Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > L322 4.4 TDV8 - small daily commute - Potential DPF issues?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jenks

L322 4.4 TDV8 - small daily commute - Potential DPF issues?

Hi Folks,

Been without an RR in my fleet for some time now so popped in again to ask a few questions!

My wife and I have been slowly saving up for a L322 4.4 TDV8. For me I've got to get into this model having had the 3.0 TD6, 3.6 TDV8 and also having used my dads old supercharged a lot too.

The issue I have is we have just bought a house which is basically a 3-4 mile journey from our yard - with speeds of 40-50mph getting achieved on route. So at worse case scenario it will be at most an 8 mile journey if we don't leave the office for the day. TBH this is rare as we can do a bit of driving about mid week collecting vehicles, parts, dropping off drivers, etc

Weekends I hope it will be doing longer journeys for social reasons and potential towing for motorsport duties if I ever get more of this wonderful thing called 'Time'.

But my biggest worry is the small commute could bring up DPF issues? We run a lot of vehicles that thankfully are on the road a lot so I know the issues DPF can bring, however my experience is more age and wear and tear related?

So before I drag this out - do you think I will have issues? - if so anything I can do apart from a good old blast down the bypass? We use a 'Millers Oils diesel cleaner' in some of the vehicles we run so I was going to use this.

The other option is going for the facelift 3.6 TDV8 which I assume is non DPF? But I will probably get annoyed its not the 4.4 everytime I jump into it. Rolling Eyes

I know the supercharged is an option but we do travel down south a lot and, well, I need diesel for 'business' reasons should we say! Wink

Thanks in advance!

Post #502115 19th Jan 2019 2:40pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Jenks Hi.

All I can do is give you my experieince with our '11 4.4TDV8, having had it for 15 months and about 10K.

I've run it regularly to "pop down the shops", a round trip of under 2 miles or 3 miles to the other end of the small town we live in. It gets runs out for fun, being retired, (us not the car) quite regularly, with a couple of trips, one to Pitlochry and the south Sussex area. The DPF yellow light has been on twice, once just after we bought her, then about 5months later, after more short runs than longer. The light cleared in 5miles at 50mph, both times. no other indications. I have a GAP tool and have run the log facility for DPF soot mass. You can see it increasing and then reducing as it should when regenerating. Having that tool may help you in scheduling regen runs, if required.

If you are doing journeys south, that also helps. Lots of info on what to look for when buying, and people on here have huge knowledge, so ask away.

So, my comments, FWIW, are positive, and the grunt and acceleration are massive Shocked Very Happy Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #502122 19th Jan 2019 4:10pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have a commute of 2 miles to work and another 2 back. My problem here in the capital, is that I'm a good 30 Mins from a 50 mph stretch of tarmac. I usually only get on that road on or just before a yellow DPF warning light. So I'm really the worst guy/driving pattern to have a DPF 4.4.

Your driving pattern seems ok to me. You'll be getting it up to 50 often enough - which in short - is what it needs.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #502127 19th Jan 2019 5:11pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

rjff,
I am interested to hear how you use the logged data on your iid to record soot mass.

I check mine regularly just in live values and take it for a good run once it gets over 17.5g.
I do a fair number of stop start short trips, but a 60 mile each way motorway run at least once a month and mine has never triggered the Amber warning.

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #502133 19th Jan 2019 5:48pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I’ve had mine 3 years and done 10k..... never seen the DPF light on, my daily commute is about 4 or 5 mile each way.

I try to spin the second turbo up each time I go out try to get it proper warm on a run when I can.

Get one bought.....

8 speed box is sublime.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #502155 19th Jan 2019 8:42pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Mike (Baltic Blue)

Sorry for the delay in replying, sister in law arrived for a stay. Sad Actually she's fun.

If I read your question correctly, and that's not guaranteed, this is what I do to get a spreadsheet to play with. I too read live values but I've added all the steps before in case anyone is new to the IID and what else I do.

Choose live values and then tested values.
Select your required live values, in my case engine revs and non-continuous soot mass.
Select view, and then start recording by touching the red dot top right.
Stop recording when you so wish, by touching the same spot, it may not have anything showing, but a white square will appear, touch that.
Save log.
Name log
Return to view logs
View log you want
Touch the white envelope
Export the log as a CSV
Send e-mail to yourself.
It arrives as a spreadsheet you open in your preferred software.

If we chat further, should we move it to a new thread to avoid further hijacking of Jenks'? Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #502239 20th Jan 2019 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1