Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Rear Drive Axle Seal replacement L322 RR 2006
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blue Hornet

Australia 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Rear Drive Axle Seal replacement L322 RR 2006

I have a punctured rubber boot at the wheel on the rear axle on my AJV8 2006 that needs to be replaced grease everywhere .

It looks like if i take the axle out I need special tools to replace oil seals and axle at the diff and that means I am forced to take it to the dealer ...... Has anyone removed and replaced the rear axle feeling a bit of despair.

the manual says you need the seal replacement protector inserted before you install the shaft back into the diff does anyone have any experience on how to do DIY

I only have to remove the wheel hub and lift it off the the CV joint and was wondering if it is possible to remove the CV joint on the car without removing the axle that way I may be able to avoid having to go through needing the LR tools to remove and replace axle at the diff. I know you are meant to put the axle in a vice and remove CV and boot so maybe I am dreaming to think about doing on the car.

Any thoughts please
Bruce

Bruce

Post #502054 18th Jan 2019 11:17pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I replaced the axle seals in mine's rear diff without using the special tool. The tool is meant to expand the seal to prevent the outer dust seal lip from turning in but this was not an issue for me. The drive-shafts are stepped to allow the splines to be engaged before the larger diameter for the seal seat gets to the seal. The shaft is correctly aligned and supported before the larger dia section meets the seal.

Unclipping the drive-shaft from the diff requires a lever mechanism or a very strong pull. I opted for the lever mechanism, levering the inner CV's outer casing and pivoting from the sub-frame above the driveshafts.

Post #502061 19th Jan 2019 5:15am
Blue Hornet

Hi Graeme

Thanks so much for your reply I was hoping a mere mortal DIYer had a chance at doing the job without the tool. I noticed you are at Wagga I am at Coffs Harbour, is it hot enough for you. Cool

How did you get your diff seal out without the tool and how do you get the new one back in? Is it a pig of job or pretty straight forward? I am ok at a lot work on the RR but I just didn't want to start and get stuck.

Thanks
Bruce

Post #502182 19th Jan 2019 10:41pm
GraemeS

As far as I can tell, the tool is a single-use cup that fits inside the seal then is broken from around the drive-shaft once the shaft is inserted far enough that the seal will expand onto the shaft seal area. However even the genuine LR seals that I purchased didn't include the fitting tool so I assume that the tool is not required.

The old seal is easily removed using either a hooked seal removal tool or a large screw-driver as I used. However as I was swapping diffs, the seals were fitted to the replacement diff prior to the diff being fitted. Driving the new seal home only required the use of an appropriate size 3/4 drive socket.

The more difficult task was withdrawing the drive-shafts far enough to clear the seals, having only removed the bolt for the top hub bush rather than releasing both bushes.

According to Microcat, your vehicle should have the later style diff which may even be the e-diff version. The later diffs don't have a removable rear cover. My comments are for the later style diff and are applicable to both the standard and e-diff versions.

Yes, its been warm enough here having been around 44-47 far too many days but markedly cooler yesterday and today at around 38.

Post #502185 19th Jan 2019 11:02pm
Blue Hornet

Thanks Graeme

I have attached a couple of photos to compare if mine is the same diff.

I think the axle separates from the number 1 mark does that seem how yours was.

I was going to undo the bottom hub bolt so i can swing the hub back to get enough clearance to remove the axle completely.

So you could pull the axle back far enough with the top camber bolt removed and hub pulled out of the bush, but was it enough clearance to get the axle out without it trying to drag on the seal and potentially trying to do a murphy on the seal?

I did all my rear bushes on the wheel hubs plus tie rod (toe adjusters) and stabiliser links last week which was all good then when I was get an alignment the guys found grease everywhere on one side, turned out i had put a tiny hole on the CV boot on the wheel aahhhhhh Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

We were complaining it was hot over here at 32 but 44-47 wow

Post #502190 20th Jan 2019 12:58am
GraemeS

Yes that looks to be the later drive-shafts and the later open diff. I had to remove the inner joint from the diff because I was fitting an e-diff but you could instead undo the boot clip on the inner joint which would then slide apart, providing that you had another clip or large hose clamp in case you couldn't get the original done up again. When changing a front boot on my son's D4 we couldn't apply enough force to release the inner joint from the diff so disassembled the inner joint instead. It was a bit messy to refit but straight-forward. The inner joint's shaft is retained in the diff by a clip on the drive-shaft that expands into a groove in the diff gear which then requires considerable force to cause it to compress to slide back out along the splines.

I can't remember why I chose to undo the upper bush rather then the lower but 2 of us struggled to pull the drive-shafts out far enough to get clearance to disengage then engage the drive-shafts without damaging the seals. If removing the bolt for the lower bush is easy enough then worst case would be that the top bush bolt also has to be removed.

Post #502191 20th Jan 2019 1:33am
Blue Hornet

Thanks Graeme

When you say undo the boot clip on the inner joint I am not quite sure what you mean that I could do.

What does undoing that clip do.

Post #502193 20th Jan 2019 4:21am
GraemeS

The clip that you identify at arrow 1 can be undone, after which the boot can be pulled back from the joint's outer casing which then allows the drive-shaft to be withdrawn. However the clip is normally pulled tight then bent back over the slot through which the free end passes, side tabs bent over the turned-back end then the excess trimmed. Without the excess the clip may still be able to be pulled tight using pliers, but can be a fiddly task.

Post #502194 20th Jan 2019 6:29am
Blue Hornet

OK thanks Graeme
I am going to attack the job this week so wish me luck Laughing

Post #502195 20th Jan 2019 7:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1