Home > General > TDV8 or 5.0l Petrol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jonlewis

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
TDV8 or 5.0l Petrol

Hi

Thinking about getting back into FFRR ownership after a ‘variable’ ownership experience of a 3.6TDV8 Vogue a few years ago.

Given fuel is not a major consideration, does anyone have any particular views of reliability or maintenance comparisons between the two engine options. Thinking lateish L322 as the 405 is still a little rich on purchase cost.

Jon 2011 Stornaway Grey 5.0SC Autobiography

Post #493791 27th Oct 2018 5:55pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Much discussed.

If fuel isn’t the consideration then drive both and make a descision. Personally I love my 4.4tdv8. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #493802 27th Oct 2018 8:10pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

5.0's will come as AB's so you'll have all the toys and the engines will be a bit quieter but will only have the 6 speed box ....4.4 tdv8's are more economic to run and have more toque and come with a 8 speed box..

as said above its been muchly discussed , look down the threads in this section....

Post #493806 27th Oct 2018 8:17pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic30819.html
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic40404.html

etc.....

Post #493815 27th Oct 2018 8:43pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I got a 5.0L SC off another member on here, it actually doesn't have a lot of toys but boy does it have a lot of leather and I love it. I will also miss the performance as I think my next FFRR (yes there will be one) will be a diesel simply because although I can afford it I don't like keep putting fuel in - its a real ball ache. Running and servicing costs I expect, although high, will probably be about the same.

That being said I'm sure if I do get a diesel I'll miss it Very Happy Geoff

Post #493816 27th Oct 2018 9:18pm
jonlewis

Thanks all... a bit of a conundrum having read the links.

My biggest issue on the 3.6TDV8 was battery drain which we never fully got to the bottom of, but I learnt that short diesel FFRR journeys were not always a good idea. Did that improve with the 4.4 ?

Driving both is a bit of a pain as main dealers don’t have them anymore, and I always hate to use private sales as speculative. There are both available in the For Sale section in here, but neither is exactly next door unfortunately.

Post #493851 28th Oct 2018 10:17am
northernmonkeyjones

where in the UK are you? Somewhere like the Voguecentre has both in stock, so might be with a trip even if to just get an idea. they have been discussed before as dealers somewhere on here, and ive not bought from them, just a thought if you wanted to try back to back. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #493857 28th Oct 2018 11:03am
jonlewis

I am in Manchester and they seem to be just down the road in Oldham, so will go and visit them tomorrow.

Thanks for the pointer 2011 Stornaway Grey 5.0SC Autobiography

Post #493885 28th Oct 2018 2:44pm
northernmonkeyjones

👍🏻 There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #493904 28th Oct 2018 4:53pm
smitht2

United Kingdom 

I was there yesterday, and they've a LOAD of RR's!!! Strange place really, as in some respects they're like a small car dealer you might expect to be selling £5-10k cars, but they've this huge stock of RR's !! Very open and down to earth, but IMHO some of the cars need fettling to meet the standard you might expect from a business selling RR's.

Post #493927 28th Oct 2018 7:15pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The LR website has a section on petrol or diesel which might be useful. Much depends on where/how you will be driving. Short stop-start journeys won't be great for the diesel. Long journeys with steady sections in the 50 - 70 mph range will suit the diesel, as that cleans the DPF, and it's also useful to get the revs above 2,500 most journeys to work the second turbo. Again the diesel is better if you do lots of towing, especially of heavy loads.

The 5.0SC would be better if you do lots of short journeys and stop-start and don't tow much, assuming you can live with the fuel cost and frequent visits to the filing station (or indeed if you just like petrol engines).

Depending on where you live there may be regulations which exclude or penalise diesels entering certain places, including those which differentiate between Euro 5 cars like the 322 and Euro 6 (65 reg 405s onwards) Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #493932 28th Oct 2018 7:35pm
jonlewis

smitht2 wrote:
I was there yesterday, and they've a LOAD of RR's!!! Strange place really, as in some respects they're like a small car dealer you might expect to be selling £5-10k cars, but they've this huge stock of RR's !! Very open and down to earth, but IMHO some of the cars need fettling to meet the standard you might expect from a business selling RR's.

Went down there today and it is a bit special isn’t it Smile

Unfortunately they didn’t have the right thing for me, but they certainly had some of the less obvious color combinations. I think I am narrowing down my requirements now to either engine, Autobiography, but sub-50k-60k miles.

Ideally grey with ivory or Black.

Post #494051 29th Oct 2018 6:09pm
Sabbsy

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

In terms of the TDV8 how much is it to replace turbo's etc? whats the main issues with the 5.0?

Post #495888 18th Nov 2018 1:27pm
AndrewM

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just to keep this post going...
I, too, am looking at buying a late 5.0 SC & P/Ex my 2010 TDV8.

There are so many posts on this subject & unfortunately I am not that wealthy enough to automatically buy a 5.0 SC, without doing some homework 1st.

And there's the clue in what is best to own?...Its all down to cost, as the 5.0 SC is always fully loaded & from what I read, faster and alot smoother....so clearly the BETTER RR to go for, surely?

When I first purchased my 2009 (2010 model) TDV8 3 years ago with 59,000 miles on the clock, it was the "one" to go for. It had the 2010 facelift, a not too high mileage (1 thought?) and the right price at just £23,000 (reduced from nearly £26,000).

However; After owning it for just a few months; The alternator went..Then the battery went...Then the Turbo hoses failed....And then the EGR's!

In addition; Relatively short journeys show an mpg ranging from around 20 - 25.5....with the exception of driving down to Cornwall (I live in Surrey) & it produced an mpg of 32.5 (fully loaded with luggage, kids & dogs!)

Through luck (& 2nd hand cost at the time); Had I gone for a later 4.4...I would ALSO be seeing problems with the DPF, which my colleague at work has had issues with!....& he was quoted £thousands, as the exhaust system, he tells me, is one sealed unit & so he had to get a local garage to cut it up to get to the DPF that he then "cooked" & cleaned up, before then re-assembling the exhaust system - which can at least now be taken apart again, if it goes wrong again!
The TDV8 doesn't have a DPF....luckily!....& has to be one of its better re-sale qualities

So; In final summary & what my thoughts are on this subject;....

Although the TDV8 does around 1/3 better economy; Petrol is now approx. 10p cheaper / gallon than diesel - But still gonna be dearer to use in the year than the diesel..
But; The REAL cost difference is the things that have gone wrong with a TDV8 that wouldn't have occurred with a 5.0 SC - I.E :-

Turbo hoses
EGR's
DPF's
And finally;....Replacing the dreaded Turbos! (NOT cheap!)

So; Apart from the usual electrical gremlins, rust...& god-forbid the SC actually going, I see a lot less to go wrong on the 5.0 SC than the TDV8 and the money saved in not repairing "diesel items going wrong on a TDV8" easily out weigh the additional cost in fuel.

I have also noticed an increase in prices against the TDV8 recently (more to do with people going against diesels, perhaps)...And I also think a low owner, late registered L322 5.0 SC will be the one to go for in 10 years time , as a true collectors item...Being the "last & purest" of the L322 breed.

Post #496291 22nd Nov 2018 2:51pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I've not quite had my 2011 5.0 S/C a year, but no issues so far.

The main 5.0 S/C specific things to be aware of seem to the the (plastic) timing chain guides (subject of a TSB). Replacing them with the later metal components is completely possible but involves taking apart the front of the vehicle, so pretty costly. If they do disintegrate and you keep driving, then even more costly to repair (i.e. engine rebuild/new engine time!). Seems very random/variable is this happens - I've seen some reports of low mileage vehicles being affected, some of medium/high mileage, and plenty of owners of all mileages with no issues!

I've seen some reports of the supercharger itself needing a rebuild, which also isn't cheap, but not as much as the timing guides.

But no EGR, DPF or twin turbos to worry about Smile.

Other issues/problems/parts much the same as any other L322 of the same vintage, and just as likely to go wrong on a 5.0 S/C I guess!

Definitely uses more fuel, but I decided on my fairly limited mileage not a big difference, and I wouldn't be able to own a similar age 4.4 diesel in London for much longer due to tightening emissions rules. I average 22-23mpg my usual mixed journey right through London and down to Dorset, but if you stay city driving, it quickly plummets to 12mpg or less... Single figures is very possible.

There are far less 5,0 S/C's in this country than diesels, and at the moment do seem quite popular, and thus holding prices a touch higher perhaps. As said elsewhere above, they are also typically fairly well loaded with leather and toys as well.

Post #496304 22nd Nov 2018 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>