Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > How reliable are current model RRs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

I note you've only made the odd post Mca71, so you might well be a plant trying to reel me in Mr. Green

If you are not a plant please do share your dossier of evidence that 'the tdv6 is the problem engine' spoiling the L405 ownership experience and that 'there are a lot of unhappy tdv6 owners out there'. There has been a particularly unhappy TDV8 owner on this thread (and with good reason so it would seem), however no such L405 TDv6 owners to date.

Have you done any research on this forum? Because unless some parts of the forum are restricted access, the threads I've read and contributed to offer a more balanced view; and in fact most of the caution advocated about the TDV6 engine on this forum seems to originate from TDV8 owners Mr. Green

I'd be surprised if L405 TDv6 or TDV8 owners on this forum would suggest any of them are bullet proof. For the majority, they both seem to serve the L405 very well Thumbs Up

Post #490280 29th Sep 2018 8:07am
Mca71

Hi there,

No, not trying to real anyone in. Im a long time bmw driver of x5 and 5 series cars but genuinely interested in buying a full fat rr as my next car. I had seen a v6 that I was very interested in that has now sold, but as usual I do my internet research in advance of a purchase.

I generally do short distance driving, five or six miles a day with bi weekly drive across the country of about 100 miles. My concern about the v6 comes from the following notice

https://disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/12358/JLRP00100.pdf

It specifically mentions the v6 and not v8. I have not yet test driven both engines but I imagine I would be very happy with either, so the major factor that would put me off the v6 is this issue. I want a sub 10k mileage or close car that has the new infotainment system and would like to stay within 65k... it’s gojng to be more for the v8 but I would stretch to that if there is no oil dilution issue. I’m woul like an SE spec.

Post #490290 29th Sep 2018 9:36am
Cobstar

United Kingdom 

Quite a lot of reports of engine failures on the diesel V6 on D4s on Disco3!and I think RRSs. Also owners with failed engines are relying on JLR goodwill as warranty companies say caused by a known problem. See Tim in Scotland's post on the RRS Forum explaining why he moved away from an RRS2 after the three year manufacturer's warranty ended.

Post #490291 29th Sep 2018 9:51am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

My focus is on L405 examples.

On this forum there are arguably as many or more reports of issues that need to be fixed with the 4.4... and here is another one:
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48947.html

The collective 4.4 reports wouldn’t cause me any concerns if buying a 4.4 either.

There are currently no reports on this forum of an L405 3.0 TDv6 owner being left high and dry due to crankshaft issues.

I looked long and hard for the right 4.4 and ended up with a 3.0. Having undertaken my own comprehensive due diligence I have no regrets or concerns at all. It’s a fantastic car, as all variants of RR are 👍🏻

Last edited by pld118 on 14th Oct 2018 1:58pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #490297 29th Sep 2018 10:32am
Cobstar

United Kingdom 

@pld118 I confess that only recently have I been considering the L405 so I haven't done the due diligence yet. I welcome the fact that there are people like you that have done that research and will inform my future car buying decisions.

I did research the issues with D4s prior to purchase and decided that I was buying new with PCP I would take the risk and rely on a manufacturer's warranty.

Puts thinking cap on and adds TDV6 L405s into the mix to research Thumbs Up

Post #490303 29th Sep 2018 10:56am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

My problem hasn’t put me off the SDV8 in the slightest, it is just LR’s Customer Services that’s got a fight on its hands to win back their tattered reputation.

I’ve watched the V6 diesel issues on Disco 3/4 for some time, having come from D4’s. Weirdly, there’s only one warranty company that’s refusing crank shaft claims and that’s Land Rover’s Approved warranty company! So steer clear of them on a V6.

The problem with the stories of V6 failures is that there seem to be a small number of genuinely aggrieved customers and a much larger number of the “worried well” hyping it out of all proportion. I’d run one with either the manufacturer’s original warranty or an aftermarket company other than LR’s Approved one.

Having said that, once you’ve got used to the bottom end (from 700rpm idle) torque of the V8 and the usefully flatter cornering characteristics, it’s a hard thing to live without Thumbs Up Especially when, driven at similar speeds, the fuel consumption’s about the same. Ouse the full performance and it all goes south very quickly, but at least you’ve got the option to use it!

Post #490306 29th Sep 2018 11:46am
Red Merle

CRC@LandRover wrote:

Hi Red Merle,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this.

Please provide me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details for me to assist further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

It’s a kind offer.

However, with respect, I’m not sure that there’s anything that you’ll be able to do that the combined forces of my dealer, the finance company, Land Rover technical and my “Solution Executive” (who seems to have the job of telling me, or even asking, what’s going on days after it happened) haven’t managed to achieve within the last 43 days...

Last edited by Red Merle on 3rd Oct 2018 12:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #490773 3rd Oct 2018 8:04am
MJGH

RM following delivery of the required parts to your dealer you were hopeful the issue might be resolved Monday gone.
I take it from your post you are still awaiting a satisfactory conclusion?

Post #490779 3rd Oct 2018 9:03am
Red Merle

Yes, it’s still awaiting resolution.

UPDATE: After 44 days inside, she's being released tomorrow!!

Post #490782 3rd Oct 2018 9:16am
Brunel

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Thread resurrection

Did this get resolved satisfactorily and, if so, how?

Post #513561 29th Apr 2019 2:55pm
Red Merle

Hello Brunel.

Yes, it was fixed in the end. After 44 days in sick bay, they finally had a revised wiring sub loom arrive to reconnect the main loom with the oil sensor inside the engine block. 7 hours labour to fit it, along with a new turbo and a series of “sub optimal” loaners and it was all done. Got a free major service for the inconvenience and didn’t put 4,500 miles on my own car Thumbs Up

It appears to be an unusual problem, but it appears when oil seeps out along the cable and saturated the electronics on the back of the primary turbocharger, giving a yellow engine warning light and an interesting array of error codes! Not heard of anyone else on here with the same issues and it’s not returned in 21,000 miles.

Post #513567 29th Apr 2019 3:33pm
Brunel

Good to hear. A similar problem besets the Mercedes SLK R170 series - had it with my partners - though at least it's a cheap fix there.

Post #513570 29th Apr 2019 3:45pm
Fifth Horseman

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

It can't be that uncommon as there is now a tech bulletin that covers this fault (LTB01087v3)

Post #513574 29th Apr 2019 4:31pm
Red Merle

Indeed, which is how I was able to get the revised part. But I’ve yet to find a report of anyone else experiencing exactly the same on here.

I just hope we don’t now get the usual rush of “the worried well” now Rolling Eyes

Post #513578 29th Apr 2019 4:50pm
Brunel

Yep. T’internet’s great but car fora are full of people who like to focus on problems. I see it on the Mercedes clubs I’m involved with - a car of a certain age and there’s doom and gloom about wiring looms disintegrating. They’re easily fixed, so Factor it in and move on.

I had the same selling my Disco - the guy. Who bought it was fretting about the inlet manifold cracking and was surprised when I’d never heard of the problem - why should I, I’d owned it from new and the manifolds hadn’t cracked. There had been no recall so unless I spent all my spare time searching for problems...

Anyway, the L405 does generally seem reasonably reliable reading this forum (I’m hoping I won’t regret writing that)

Post #513579 29th Apr 2019 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>