Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Advise buying 2012 WESTMINSTER 4.4TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ButchersBoy

United Kingdom 
Advise buying 2012 WESTMINSTER 4.4TDV8

Hi, newbie here looking for my first full fat having owned a few sports and currently a Defender 90. So I’m looking for a nice black Westminster TDV8 as much advise as possible in what to look for in these cars. Obviously FMDSH would be a good one! What weak points do these cars have, rust problems, electrical, bushes, when are the big services due? I’ve seen a lovely Over Finch 4.4 TDV8 in black but the milage is 83k would that be a problem on such a big engine - what problems at that milage would I expect to get or service items would need changing ie bushes? The vehicle has 22” wheels do these put extra wear on the care and what difference do they make to the ride quality? So many questions..... Whistle Thumbs Up

Ps. Gary Elliot (site sponsor) has a lovely Westminster for sale. Has any members bought from him and can offer feedback? Do we get a forum discount on his vehicles..... Whistle Rolling with laughter !!

Post #499737 26th Dec 2018 10:57pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Only one piece of advice. Buy Gary’s now before it goes!!

His are by far the best condition of any for private sale, he doesn’t do duds and will look after you if they do go wrong.

On your other points, there is a great wiki guide to buying on the site here.

83,000 on a 4.4 v8 is no mileage at all. If you look at the thread with “what mileage” you will see many with a good six figures going strong.

Rust can be a problem around the wheel arches and the tailgate. (I have never had a problem on any of my 3.)

So, get on the blower to Gaz and get yourself a nice late xmas present. Thumbs Up

Post #499749 27th Dec 2018 8:24am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

In fact, 80k is when they're sorted....

Plenty of buyers advice here, have a search....
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #499750 27th Dec 2018 8:28am
ButchersBoy

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the advice! What mileage and time scale is the 4.4TDV8 services due? Same as the RRS every 15k or 1yr whichever comes first?

Post #499757 27th Dec 2018 9:28am
GavinBell

Romania 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I can vouch for buying from Gary - happy with mine. And from the immortal words to him... I am calling from Romania! He was helpful and supportive throughout the process. Series 2a LWB Hardtop - ex British Aerospace that was then used in an armed robbery! not by me!
2 door V8 1979 Range Rover
A slight Subaru blip..
110 County 200tdi
R reg 300 tdi Discovery Aviemore - gone to a local enthusiast to be resurrected in Transylvania
2003 TD5 Discovery2 - now sold
and the 2 wheeled Range Rover - BMW R 1150GSA

and finally the big lady of my dreams... 2012 Westminster - gives me a smile every morning

Post #499768 27th Dec 2018 12:07pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Have a look at the Baltic Blue list of problems that can affect 4.4 TDV8s via a search on here. Service intervals will be the same. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #499771 27th Dec 2018 12:23pm
ButchersBoy

United Kingdom 

Thanks again for all the reply's Thumbs Up

I have called Gary he isn't about until the weekend so can't view his one until then... Big Cry

I did however go to see a 12 plate Westminster 4.4TDV8 this morning. Black with black leather, 50k on the clock, three owners so it's ticking all the right boxes.. Thumbs Up It had a few faults that I spotted that will need to be sorted (it must all work!!) - here's the short list if anyone can shed some light on how best to sort and cost?

1) The rear parcel shelf has a pin missing on the right hand side so it wobbles a bit giving extra strain on the left pin so I'll need to get a new pin if that's possible?

2) The rear bumper has had a light knock on the sensor so that doesn't work when reverse is selected it does a long beeeeep then nothing when reversing! I'm guessing a new sensor how much would that be to replace?

3) When I selected hot/cold on the front seats I was expecting warm or cold air to be blowing through the seat but nothing? Can somebody shed some light on what is supposed to happen?

4) Rear off-side break warning on dash. On closer inspection I can see the white wire to the sensor which looks as though its not attached. The gut said it needs a new sensor he'd been quoted sixty pounds to fix.

5) Front nearside tyre wants replacing because of excessive wear on outside edge which would suggest tracking is out or needs a four wheel alignment?

Apart from that it was a nice car... Thumbs Up

Post #499791 27th Dec 2018 3:55pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

1.) Rear pins are ~£8 from Duckworths or Ebay, I forget the exact cost, but tiny. Quite hard to get out as it's a very tight interference fit (assuming only a stub is left mainly inside the hole), I ended up using a drill to take enough plastic out to collapse it and extract, but otherwise very easy/cheap to replace.

3.) Assuming they are working correctly, you'd normally hear a fan whirring away once you turn on, and the seat will start to get warm/cool after a couple of minutes. I don't think you feel a huge amount of air coming out the seats if you're just holding your hand over them, so I'd leave on for 5+ mins to confirm if it's working. Loads of threads about cracked ducting and failing Peltier mechanisms on here, but from memory each Peltier unit is ~£250 if they need replacing, and each seat has two of them.

Post #499794 27th Dec 2018 4:10pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

1) The rear parcel shelf
- pins are easily replaced, they break fairly often

2) The rear bumper has had a light knock on the sensor so that doesn't work when reverse -
- this could be more than the sensor, could be the module

3) When I selected hot/cold on the front seats I was expecting warm or cold air to be blowing through the seat but nothing? Can somebody shed some light on what is supposed to happen?
- These can go. Each seat has two units, over £200 a unit so if neither back or base is working on both seats you're looking at around £900 for new units excluding labour.

Rear off-side break warning on dash.
- Not sure

5) Front nearside tyre wants replacing because of excessive wear on outside edge which would suggest tracking is out or needs a four wheel alignment?
- Continentals especially often wear on the outer edge. It doesn't necessarily mean you need alignment.

Is it a private sale or dealer?
If dealer, you can bid your price and say these things need fixing.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #499795 27th Dec 2018 4:17pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Based on the below I would seriously wait for mine. Its lovely nothing but a minor windscreen chip I only noticed yesterday.

Unless its very much cheaper of course

Either way no need to rush and then be disappointied

Gary Thumbs Up

PS: The least I can do is let you see it first.

ButchersBoy wrote:
Thanks again for all the reply's Thumbs Up

I have called Gary he isn't about until the weekend so can't view his one until then... Big Cry

I did however go to see a 12 plate Westminster 4.4TDV8 this morning. Black with black leather, 50k on the clock, three owners so it's ticking all the right boxes.. Thumbs Up It had a few faults that I spotted that will need to be sorted (it must all work!!) - here's the short list if anyone can shed some light on how best to sort and cost?

1) The rear parcel shelf has a pin missing on the right hand side so it wobbles a bit giving extra strain on the left pin so I'll need to get a new pin if that's possible?

2) The rear bumper has had a light knock on the sensor so that doesn't work when reverse is selected it does a long beeeeep then nothing when reversing! I'm guessing a new sensor how much would that be to replace?

4) Rear off-side break warning on dash. On closer inspection I can see the white wire to the sensor which looks as though its not attached. The gut said it needs a new sensor he'd been quoted sixty pounds to fix.

Apart from that it was a nice car... Thumbs Up

Post #499801 27th Dec 2018 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1