centre....very happy!Box shifting very smooth!No reset on the 8 speed box,the box does this continually. 2012 TDV8 Vogue SE 4.4

Post #475548 12th Apr 2018 5:21am
kooky_guy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just a quick (probably dumb) question, is the final top up done with the engine still running? 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #475552 12th Apr 2018 6:53am
m@ttsFF

Yep , and at the right temp 4.4 AdBlu Tractor
4.2 SC - sold

Post #475567 12th Apr 2018 10:12am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

reading the LR Bumf on doing this,

there is no mention of temps in the LR draining instructions, I would have thought that having the stat open would be a must....

However the level check should be started below 30 deg then the temp increased......aparently... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #492081 13th Oct 2018 10:38am
m@ttsFF

I ran mine up to temp beforehand draining the fluid (6sp) .. then left if for a while to get out as much fluid as possible
Also worth squirting some plus gas on the pan bolts ahead of time 4.4 AdBlu Tractor
4.2 SC - sold

Post #492219 14th Oct 2018 11:33am
Lester Burnham

United Kingdom 

Can you do this change without a diagnostic tool?

Post #492526 16th Oct 2018 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>