Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Windscreen wipers parking mid screen after wash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lester Burnham

United Kingdom 
Windscreen wipers parking mid screen after wash

My RR has decided to throw several electrical gremlins recently.

Most worrying was the last few days where after washing the screen, on the final wipe (you know, the annoying involuntary one manufacturers dictate you must have these days) the wiper parks at 45 degrees. Sometimes I can send the wipers back to park position by flicking the wipe lever downwards for single wipe. However sometimes they go on for another three wipes and park again at 45 degrees.

I don't know if other functions of the wipers were affected as frankly I was on the motorway at the time and didn't want to try in case of smeared vision at 70mph with all the salt spotting from the roads.

I have done a few internet searches and found this exact problem with a similar age Jaguar whereby the fault was cured with changing 2 relays (R15 (high or low speed) R16 (parking).

A quick trawl through searches on this forum did not find the *exact* same symptoms, but other wiper related problems seemed to be relay driven, although a couple mention wiper internals/parking switches.

Is there any more collective wisdom from members here or are the relays the first thing? 2009 facelift 3.6 TDV8, are they behind the battery?

Last edited by Lester Burnham on 23rd Jan 2019 5:12pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #502500 23rd Jan 2019 9:31am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

When I had my issues, which you prob read, it was inside the wiper motor where it told the ecu it was at the down position that was at fault. Needed new motor. It affected all wiper positions though, in strange ways. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #502531 23rd Jan 2019 3:31pm
Mikey

Scotland 

It will need a new motor. Fairly common for them to do that, unfortunately

Post #502542 23rd Jan 2019 4:43pm
Lester Burnham

United Kingdom 

Balls

Post #502546 23rd Jan 2019 5:17pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

You have to buy it with all the wiper linkage....new anyway...... but you can just put the new motor on your old linkage....

And be left with the new linkage in a box in case you need it later. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #502718 24th Jan 2019 10:44pm
Lester Burnham

United Kingdom 

Ah that sounds a bit less hassle if I find a decent breaker. at least its all not rivetted together.

Funny thing is it works (today anyway). Weather is a bit warmer as opposed to last few which were brass monkeys. Could that have affected it somehow, contraction of contacts or moisture?

Actually the other 2 of my sudden electrical glitches (park brake fault and seat base heater) are all back working again with a couple of degrees more ambient outside....so much for being a snow beast! Laughing

Post #502735 25th Jan 2019 8:35am
Lester Burnham

United Kingdom 

And it's back to doing the same thing...other wipe modes work but taking more sweeps which I presume to be this non-servicable park switch?

Checking the part numbers I see the wiper is shared by BMWs of the same era, and indeed spotted a old 7 series yesterday with an erroneoulsy parked blade. As someone new to RRs I'm noticing a lot of the unreliable bits on these cars can be traced back to supposedly bulletproof German ancestry... Rolling Eyes yet its Land Rover that gets the shtick.

Post #503049 28th Jan 2019 2:43pm
Lester Burnham

United Kingdom 

Just an update in case anyone searches the thread titles (like I did) for dickey wipers.....

Swapped out the old motor and it has indeed fixed the wiper parking issue. Not too bad a job but made fiddly by the need to work at the back of the engine with steps, not something to look forward to if you have a bad back.

I elected to use a second hand part for now (£20 motor only from Ebay) just as cheap diagnosis instead of splurging £200+ on new. If this unit has a finite life I know what to do next time.

One bit of advice I would leave anyone is that if using second hand parts pay the extra for a motor with its linkage still attached. Yes the postage is a few quid more but its so easy on swapping the motors over to lose the correct position of the linkage relative to the motor - ask me how I know! I had a good hour extra fiddling to get that back spot on.

I would also add what a crummy design this is by Valeo and how wasteful to have to replace major related components for the sake of a tiny switch. On other wiper motors the parking switch is often serviceable part, when you consider it must operate millions of times in its lifetime it seems obvious to make it such. Mad

Post #504823 11th Feb 2019 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1