Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > l322 cost of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White
l322 cost of ownership

did a rough calculation of the ownership costs of my 2010VSE.

had it 5 years, it cost £35,500 and could prob sell it for £10,500 so £25k depreciation.

50k miles @ 20mpg so about £15k on fuel.

servicing and parts etc £4k.

tax & insurance £5k.

so about £50k all in which works out conveniently at £1 / mile.

prob about 60% of that now with much less depreciation but more parts / repairs.

fantastic value as its the best car I've ever owned

Post #500555 4th Jan 2019 10:27pm
TomTdv8

England 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Tonga Green

Worth every penny. On my third RR 👍🏻

Post #500557 4th Jan 2019 10:44pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Good man maths.

My 2010 VSE was pretty similar over 4 years/40k miles. The added bonus was having such a brilliant car.

I also deduct the car allowance the firm pay me, so its even less out of my own pocket.

Post #500571 4th Jan 2019 11:36pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Massive chunk of your calc. stands for any car. So you should break it down, what's the RR costing you over and above a boring car.
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #500572 4th Jan 2019 11:57pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

You think £50k good value in 5 years Shocked Shocked

Post #500579 5th Jan 2019 1:30am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

For RR ownership I am afraid that is cheap - costs depending on mileage for the first 4 to 5 years can now be between £10k to £20k per year factoring in all running costs including depreciation. I wrote a post 18 months ago which covered the true cost in ownership for a L322 TDV8 4.4 VSE - I’ll see if I can find it... The costs of an L405 I am expecting to be much higher due to depreciation - £40k depreciation in 18 months to 2 years is a fact of life for the higher spec models.

Found it - £18k to £20k per year - here you go :-

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45209.html 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #500582 5th Jan 2019 6:33am
dexion7

Yes, I think it's lower because I've done all servicing / repairs myself until recently.

The car was about 3 years old when I got it and I've replaced alternator, battery, top intercooler hoses, two sets of discs plus tyres and oils etc.

Was considering replacing it with l405 but I get attached to cars I've fixed and maintained so decided to keep it and give it a full suspension rebuild done at local indy and cost £2.5k.

I reckon depreciation will be around £1k year now but do have a nagging feeling that it might have a serious breakdown / failure at some point.

Post #500604 5th Jan 2019 11:47am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware of the costs of owning these short of cars and newer cars in general iv got a p38 just sold the wife's D2 and upgraded it to a D3 and my ffrr is a treat to my self for erm no real reason I like V8s and always wanted one. I found a mint factory standard low milage and got it.

I would however cry if my car cost me 50k over 3 years or so.

Next door to me once said they don't know why I don't get a new car like them every 3 years, simple I said.....I own my own cars, look after them and never loose a penny in depreciation because they have lost every penny there ever gonna loose.... Mr. Green

Post #500606 5th Jan 2019 12:15pm
dexion7

so what's the secret of not suffering from depreciation that the rest of the world is unaware of?

Post #500608 5th Jan 2019 12:30pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Simple there isn’t one Very Happy - you merely swap depreciation for repair costs. All cars cost money unfortunately unless it’s an extremely rare classic which wouldn’t be suitable for daily use in any event. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #500612 5th Jan 2019 1:28pm
socialrover

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

Ditto Vogues comments - that is the reality of it .

Post #500632 5th Jan 2019 2:22pm
uzp315

Gsxr1250dave wrote:
Next door to me once said they don't know why I don't get a new car like them every 3 years, simple I said.....I own my own cars, look after them and never loose a penny in depreciation because they have lost every penny there ever gonna loose.... Mr. Green

I could not agree more. I run an old 911 and an old L322. I feel happy I am not contributing to huge CO2 by having a new car every couple of years.

I am hugely happy about not paying tens of thousands in depreciation, and the 911 has not budged in value for about 5 years. making it the cheapest car I have ever owned. I did not expect that Smile

I also think that the manufacturers are propping up their production numbers by supporting and subsidising massive discounts on PCP and leases just to be able to shift the cars - this approach is just doomed to fail and often done through the manufacturers own finance company. Smells like a rat to me especially in light that financial journalists have likened the car finance market to the mortgage market just before the sub-prime calamity. Why would anyone want to be a part of that?

When I had a mortgage during the '00s, the interest rates were between 5 & 8%, that would be catastrophic for most of my mates who think that they are the empitome of uber cool, hip success whilst thinking they are swanking around in a new Audi S something. I never bother to tell them "hey, everyone has got one, no one owns them and you can only afford it because the car makers are massively over producing and have got to find a way to get their cars out of the showrooms". Essentially people are getting the cars for the cost of the depreciation over the terms of the PCP. At some point there will be a glut of too many new-ish cars and not enough people to buy them. What a fallacy.

At Bruntingthorpe aerodrome, a couple of years back they exteneded the storage areas to accommodate another 200,000 or so cars that were not selling. There are lines and lines and lines of audi, bmw, vw, bentley and all sorts. I think my freind who worked there said that initially they allocated space for 160,000 cars, but that filled up quickly so they set up another area to take the next 200,000. Later on, the manager of my LR body shop told me that their own franchise has stored thousands of cars on another site nearby. So that is nearly over 1/4 a million brand new cars just in one small section of Leicestershire. I cannot see how this is sustainable.

My local land rover dealer also advised me not to get a newer model as they are really unreliable in so many ways, quoting Chinese and Indian cost cutting on components and production (Ok, not their words exactly, but that was the point). One example was "you would be surprised the number of owners that have a brand new RR and having parked it at the airport whilst on hols, get back to a flat battery" - wow that would really annoy me on brand new car.

Cot of ownership on my 2007 3.6 tdv8 over 12 months:

Fuel, £5000
Keeping it in tip top condition £5000
depreciation £2000
Plus tax/MOT etc.

Post #500633 5th Jan 2019 2:24pm
Woofster

Canada 

There is no question that owning an L322 will cost more than owning a basic "regular" common vehicle but as others have said, it's 100% worth it, assuming that it is financially feasible, of course.

To me, it's similar to owning a large luxury home versus a smaller one in the same location. The larger home will require more electricity, more resources, greater taxes, have more features that need upkeep/repair, require more housekeeping, etc. but at the end of the day, if you can afford a nicer larger house in the same area, it really is worth every penny. 2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Post #500639 5th Jan 2019 2:54pm
Joe90

England 

Google Map of Bruntingthorpe Airfield - checkout all the cars - using the runway as well! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #500640 5th Jan 2019 3:03pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Mines cost me a few quid for can cover gaskets so far I did the stat mod for peace of mind to preserve the cooling system I will shortly be doing my front up and lower arms.....that's about it.

The previous owner spent thousands bless him on bad mechanics not doing there job properly Very Happy my gain it won't loose any more money

Post #500642 5th Jan 2019 3:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>