Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 2004 4.4 Trans Fail Safe fault locked in 4th gear fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
spgmcb

Sorry to jump on an old thread but I'm looking at carrying out the same oil service and sump change on my gearbox but can't have it on the garage ramp for three days waiting for the solenoid to be tested.

RR Phil is your kind offer still there to buy second hand-tested solenoid from you, I intend to test my solenoid as per your video but I would like some available to swap should I find any have failed, will send back if mine are ok. Initially, I had no errors but reduced gears, recently I have had P0783, have PM you RRPhil, thanks it's a 55 plate 4.2 V8 SC

Post #523551 2nd Aug 2019 2:19am
jm1489

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Hi, just signed up, same problems on my gearbox but showing solenoid shift c. Grateful for any info or a solenoid? James[/b]

Post #536779 9th Dec 2019 2:47pm
Hrmn

Netherlands 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

RRPhil, was the solenoid of Knightrider faulty?
Because Knightrider also changed the oil-cooler.
At what place the gearbox oil temperature is measured?
I’m still not driving this great car because of this problem.
Could it be a problem of not enough Voltage?

Post #536829 9th Dec 2019 8:47pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The MV (Magnetventil) solenoids (there are 3 of them in the 5HP24) are simple on-off solenoids, and you wouldn’t imagine that there’s very much to go wrong with them.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When activated, the coil magnetically pulls the plate containing the ball valve against the return spring to uncover the central feed hole and allow pressure to be distributed out through the bottom two holes to the RG-V valve, while simultaneously sealing off the exhaust port which runs up through the centre of the core and out of the top of the solenoid. With the solenoid de-activated, the return spring forces the ball valve back down to seal off the feed hole and allow the two holes at the bottom to vent through the exhaust, thereby depressurising the RG-V valve.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When I tested Knightrider’s solenoid at room temperature it opened and closed exactly as it should i.e. opening at a current of 220mA and closing at 80mA at 12V. However, I don’t have the facility to test solenoids at their normal operating temperature (around 100°C) and I suspect this is where the problem lies.

The fluid temperature (PTC) sensor is incorporated into the internal wiring loom.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Post #536974 11th Dec 2019 1:59am
Willfen57

United Kingdom 

Hi guys does any one know where I can buy a shift solenoid for my 4.4v8 many thanks

Post #566986 13th Sep 2020 11:15am
DarrenS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi All, Forgive me for jumping in but hope I can benefit from your experience.
I had a 2010 L322 from 30 - 100k miles and it was maintained perfectly at LR and not stressed, no towing.
Sold it to a buddy who has done the same but at 135k miles it has developed a fault. Intermittently it seems to skip 3rd gear going from 2nd to 4th with a bang! Is this likely to be major or do the intermittent symptoms suggest electrical (solenoid perhaps) ?
Really grateful for you to share your thoughts please

thanks
D

Post #584307 18th Feb 2021 3:25pm
jm1489

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Just to give a long overdue update..... a year on and the gearbox is still behaving as it should. Solenoid change cured the "trans failsafe" issue. So if you have an early L322 4.4 V8 petrol and get the dreaded bong plus limp mode locked in 4th, after reading the fault codes it could just be a £20 solenoid which are easy to replace. Just don't make the first mistake I made which was not taking into account working on my back and so instructions were in reverse! I took A solenoid out instead of C... doh! Bit of head scratching until I realised.

Post #585208 25th Feb 2021 2:56pm
PhilinBulgaria

Bulgaria 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Epsom Green

Hello all, I am a complete newbie living the dream in rural Bulgaria, bought a 2003 L322 diesel (Italy import) and have a problem in so much as:
Recently it just stuck in a gear guessing 4 or 5 and by the time I limped it to a friends (maybe 5-10mins) I could smell a burning smell inside the cab which alarmed me.

I explained this to a mechanic and he was sayin he'll have to strip and repair the whole unit for about 1500 to 2000 euros as they are infamous for having to rebuild them!

Now after reading this maybe there's a glimmer of hope, but no one has mentioned the burning smell, or maybe I am being to optimistic. I haven't got a tool to check the codes and the previous owner disengaged the bong, which has led to numerous battery discharges leaving the lights on so dont even know if it just tripped into limp mode gear.

No I am not a mechanic, but also don't want to get ripped off so if anyone can give me a little bit of advice it would be so much appreciated.

AS you can see I am in the middle of nowhere and now minus a Range Rover Sad

Post #590261 4th Apr 2021 8:02pm
PhilinBulgaria

Bulgaria 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Epsom Green

Hello all, I am a complete newbie living the dream in rural Bulgaria, bought a 2003 L322 diesel (Italy import) and have a problem in so much as:
Recently it just stuck in a gear guessing 4 or 5 and by the time I limped it to a friends (maybe 5-10mins) I could smell a burning smell inside the cab which alarmed me.

I explained this to a mechanic and he was sayin he'll have to strip and repair the whole unit for about 1500 to 2000 euros as they are infamous for having to rebuild them!

Now after reading this maybe there's a glimmer of hope, but no one has mentioned the burning smell, or maybe I am being to optimistic. I haven't got a tool to check the codes and the previous owner disengaged the bong, which has led to numerous battery discharges leaving the lights on so dont even know if it just tripped into limp mode gear.

No I am not a mechanic, but also don't want to get ripped off so if anyone can give me a little bit of advice it would be so much appreciated.

AS you can see I am in the middle of nowhere and now minus a Range Rover Sad

Post #590262 4th Apr 2021 8:02pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The earlier posts above refer to the ZF 5HP24 transmission fitted to the petrol models with the BMW M62 4.4 V8 engine. Your 3.0 TD6 diesel uses the GM 5L40-E transmission which is infamous for its unreliability once over 80,000 miles. Wear in the valve blocks creates leaks in the internal hydraulics which reduces pressures, causing the friction elements to slip – particularly the torque converter lock-up clutch, which wears through to the metal and deposits swarf into the sump. The first thing to check, therefore, is whether you have ‘glitter’ in your sump/fluid. Unfortunately, a complete rebuild is then inevitable. The fact that you could smell burning obviously doesn’t bode well.

Phil

Post #590608 7th Apr 2021 6:35pm
khyber

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Hi RRPhil,

I have a 2004 L322 with BMW M62 and ZF5HP24 transmission. I am getting the P0751 'Shift Solenoid A' OBD message and the car goes in to Transmission failsafe mode. I have experienced different behavior when it goes into that mode. Sometimes there is a noticeable thump and sometimes there isn't. I can clear the code and car drives fine for few miles before this happens again.

I talked to a shop and they suggested that I probably need to replace all the solenoids. Not sure if that is the issue since the noticeable thump leads me to believe that it is something mechanical. The car does drive fine in failsafe mode but avoid lower gears and the 5th.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Post #645661 15th Oct 2022 2:00am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I wondered if you had access to a multimeter so that you could check the resistance between pins 8 & 16 at the 16-pin plug at the back of the transmission? The MV1 (or SV1) solenoid should produce a reading of around 27-28Ω but the DTC is indicating an open circuit. To be honest, this is more likely to be an issue with the internal wiring harness than the solenoid.

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Post #645752 16th Oct 2022 12:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123