Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 Tow Hitch Part Number For Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Drew

Australia 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
L322 Tow Hitch Part Number For Australia

I know this has been a popular topic and there are other threads already but...

I have done a lot of searching to try and confirm where I stand as far as towing with my L322 here in Australia (2007 4.2SC L322 Imported from the UK), but I am still not sure I have a definitive answer. My car is fitted with the UK Westfalia tow hitch assembly from factory with the detachable quick release swan neck tow ball (My question is around the hitch receiver and not the swan neck or quick release assembly as I am replacing it with a solid shank tongue and ball).

I have found there are four different part numbers for the tow hitch assembly:

VUB000740 & VUB503960 - These appear to be the EU spec assemblies with a Westfalia sticker showing a max ball weight of 150kg for a 50mm square hitch.

KNI000014 & KNI500020 - These appear to be the US spec assemblies with a Wesfalia sticker showing a max ball weight of 770lbs (350kg) for a 52mm square hitch.

The 2 part numbers for each assembly covers up to 2006 and after 2006 cars, however based on everything I can find there is little difference between them.

My question is what part numbers are fitted to the Australian L322s as most that I have seen appear to have the KNIXXXXXX part fitted and I would like know if that is the standard here. I have tried the local LR dealerships and even an independent and none of them can confirm what should be the correct part for here in Australia (just seem to want to sell the new cars).

All of this stems from the fact that you can apparently in Australia (Queensland) tow up to 3.5T (braked) with a max nose weight of 250kg (yes the owners manual states if the weight is removed from the vehicle payload and doesn't exceed the weight for the rear axle or can be completely ignored for the Australian market). Whilst I am very confident that my Westfalia hitch will do this as they all appear to be the same... the sticker on the hitch assembly clearly states 150kg max tow ball could be the limiting factor and trumps everything else if stopped and inspected (yes I could just remove the sticker) Laughing

If need be I will swap out the hitch receiver if the Australian market part has a higher max ball weight stamped on it (no I don't really want to tow anything with a ball weight over 200kg but most camper trailers here are between 150kg and 200kg).

Keen for any input from people that tow trailers or vans in Australia (ideally QLD) and their experience.

I have attached picture examples of the different Westfalia tow hitch assemblies and their weight spec cards. I have also attached the commentary from the owners manual on the various nose weight limitations for the different markets.

Click image to enlarge

Post #587669 16th Mar 2021 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1