Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Reasons not to buy an X7 please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Nice looking dog Thumbs Up and I now understand the problem. It’s a tricky one for sure.

I used to have The Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Great Britain as a customer. I wonder if they have a shared wealth of information on getting BMD’s in and out of high up boots and overcoming the problems that you have?

Post #500705 5th Jan 2019 10:37pm
Red Merle

Thinking on this some more, I wouldn’t suggest that an untethered 70kg dog would be a safe thing to have in the row of seats behind the children as it might burst through the seat backs in a crash. In the boot, behind a bulkhead would be better.

It’s a long shot, but how about this as a radical solution?:

http://caradaptations.co.uk/adaptations/li...oot-hoists

(You seem to open minded to any new ideas Thumbs Up )

Post #500706 5th Jan 2019 10:50pm
Gold Rover

Regards untethered, I would think any responsible owner would have a harness on their dog, and it secured either to seat belt if on a seat , or to load hooks in boot. Not just for the safety element of not going through your head in a crash, but to keep the dog from running out of the vehicle in same scenario.
The amount of jobs I have gone to with loose dogs is ridiculous. You wouldnt leave your children unrestrained, don't do,it to your dog. Excuse the pun, but it is one of my pet hates, to see a dog loose in a car.
@ op If you have tried behaviourists and it hasn't worked, do you know anyone clever enough to build collapsible steps, in aluminium, which would fit the width of the rear door. Maybe then Mr B wouldn't feel so insecure going up them? Most off the peg ramps and steps aren't the widest because one, space considerations for smaller cars and two, people tend not to think that some dogs don't like the gap at the side of them. It's like asking someone with a fear of heights , to walk up a staircase with no hand rail

Post #500715 6th Jan 2019 12:34am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
The amount of jobs I have gone to with loose dogs is ridiculous

Assuming because of the context you mean loose dogs in cars? What are the jobs? Just curious. Thumbs Up

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #500731 6th Jan 2019 9:59am
Merlin dog

United Kingdom 

Certainly a 70 Kg mass needs to be tethered, although at perhaps -15G that is a tonne, and I don't know if the body harness straps are up to that. Given the number of pets in cars, admittedly not all this size, perhaps it is something EuroNCAP needs to start looking at?

I think Golden Rover is correct, the step width is critical. Red Merle also got me thinking with his comments about towing. The lower tailgate with the air suspension in its lowest position is about 75 cm. The dog can easily manage 35 cm.

We brought back from the US a carrier that isn't often seen in Europe. It is s basket that attaches via the towing hitch, and can be flipped up when not in use. It wouldn't be too difficult to substitute the basket for a step. It would however have to be quite deep to protrude sufficiently beyond the lower tailgate, so would look pretty ungainly.

What would be perfect would be a motorised slide out step, possible welded to the hitch, a bit like the viewing platform on the Vision concept. Does anyone happen to know if such a thing already exists?

Post #500744 6th Jan 2019 12:55pm
Red Merle

As an aside, I run a receiver hitch on my fatty. They seem very rare here, while the Americans really see to make good use of them with seemingly more attachments than a Swiss Army knife!

Post #500747 6th Jan 2019 1:14pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Biggest reason not to buy an X7 is because they’re completely hideous.

Post #500750 6th Jan 2019 1:47pm
Gold Rover

Merlin dog wrote:
Certainly a 70 Kg mass needs to be tethered, although at perhaps -15G that is a tonne, and I don't know if the body harness straps are up to that. Given the number of pets in cars, admittedly not all this size, perhaps it is something EuroNCAP needs to start looking at?

I think Golden Rover is correct, the step width is critical. Red Merle also got me thinking with his comments about towing. The lower tailgate with the air suspension in its lowest position is about 75 cm. The dog can easily manage 35 cm.

We brought back from the US a carrier that isn't often seen in Europe. It is s basket that attaches via the towing hitch, and can be flipped up when not in use. It wouldn't be too difficult to substitute the basket for a step. It would however have to be quite deep to protrude sufficiently beyond the lower tailgate, so would look pretty ungainly.

What would be perfect would be a motorised slide out step, possible welded to the hitch, a bit like t(he viewing platform on the Vision concept. Does anyone happen to know if such a thing already exists?

One of my previous dogs , whilst not as heavy as yours, was no lightweight. At 46kg of muscle, she was small person size and I can happily say, in the event of a 60mph emergency stop, the harness, she was wearing showed no ill effects and the combination of it and seat belt anchor did their job.. Perhaps you could contact the companies that make them and ask what the tolerances are?
I hope you find an answer to the issue of getting Mr B safely into the vehicle.

Post #500751 6th Jan 2019 1:57pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

What was wrong with the Discovery? Middle row seats seem a bit upright in this one, but there can’t be any other 4x4 as practical for a family/dog van.

Post #500752 6th Jan 2019 1:58pm
Merlin dog

United Kingdom 

I’m not sure I would offer up the Discovery in a beauty contest against the X7! The rear of the X7 is much better resolved to my eyes Perhaps if you welded the front of the Disco to the back half of the X7 you would have something less challenging.

As per the previous post, the problem with the Discovery 5 and the XC90 is that the second row seating doesn’t move forward sufficiently for a large dog to get into the third row. I have never set eyes on the X7 in the flesh but You Tube opinion seems to be that access to the X7 and space in the back is superior to anything else out there. Anyway, the mutt and I had a go at the Discovery, and it is a non-starter. To be honest, I thought some of the detailing was poor and some of the design elements a bit cliched.

Challenging as the nose of the X7 is, it isn’t going to be confused with an X5 - something that can’t be said for the current LR range. The interior of the higher spec X5’s are actually quite nice, and although the screen based switches look great in the RR, I do wonder if it will drive me crackers. Normal fingerprints are probably bad enough. Little fingers covered in yogurt and chocolate are exponentially worse.

All that said, if I had some reassurance that a 7 seat RR was in the near future, I’d tough it out, especially if this hitch step idea works. I sat in my first RR in 1971, and haven’t really sat anywhere since. Not getting treated like an inconvenient irritation by the dealer might make a nice change, though.

Post #500770 6th Jan 2019 5:22pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hitch step is going to be a push with the lower tailgate.

If he's OK with steps then what about 2 of these - leave one intact at 49cm and hack the legs shorter on another to make it 25 and they should fit in the boot when folded ?

or even this as the first step ?

Post #500771 6th Jan 2019 5:55pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

How about this?

Post #500807 6th Jan 2019 11:21pm
Merlin dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks Emperor Mong. That looks like just the thing. Even if it ends up being a little narrow, a wider step is an easy fabrication. I'll let you all know how we get on. Very grateful for all the ideas.

Post #500867 7th Jan 2019 5:00pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I have a 32kg Golden Retriever who has decided that he is too old (9yo) to jump into the car anymore. I lift him in and out. Not very dignified.

Post #500881 7th Jan 2019 7:21pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

My Lab is similar. He puts his front feet on the tailgate and looks round at me to lift the rest in. He can jump it but can't be bothered. I'm sure he's laughing at me!

Post #500912 8th Jan 2019 10:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>