Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 front strut
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
A.Pires

Portugal 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
L322 front strut

It seems that one of mine L322 front strut have some internal problems due to the noise it makes as hiting road imperfections.
Has Someone replaced the internal componentes of the strut? Components between the shock and the air bag like, washers, o'rings etc etc?
If so, I would be pleased to have some indication in what type etc.
Cheers

Post #501004 9th Jan 2019 2:37pm
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

Ive just replaced the airbag only, i used a delphi part from island 4x4 comes with new orange and black o rings.

What are you trying to replace the air spring?

Post #501015 9th Jan 2019 5:35pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

most noises at the front are caused by drop links or ball joints - check those first.

however, that looks like an Arnott strut and unfortunately they have a terrible reputation for precisely the problem that you describe.

it seems that they pass off struts as "refurbished" when all they have done is spray it, put a sticker on and fit a new air spring on the top.

on another range rover forum there were so many posts about thier "refurbished" struts failing that the admins challenged Arnott (who, ironically are actually a site sponsor of that site) to be clear and transparent about what they did to refurbish the struts. Arnott didn't come out of the challenge very well.

you can buy a cheapo strut with bag on of ebay and try that to see if the noise dissapears. many on here don't trust them but changing the strut is 30 minute job all in (once you get the bastard bolts out) and it would at least confim where the noise is coming from

Post #501017 9th Jan 2019 5:41pm
Snowy90 L322

This was my earlier thread
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic49458.html

and this was the part,
https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spring-front-...34328.html

if you suspect the shock itself then its best just to replace the whole strut far less messing about and not that much more money, but you will have to replace them in pairs as with any shock replacement.

Post #501018 9th Jan 2019 5:43pm
Snowy90 L322

second what dexio says, i cant see why the actual strut would cause banging, most likley drop link or ball joints.

Good spot on arnott too, i would go back to Delphi which are the same as genuine i believe.

Post #501019 9th Jan 2019 5:45pm
dexion7

i forgot to say that I've recently removed the air spring off a strut and cut it open.

difficult to see that anything in the air spring can cause a noise as the only moving part in is the bearing at the top which allows the whole spring+ damper to move relative to the top mounting section and you would feel any movement in that when the spring is still fitted to the strut body.

Post #501020 9th Jan 2019 5:51pm
A.Pires

Some months ago I've replaced all the suspension arms, ball joints and sway bar links. The noise appears to be from the suspension strut its like a discharged or faulty shock. On the anual inspection (your MOT) wich where in December, the technician (correct name?) told me that he found nothing wrong.
The pictures attached are not from me but only for reference.
I found this on Aliexpress (picture attached).
If the problem concerns to these parts damaged I will order

Post #501030 9th Jan 2019 7:19pm
dexion7

in the picture above the big metal circular part is the stop for the upper part of the yellow bump stop. the other parts are only concerned with keeping the air in the bag so nothing in the picture will cause a noise you can hear.

if the picture is not YOUR strut, have you actually dissasembled YOUR strut? if you do, and there is a problem within the strut I would guess that you would be able to feel free movement in the damper part even without removing the air spring.

in my case i had an indy fit all front new parts (except struts) to my 2010 which had no noises to start with and then it DID have a clonk on bad potholes. the cause was a poor qaulity new ball joint (Moog).

when i took it back to the indy to fix the clonk noise, we struggled to find a suitable pothole for him to experience it. when he did eventually hear it he had no reason to suspect any of the new parts he had just fitted and so changed the strut which obviously didn't help.

the point is that if the roads around my driving location were smooth like where the indy is based I would not have noticed a clonk after the new parts were fitted and perhaps only experienced it some time (months or even years) later whilst driving in a different location on worse quality roads. perhaps i would think "oh well, it can't be the ball joints as I recently replaced them".

if a new ball joint has a clonk immediatey after fitting it seems entirely possible that a new one can become loose shortly after. did you fit good quality ones or Censored like moog?

Post #501037 9th Jan 2019 8:17pm
A.Pires

Hi Dexion

The ball joints I've fitted where from ebay. A set which includes the upper the lower arms and the ball joints both sides. As it where a good price and I supposed that the material are all the same, and the seller had a good feedback, wrong bet probably.
129,95£ all at Lr trade parts UK.
Now what brand you advice me please?
Cheers

Post #501120 10th Jan 2019 2:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1