Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Tell us about your POSITIVE experiences with Range Rover!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 

I’m on my third , only issue I ever had was an alternator at 70,000 miles on the first one.

I agree lots of horror stories, but I haven’t had any... im not technically minded, just switch on and go... so something that’s going to be temperamental wouldn’t be for me...

Another French story... going a long a bit to fast, and Le Plod could only stare as we wizzed by.... open mouthed and a stunned look on their face. Actually happened twice! Regret automated speed cameras are not so easily swayed.

I tend to buy with a 1000 miles in the clock ex demo, they sort out all the squeaks before the next demo, Shed loads of money to buy new/ nearly new .. is really my only major concern.

Enjoy, life isn’t a dress rehearsal Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #493276 22nd Oct 2018 5:55pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Great analogy Swisso!!! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #493282 22nd Oct 2018 6:32pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My almost 30 years of only RRs looks a bit puny compared with Swissomatic's experience, but tells its story too. I've had 2 and 4 door Classics, a P38, two 322s and now a 405. Until the first 322 I never considered getting anything other than a newer RR to replace what I had. Then, exasperated by a spell of constant expense and hassle I looked quite hard for something better, even considering going to two cars. I couldn't find anything. As others have said, a RR that is working is "the best car in the world". The RR Cullinan might offer more in some areas, but what a price...

Some positive stories:

- A friend has a 405 4.4 SDV8 and in four years from new had no problems at all, other than something about speed camera recognition.

- I once drove from near the south coast of Ireland to Larne, then ferry to Troon, up to Highland Perthshire in wind and heavy rain, and then to Edinburgh in one journey, no aches and pains, tired, but could have done the same the next day easily.

- It's a great car for helping people: e.g. taking my girlfriend to a client meeting she needed to attend out in the country when there was deep snow, towing a party of Germans out of a ditch beside a single track road near Scourie, and (my favourite) towing a Discovery and a Jeep out of a field in which they were stuck (I had better traction from my Goodyear MT/R tyres).

- There are better dealers, I've been with Croall Bryson/LLoyd Land Rover in Kelso since 2000 and am content. I did use an excellent independent in the Classic days. My experience has been that smaller dealers in more rural areas try harder, but this is maybe being eroded by the consolidation imposed on the sector by JLR, and their requirement that dealers spend ever more on fancy showrooms, catering etc which has to be paid for somehow.

- LR Customer Relations generally try to be helpful, though I think they are not as good as they were, as initial contact is now with telephonists that have less knowledge than one gets on this forum.

And last but not least, this forum is a great source of advice and information.

I hope the OP gets a good one... Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #493296 22nd Oct 2018 8:47pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Lucky to have had a pretty good experience mostly - On my third FFRR now. First was the best, a may 2002 TD6. Bought it in 2009 sight unseen and undriven from an auction. Paid £11500. Never spent a penny except for servicing. Never went wrong In 3 yrs. had some memorable drives down to the alps, through some of the worst winter weather in 15 yrs. arrived each time, warm calm and safe. Even after 11hrs in one stretch. Best seats ever imho. Also could do nearly 600 miles on a tank! Sold to a friend and still going. Original gearbox etc.

Click image to enlarge

Next bought one from a forum member. Autobiography with all the bells and the superb 4.4L BMW engine and lpg. Again high miles (135,000 when purchased.), now on 190,000. Great sound, faultless running mostly but over 7years had to replace 2water pumps, radiator, and chain guides and chains (at 186,000). Still runs fine.

Now got a 2011 4.4 TDV8 as a filler while I look for a good 5.0l SC or a 405. Great interior and engine. Not as economical as my petrol/lpg but bags of grunt.

The secret to getting a good car is to buy off this forum or look how they have been looked after. If it’s loooking a bit trashed walk away. But even a good car can break for a simple reason. Good servicing and maintenance is key to a good experience.

Post #493336 23rd Oct 2018 9:19am
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

What a refreshing change this thread this is even despite some still finding the time to be negative Evil or Very Mad )

The 4.4 8 speed is a total joy and the power is awesome for such a big car.

MD and Indie services have been faultless.

Touch wood I have never had a real serious issue with mine the most was the usual adaptive susension fault.- long may they reign.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #493400 23rd Oct 2018 9:27pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

My first was an early 322 with 4.4 petrol BMW lump. Awesome car - could do everything - but hopelessly unreliable, always had something wrong with it - usually electronic/electrical that I could live with but occasional showstoppers. Still kept it four years and much enjoyed despite the expense and inconvenience. Moved on to a the 4.2 SC Jag lump. Really awesome car could do everything better and faster. Didn't put a foot wrong in 5 years - I loved that car! Moved on to one of the last 5.0 SC ABs coming up two years ago. A really really awesome car! Better and faster still and has survived unscathed up 'til now. The evidence suggests to me if you can find a good one it could be very good....but there are some Friday cars out there that probably need avoiding.

Experience of the Dealer network is very mixed. They are all "front of house" and nice enough places to wander about and have a coffee. My suspicion is that out the back they employ just one mechanic who knows what they're doing but mostly apprentices and YTS going through "factory training". These guys can plug the computer in and replace the sub assemblies it tells them to replace. If the computer says its not broken then they argue its not broken even if you take them for a test drive and demonstrate. They appear to have very little diagnostic ability of their own and are too proud or lazy or disinterested (or something) to read up on the various Fora (like fullfatrr) to find out solutions to well know problems that they say don't exist. If you can find a good one, indies can be really good...but your courtesy car if they have one will be a 10 year old pug recently rescued from duty as a skip. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #493420 23rd Oct 2018 11:26pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I thought this was supposed to be a POSITIVE thread. Plenty of other places round here to vent about MD's.

"My suspicion is that out the back they employ just one mechanic who knows what they're doing but mostly apprentices and YTS going through "factory training". These guys can plug the computer in and replace the sub assemblies it tells them to replace. If the computer says its not broken then they argue its not broken even if you take them for a test drive and demonstrate. They appear to have very little diagnostic ability of their own"

As a Father of LR Apprentice / Techie.... with respect Sir your suspicions can not be any more wrong. Its not bias, its experience first hand. My Sons mentors have forgotten more than many of us here know about these cars. If they are as so incorrectly described by many - how do so many make a decent living after setting up as Indies or why do so many Indies recruit them after MD training. 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #493450 24th Oct 2018 12:19pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Just on workshop staff, when I had a buzzing from the dashboard of my first 322 the dealer foreman travelled with me for some distance to hear what I was complaining about, then the dash was dismantled, the misbuild located and the problem cured. Dealers vary, but maybe there is a risk of blaming them unfairly for problems that originated at LR, or LR's suppliers. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #493451 24th Oct 2018 12:43pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I have owned 2 FFRRs so far, my 2007 VSE was a revelation after many cars over my 30 odd years of driving. I have had jeeps from america, russia and japan , sports cars from Italy , france and japan, and the uk, executive cars from england , japan, and germany and nothing came close to the feeling an FFRR gives you. During floods a couple of years ago , a flooded road had halted the progress of over fifty odd cars and i was able to drive along the other side of the road , raise the suspension and calmly, stylishly, wade through the flood.

My 2007 did have issues and some expense but was used daily with an milage of about 600- 1000 kms. I traded it for a 2011 VSE and while the 2011 is an improvement the 2007 certainly wasnt outclassed. I have covered just over 30000 kms in my 2011 VSE with no real issues. During the snow it gave fantastic security on every trip and is as happy bumbling along at traffic speeds or 220+ kph. My only real moan is the traction control cuts in way too early during spirited cornering but that's something thats not life changing.

My worry is when i have to change, I think the L405 doesnt have the same presence as the L322 and the interior is a big step back. Saying that , a Loire blue 4.4 Sdv8 with dark wood and cream interior will help the transition Thumbs Up just my humble opinion 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #493458 24th Oct 2018 12:56pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

ajac8 wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be a POSITIVE thread.
...My Sons mentors have forgotten more than many of us here know about these cars.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. I couldn't have been more positive about the cars themselves - for the money I really don't think that there is anything better. I've only experienced three MDs first hand so may just have been unlucky. As long as your son doesn't work for Stratstone Solihull (who behaved criminally on my first 322) ...I'd be interested to know where these fonts of knowledge are to take my car to for service and repair. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #493520 24th Oct 2018 11:17pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I started this post planning to be positive as I felt quite smug that I’ve had my 2011 TDV8 for more than 2 years and still think it’s a great car, vastly better than the 4.2SC which I rejected eventually and my 3.6 TDV8 which cost me many thousands in repairs.
Trouble is once I start to think about it I can’t find much positive to say, mine has already had the turbo drain mod, new rain sensor, countless suspension components that have failed and a new tailgate because it had rusted. How (after nearly 50 years of making these things) have Landrover not solved this problem? This reminded me of the number of rusty tailgates I saw on 4 & 5 year old cars when I was searching for the car I have now. This in turn reminded me of the reaction of the main dealers who all refused to replace tailgates offering to “fix” the rust instead.
On the subject of franchised dealers I’ve never received anything even approaching acceptable service at any department of any main dealers with the notable exception of Dan at Duckworths who has always delivered amazing service.
It’s sad that I can’t be positive and even sadder that for some inexplicable reason I’ll probably still buy another one.

Post #493553 25th Oct 2018 1:46pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I hear your pain and have to agree. The purchase of my FF was completely ruined by the dealership due to their cowboy antics. It took 5 months to get everything sorted out and took a huge amount of effort from me. It’s a shame because I wanted no more than I’d already been promised and the desperation of being lied to until the 30 day return period had ended and then being told they wouldn’t be sorting with anyone but a dent doctor type firm. I’m glad I stuck to my guns but feel cheated of the fun of purchasing my dream car. The car is totally amazing of course.

Post #493557 25th Oct 2018 2:53pm
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Please forgive me - I wanted this thread to give me some feeling that there are many positives to FFRR ownership - I fully understand that there is always black and white to the experience, but Ive read more than enough about the darker parts, just wanted some rays of sunshine, however rose-tinted, to shine through! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(I could share my own L322 experiences which were much the same as everyone else's and ended with head gasket failure, rust, and no infotainment functioning, but I'm really wanting to think of my glass as half-full, not half-empty)

Post #493564 25th Oct 2018 3:59pm
Lavazza

United Kingdom 

Echo that sentiment, given I collect my 2012 FFRR Westminster on Saturday!

Post #493569 25th Oct 2018 5:02pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I really wanted my post to be positive as I genuinely felt that I’ve got a “good one”, it was only as I thought about the things that have failed on mine that it dawned on me just how much some of us long time owners have been conditioned to accept as normal.
The unfortunate reality could well be that there isn’t as much to be positive about as we would like

Post #493571 25th Oct 2018 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>