Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Hardly any 5.0 S/C ABs out there
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 
Hardly any 5.0 S/C ABs out there

I am looking for a 2018 model 5.0 S/C AB SWB. Cant see much if anything at all out there. IN fact there hardly seems any 2018 models available. Are they not popular? Dealers never seem to have them as demos either. After 2 x 4.4 Diesels I am keen to go back to petrol , last was a 4.2 S/C which almost broke me Very Happy I am told the 5.0 is not as thirsty. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

1972 Suffix A fully restored 2 door

1970, chassis number 26 the first of the press launch cars, Masai Red

2013 4.4SDV8 Autobiograpahy

Post #499360 21st Dec 2018 6:40pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

just found 6 on ebay ..not sure if they are AB's though..

Post #499362 21st Dec 2018 6:53pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Autotrader have some....

Certainly less big cars ex demo on sale than a year ago

Good luck Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #499367 21st Dec 2018 7:05pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Here’s one... bargain., ... Mr. Green

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1

Post #499370 21st Dec 2018 7:37pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

I checked E Bay. One blue one that doesn't really fit the bill spec wise, and a body kitted Carlos Fandango thing, which is not my sort of Range Rover at all. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #499371 21st Dec 2018 7:40pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Great choice, but I wouldn't hope for too much more economy with the 5.0 S/C either?!

I have an L322 5.0 S/C which yes, is a bit better mpg-wise than the previous 4.2 S/C, but there's not a huge amount in it if fuel usage is a factor.

The L405 will have the 8 speed box though, and comes in a chunk lighter, so might manage another 1 mpg...!

Having said that, I certainly love mine, and no plans to go back to diesel for my current usage.

Post #499379 21st Dec 2018 9:01pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

thanks Paul. My motoring is very different to how it was a few years back and I use other cars quite a bit so the mileage is less important now. That said the 4.2 S/C was the only car that consumed fuel when it was switched off! Parked with just under 1/4 tank and started the next morning with the orange light on and emergency refuel needed immediately. I actually ran out of fuel in that car 4 times having never ran out of fuel in any other car before. We reckon the fuel gauge was to blame. Anyway, with diesels dying a death, whilst I love the 4.4 SDV8, I am beginning to fancy a change back to the petrol engine. I probably should sit still for 6 or 9 months as I am sure the engine offering from LR will change. Diesel sales have fallen off a cliff and PHEV doesn't do the basic job of propelling the car without resorting to a 2.0 petrol engine after a few miles. So, who knows what's going to happen but change is afoot I feel. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #499385 21st Dec 2018 9:37pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Yes, I think with lower usage, the 5.0 S/C makes absolute sense - exactly why I moved from a diesel into one! I love it in the L322, and get reasonable mpg on combined motorway/cross London journeys (~22 mpg), but do a max of 8k miles each year. The economy does still plummet if you sit in traffic, although maybe the L405 has stop/start, not that I'm a big fan of that.

Will be interesting to see what engines are available in the next LR/RR line up, and whether something like the 5.0 S/C will still be available.

Post #499392 21st Dec 2018 10:45pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Hi

Spasmodic thoughts

The fuel consumption on the diesel SDV8 is quite different to the older 2012 model. I estimate it to be about 10/15 %. -

On a long run with camera controlled speeds I achieved 36/38mpg with the SDV8. on a long run with lumpy hills at say 90mph it’s about 29mpg

The difference on mpg tween petrol and diesel will be staggering & the new Euro 6 compliant engines will be allowed most places.

There is also the significant difference in capital cost tween diesel and petrol, especially if you buy a diesel with 500 miles on the clock.

Some people mention that you need to be careful with SDV8 diesel if it’s short runs & I wouldn’t have one if I lived in london

IMHO One day the penny will drop, Old diesel is bad, new diesel is good getting very much better and almost as good as many petrol. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #499394 21st Dec 2018 11:09pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Plenty on pistonheads Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #499395 21st Dec 2018 11:31pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

With hardly any town use, gentle driving style on my Goodyear Duratrac winter tyres and almost only Shell V Power, my 5.0SC was showing an average of 24.8mpg since March when I last looked. That will be an over-estimate as the speedo shows more than actual, but even so. I'm very pleased with mine, but do agree that there are few second hand examples, and those there are can be a bit blingy. It took me a long time to find one, and even then it's not the spec I would have chosen if ordering new.

LR will be working on new engines for when the deal with Ford runs out, the 2.0 4 cyl used in the PHEV is designed to be a building block engine, which can be used with diesel or petrol systems, and so there may be (say) a 4.0 V8 with turbos. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #499423 22nd Dec 2018 2:34pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

Bill
When you say old SDV8 is 10 - 15% different to current. Which way, you dont say. Also, when you refer to the difference between petrol and diesels getting greater again you dont say? and what do you mean by get more places and capital cost.

It appears that you are pushing for the diesels rather than the petrol. I like my SDV8 and its been great, the staggering delay at junction pull out is worse when its cold, the engine takes for ever to heat up, and it still smells of the FBH and vibrates a lot at idle, but its a great engine. I just yearn to go back to a more sophisticated drive train more in keeping with the rest of the car. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #499499 23rd Dec 2018 12:50pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I can imagine the new platform offering a 3.0 ingenium straight 6 with 48V mild hybrid to give it 5.0sc performance.
But then there is a class of customer who will likely demand more cylinders so to compete with Bentley etc they’ll need a V8 petrol, but perhaps that will be reserved for SVO or something and so cost a whopping amount. In short, if a V8 petrol is a must-have I would be inclined to buy now.

Personally, I think a 2.0 PHEV will be plenty for me, I just wish there was more battery capacity and faster charging. That’s what i’ll be hoping for in the new model.

Post #499676 26th Dec 2018 10:41am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Mentioned before, but the V8 will supposedly be a variety of the next BMW 4 litre twin turbo.

Post #499690 26th Dec 2018 2:36pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

vanquishspirit wrote:
Bill
When you say old SDV8 is 10 - 15% different to current. Which way, you dont say. Also, when you refer to the difference between petrol and diesels getting greater again you dont say? and what do you mean by get more places and capital cost.

It appears that you are pushing for the diesels rather than the petrol. I like my SDV8 and its been great, the staggering delay at junction pull out is worse when its cold, the engine takes for ever to heat up, and it still smells of the FBH and vibrates a lot at idle, but its a great engine. I just yearn to go back to a more sophisticated drive train more in keeping with the rest of the car.

Sorry for not being clear, I am not Mrs May Rolling with laughter

Yes happy to push diesel as an option.

The new sdv8 is 10-15 percent better mpg than the old 4L engine

Upto recently a diesel could be bought up to £20k less than a petrol engine ex demo, but as mentioned in another post the gap has /might be narrowing - with less cars on offer.

Goes most places: means a euro6 Diesel engine is permitted into most cities in Europe.

Good luck Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #500104 30th Dec 2018 6:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>