Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Cold Turkey over, think I've found my next one!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

completed just going to check oil level and fire her up!!
have a wiz round the block then do oil and filter change 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #584456 19th Feb 2021 3:02pm
stevepen

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Brilliant Guide. Just done mine at weekend. I changed the O rings a few months ago but still got the oil smell now and again. Gaskets done now so hope it's solved it. The old ones were very flat and it was a good opportunity to clean out all the crud from the intake manifold etc 2011 Vogue SE TDV8

Post #608826 11th Oct 2021 7:11am
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

I found mine still smelt for quite a while after I did the change, I think the oil only burns of certain places when it is really hot or long run. Been fine for the last year or more but took months before it cleared initially.

Cheers,

MM 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #608951 12th Oct 2021 5:11pm
stevepen

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Yes, same here. Done a couple of weeks ago and still had a feint oil smell for a few days. Was worried I'd not put something back properly. Nothing now and when someone is in the car with me I don't have to blame the car in front Laughing 2011 Vogue SE TDV8

Post #610322 25th Oct 2021 1:22pm
Pysta

Slovakia 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

Finding myself in the same situation as most of you here, I prepared the tools, consumables and extra spare time to get the job done on a nice Saturday morning. The disassembly was going pretty smooth, took me something around 2 cups and an hour until I got the cooler assy out ... just to find out that some F% Censored wit has already been in there before me, and plastered EVERYTHING with silicone:

Click image to enlarge

...to add to my immeasurable joy, he also stripped 4 bolts. Oh the long-forgotten joys of in-car thread repair jobs Evil or Very Mad . As you can see, everything was full of silicone residue which took hours to clean up:

Click image to enlarge

...and as a cherry on top, as he decided to use silicone instead of 20 euros worth of new gaskets, he even skimmed on 33 cents and put the goo onto the turbo oil pipe as well! Sure is sure:

Click image to enlarge

Now to wait and see what other damage I have not been able to find and fix Banging Head

Post #616984 20th Dec 2021 10:52am
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Delivery arrived from Rob at Duckworths today and it's worth noting that the oil cooler gaskets have new part numbers, signifying an update / change to the original parts.

New part numbers are LR113003 & LR113004.

The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #617259 22nd Dec 2021 2:58pm
paul530a

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

JMC, do you have a part number for the large air hose and connectors shown in your photo. I'm just about to start the whole process on my 2011 V8.

Post #622713 6th Feb 2022 12:20pm
mezo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Great guide - i ordered the o-ring for the coolant hose, but elected not to replace it as it seemed ok - may live to regret that...

Post #626090 13th Mar 2022 6:23pm
paul530a

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've just completed the fix. It would have been extremely difficult without this great guide. Some of the bolts were tricky to find without reference to the photos. I got the new seals part numbers are LR113003 & LR113004 and replaced the orings in the oil feeder and the water pipe.

What was a pain was the amount of crud that came out of the intakes. Bits of it fell out onto the ground and it makes for a very messy black goo which seems to get everywhere!.

No leaks so far and so I am very happy.

Post #626149 14th Mar 2022 2:20pm
mm289

So my original "new to me car thread" has in reality turned into the oil cooler replacement thread Laughing - but that's cool, happy to be of help Thumbs Up

The AB will probably be going up for sale in the next few weeks so I though I would do the last preventative maintenance task I had on my list ready for the next owner.

So on with the rear wheel arch inspection Smile Nice how to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_cU20rfgs if you want to see how to do it as I am a bit picture short on this one.

Basically,
Remove rear wheel
Remove 2 x 8mm bolts inside wheel arch and 1 x 10mm nut under the top of the wheel arch.
Depending on if you have mudflaps or not you can then remove 2 or 3 retaining screws that secure the liner to the rear and front of the arch.
Remove the rubber trim strip from around the rear edge of the arch.

The liner itself is a tight fit but I peeled it away from the inner lip of the front of the arch and then peeled it out of the arch lip all the way around. It takes a fair bit of force but you won't break anything - just be careful you don't scratch the paintwork Laughing

The liner will then come out; NOTE if you have TPMS you will find a wire attached to the trailing edge of the liner so be careful when you remove as it doesn't have a lot of slack on it.

Once the liner is out you can see the wheel arch itself - after a wipe over mine were pretty much perfect so that was great.

The rust issue on these tends to be from inside the front of the arch and on the arch itself, combination of stone chips and accumulation of muck that never gets cleaned away. They are also notorious for corroding underneath the plastic cill trim that covers the jacking points etc, so I thought I would pull off these as well to check out the cills.

That meant removing the running boards which was easier than I thought 2 x 13mm bolts and 4 x 10mm on each board.

The cill trim is removed by popping out the 8 or so plastic retaining clips underneath, then if you give it a smart tap the upper retaining clips will pop out from the top off the cill.

I would recommend remembering/photographing the way the running board, cill trim, mudflaps orient as I had a lot of faff trying to get these to fit back together (mine has the design pack as well which probably didn't help).

Anyway, once the cill trims are off hopefully Shocked you will see something like this.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A set of lovely rust free cills Very Happy

There was a few bits of surface discoloration on the inner arch and some stone chip damage on the lip which I treated with Hydrate 80 (Bilt Hamber rust converter which I really rate) and then sprayed over with a LR spray touch up can just for added protection.

Probably took me about 5 hours but most of that was trying to get it back together Laughing

I need to replace a couple of the larger (10mm head) self tapping bolts as the captive nut bit came off on disassembly and disappeared somewhere - so if anyone knows of a link to these or what size they are let me know Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Paul. 2011 TDV8 AB

Post #626166 14th Mar 2022 7:10pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

It's nice to see one so solid in the cills after recent pictures!

I'm almost scared to take the covers off mine! Laughing

Are the covers easy to remove? 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #626424 18th Mar 2022 10:33am
mm289

Not difficult to remove but fiddly. If you have sidesteps these need to come off first which is easiest done on a ramp.

Then popping the clips underneath is pretty straightforward and popping the trim retainer clips near the top is just a matter of giving it a slap - with the normal caveat that sometimes one or two will break.

The faff was getting it all lined up nicely when putting back together.

Cheers,

MM 2011 TDV8 AB

Post #626444 18th Mar 2022 4:04pm
MC-RR

Monaco 2012 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

What a superb walk through mm289 A pleasure to read and view.

Thanks to your post as well as Graeme and Kinger I just replaced my oil feed pipe "o" rings and even though i was a tad reluctant I decided to go ahead.
Your explanations were so thorough it actually took no time to get it done. The rings where rather tired and I am sure I have eliminated a leak i suspected came from there.
For info, I placed a bit o sticky tape to the end of the 8mm socket to remove and reset the bolt which made the task much easier. Was afraid it would be swallowed for ever inside the engine labyrinth.

best

A RR HSE TDV8 4.4 2012
Jaguar S type 3.6l
Jaguar XJ8
Jaguar X type 3l
Triumph TR6 1976 - Jeep CJ7 1976

Post #627377 30th Mar 2022 7:03pm
Jon G

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Just done the O Rings on mine yesterday.
Fantastic guide with great instructions 👍👍👍 2001, 4.4 TDV8, Vogue, Baltic Blue

Post #630942 8th May 2022 7:07am
nambFFRR

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi

Just on with the oil cooler change and as usual for me, I’m having problems splitting electrical plugs….
How do I split this one? Tried but it just won’t budge

Any advice appreciated

Post #634435 12th Jun 2022 6:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>