Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2007 Sat Nav - long time to find satellites
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
uzp315

2007 Sat Nav - long time to find satellites

Hi all,
I have read many threads but not found an answer yet.
2007 3.6 TDV8 VSE.

When I power off the car for any length of time greater than a few minutes I lose my sat nav signal. This can be charaterised by the following: No GPS icon in top left of screen (the letters GPS with a red line through) and also sometimes over time the nav loses the correct positioning of the car - but not always.

The signal always returns, sometimes within minutes, sometimes it can take nearly an hour and then everything is back to normal.

Battery rests at about 12.3 - 12.4 v. The car starts fine, FBH heater works fine. I suspect my battery is ok.

I have considered trying a cheap after market aerial, but wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issue before hand.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Mark

Post #499772 27th Dec 2018 12:24pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I had a similar issue few years ago, followed by complete loss of signal. In our case the plastic on the roof aerial had gone a little brittle and cracked, water had got in and corrosion had taken hold on the circuit board. Replaced it with a new genuine item and it’s been perfect ever since, I don’t recall it was a expensive part.

Post #499775 27th Dec 2018 12:40pm
uzp315

Hi TJH1985,
thanks, maybe I will try a replacement and see how I get on.

The issue did coincide with Land Rover (Leicester) removing the aerial to respray the roof, but then afterwards LR have been utterly utterly immovable on getting any after sales service. Luckily, the respray that led to the removal of the aerial was paid for by Aviva because Auto-Glass replaced my windscreen and damaged the paint on the roof. Aviva are going to send an engineer to look at the issue.

Quite frankly, I have been appalled at Leicester main dealers. There were scratches all over the paint, a chip in the brand new screen, smears everywhere on glass and paint, the roof trims were not re-fitted properly, and after their work the wind screen wipers smash into the A pillar trim at motorway speeds. I'd expect this level of service from a Porsche main dealer, but had hoped for more from LR. After all they do charge more than Porsche main dealers for thier service.

However, if I can quickly solve this myself, that would be far better than waiting for Aviva.

Post #499777 27th Dec 2018 12:48pm
uzp315

Update. Four drives since Xmas over an hour and 60 miles and no signal at all.

You have to really really really want to own a Range Rover to own one. My current maintenance bill in the first year is somewhere just over the £5k mark on prissy little annoyances, and the fuel bill is similar. That is nearly £18k of anyone's hard earned salary (gross) on fuel and keeping it sweet.

Post #500096 30th Dec 2018 4:36pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

To be fair the current issue is hardly down to the car.
It probably is the aerial too. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #500108 30th Dec 2018 5:43pm
uzp315

Hey Grofus, happy new year to you.
Not sure I was being mean to the car, it was more a reflection on how much you have to really want one to put up with all the constant costs, issues, niggles etc. There are a lot. It would be nice to believe that eventually I will get to the end of the to-do-list, but I am really starting to doubt that. But I am going to try. If it needs fixing, it gets fixed. Thankfully nothing serious, or anything that has left me stranded. On the whole, it is just annoyances with ancillaries and gadgets.

TJH1985 suggested the plastic had become brittle on his aerial. If that has happened to mine to cause this issue, then yes, it is the fault of LR, but one more thing makes little as no difference. Toyota Land Cruisers have a great reputation, I wonder if they go as wrong as often. Not that I want one of them.

Post #500258 1st Jan 2019 4:25pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Happy new year back at ya
I know what you mean. Landcruisers have there faults too and are agricultural in comparison. Lots of farmers have them here.
The RR suffers from more niggly faults because it has way more stuff. Its that simple.
Good luck with it. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #500368 2nd Jan 2019 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1