Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Insurance. When is too much, too much
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Black

England 2018 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
Insurance. When is too much, too much

My 2018 (MY2017) is approaching a year old and LR insurance have written to me saying that renewal is going to be £1,051.77 which is almost £25 more than last year. Given the vehicle has lost a significant amount in first year depreciation and the policy doesn’t cover a brand new replacement (in the case a right off or stolen and not recovered) like it does for the first year I am slightly irritated.

Irritated enough to give a comparison website a look this afternoon to see what might pop up. Slight irritation has turned to a full blown FFS.

I would have had to scroll down a very long way to get anywhere near the grand LRI are asking.

I am of an age when according the television I should be checking my life insurance, talking about equity release and wondering what to do with all the free Parker pens I can claim. All this despite being unable to claim my state pension for another 9 years.

Bearing the above in mind it's come as no surprise that SAGA have started to show an interest in me. What is a surprise is they are offering me what look like identical (excluding the guarantee of using OE parts or a LR loan car) for the princely sum of £515.21. All the inclusions and exclusions are the same apart from the above. I checked very carefully.

The LRI insurance offered is placed with Ageas. Looking at the Ageas offer on the comparison website. They are offering £624.55.

So, back to the title question. When is too much, too much. I can't convince myself that paying twice as much on the off chance of something happening is a sound decision. Especially as my late father used to insure his Volvo with SAGA and when he was hit from behind his car was sent to a Volvo approved repair shop.
What do you guys think?, I'm I missing something or is it just JLR having my pants down….

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer me before I speak to both insurance companies.

Post #508298 11th Mar 2019 5:41pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

If you ever do need to get a vehicle repaired under insurance you get to choose where it goes anyway. Ins companies will encourage you to use their repairer but you don't have to. Cheers

James

Post #508299 11th Mar 2019 5:54pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

That is an awful lot of money for one car, especially going by your post about being contacted by Saga, you are over 50.

Try NFU, I do all my insurances with them. Apart from my 2019 VSE, my wife has a brand new Golf with specified drivers and I also have a Honda CV which I use as a banger (MY2000).

NFU charged me this year £906 for all three! They also have local offices so you get to talk to a real person and build a relationship....just like old times!! Oh, I'm 73 by the way! Big Cry All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #508300 11th Mar 2019 5:55pm
Captain Black

JST wrote:
If you ever do need to get a vehicle repaired under insurance you get to choose where it goes anyway. Ins companies will encourage you to use their repairer but you don't have to.

Thank you James

Post #508303 11th Mar 2019 6:29pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

It does not pay to stick with the same company, when you get a renewal shop around even check out the same company on a comparison web site,
you will find you can get a renewal cheaper with the same company online, I have in the past ask to price match some do some wont but worth a try?

Post #508308 11th Mar 2019 6:52pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

I’ve gone with the recommendations from Aplan over the past few years, site sponsor on here. Worth a call.

Post #508311 11th Mar 2019 6:58pm
Captain Black

Chalky wrote:
That is an awful lot of money for one car, especially going by your post about being contacted by Saga, you are over 50.

Try NFU, I do all my insurances with them. Apart from my 2019 VSE, my wife has a brand new Golf with specified drivers and I also have a Honda CV which I use as a banger (MY2000).

NFU charged me this year £906 for all three! They also have local offices so you get to talk to a real person and build a relationship....just like old times!! Oh, I'm 73 by the way! Big Cry

Thank you Chalky

I am indeed over 50, closer to 60 than 50 unfortunately.

Yes I was thinking it was a bit excessive last year but never having had a Range Rover before I assumed that is the going rate as it wasn’t far away from what a friend of mine has been paying for his Vogue. Although having said that, he lives in Epsom and we live in rural North Cambridgeshire.

My mileage isn’t high, just under 8k since 2nd April 2018. Maybe, it's because it's covered for business use? I work as a consultant and also have a commercial property rental business.

I'll take a look at NFU but they were expensive for our tractor and associated grass cutting equipment.

Perhaps I'll give LRI a call tomorrow and ask them to explain what they do for the extra, just for the hell of it.

Post #508312 11th Mar 2019 7:00pm
Captain Black

Tinman wrote:
It does not pay to stick with the same company, when you get a renewal shop around even check out the same company on a comparison web site,
you will find you can get a renewal cheaper with the same company online, I have in the past ask to price match some do some wont but worth a try?

Thank you Tinman

Post #508314 11th Mar 2019 7:03pm
Captain Black

Mr Tee wrote:
I’ve gone with the recommendations from Aplan over the past few years, site sponsor on here. Worth a call.

Thank you Mr Tee, I will have a look at them as well.

Post #508316 11th Mar 2019 7:04pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

When NFU did my quote I told them the value was £90k for the VSE, £23k for the Golf and my mileage was 12k pa and they didn't baulk at that so you should be ok with them.

Saying that though, it does seem to matter where you are in the country (I know London is more expensive obviously) All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #508318 11th Mar 2019 7:13pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I just insured mine with the AA of all people, about £270 but that was from a comparison site. I think its a bit of a lottery to be honest and not one where we win Laughing Geoff

Post #508325 11th Mar 2019 8:02pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

According to my father SAGA are prone to offering a lower premium for new customers and then increasing it if you stick with them. He didn't.

I'm about your age and paid around £650 to Privilege for a 2017 MY (but regd Jan 2018) 5.0 SC in Edinburgh, 14,000 miles pa. Over £1000 seems a full price and I'd go elsewhere. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #508326 11th Mar 2019 8:11pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Another vote for NFU. its slightly more than Aviva but the claims process is much simpler for starters you phone your own POC at the local office who is the same person who did your quotes......

NFU are a pleasure to deal with. i have buildings insurance and vehicle policies with them. a real pleasure to deal with. my RR is coming in at £450ish for a 12plate westminster. i am mid 40s. Cheers

James

Post #508346 11th Mar 2019 10:09pm
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

You really won't be getting anything extra for your money. Just check a couple of comparison sites and go with the cheapest quote that you're comfortable with and ticks all your boxes.

Always worth looking as early as possible before renewal, there are significant savings to be made by getting your cover sorted out 21-30 days before required, the longer you leave it the more it goes up.

There are a number of other things you can do to edge it down, mileage, being cleverer with job titles etc, but the biggest reductions will come with comparisons and an early quote.

This is my industry, so if you need any help feel free to PM me Thumbs Up

Post #508403 12th Mar 2019 11:55am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Yep gj88 is right on the money - this is the first time I have started looking early, I normally leave it too late and just take the renewal its always easier but never cheaper. In order to get like for like across a number of comparison sites I also wrote down my parameters i.e. Age, Retired, 10,000 miles, SDP only (no commuting), value of vehicle, only me as driver, protected no claims (I actually think this is probably a waste of money), where vehicle kept, only factory fitted alarms etc, no mods, value of excess, legal protection, courtesy car, accidents and claims etc etc and of course start date and how you will pay. AA had a special offer on so took advantage of that got a good deal, I checked 4 comparison sites 15 minutes tops and saved 100 quid Thumbs Up Once you've found best price always worth giving existing insurer a ring and seeing if they will match. Geoff

Post #508405 12th Mar 2019 12:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>