Home > Technical (L405) > L405 SDV8 turbo failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JMDT

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey
L405 SDV8 turbo failure

Anyone had a turbo failure?

My 2 year old 40,000 miles 66 plate SDV8 lost all power rapidly whilst driving on the motorway. Power lost completely in about 15 seconds together with red engine warning sign. Accompanied by squealing and significant engine vibration.

Initial diagnosis is a stalled turbo/turbo failure. Apparently it is about 30 (yes, thirty!) hours of labour alone. Fortunately, still under warranty but this follows a loss of power 9 months ago and the car being off the road for 5 weeks.

Have I just been unlucky?

PS the Land Rover Assistance re onward mobility was very poor. I do at least now have a RRS Autobiography as a loan vehicle. Current: L405 SVAutobiography Dynamic 2018, Defender D240 HSE 2020, Defender 110 Adventure 2015, Defender 90 XS 2012, Lightweight Ser III 1975
Waiting for: L460
Previous: L405 SDV8 Autobiography (2016 x 2, 2015 x1), 110 V8 1989, Discovery td5 ES Series II 2000

Post #502867 26th Jan 2019 5:44pm
MJGH

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Have not had a turbo failure (fingers crossed) but have noticed a number of threads relating to turbo failure on the forum.
This one and Dr Dill being I think the most recent.
In an earlier life I drove HGV's for many years and we always allowed engines to idle before shut down to help cool the turbo to avoid problems.
I recently pulled off a motorway and stopped at the roundabout at the end of the slip road to give way.
The auto stop/start cut in and turned the engine off whilst I waited my turn to go.
Under normal circumstances following a high speed drive on the motorway you would pull off and there would be a degree of natural turbo cooling as the vehicle was driven at slower speeds and possibly idled in traffic before shutdown.
It occurred to me on this occasion that the turbo would have had no chance to cool before the engine was shut down.
Is it possible that under certain circumstances the auto stop/start could be a contributory factor to turbo failure on these engines?
Or have things now moved on to the degree that turbo's are no longer affected by immediate shutdown after high speed use?

Post #502930 27th Jan 2019 10:28am
Mikey

Scotland 

The are still affected by the same issues, but in the name of fuel economy and emissions, mechanical sympathy goes out the window Rolling Eyes

Post #502933 27th Jan 2019 11:22am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Switching off after a fast run is the worse thing ever for a Turbo, it kills them. Not only does it allow the Turbo to continue spinning without any oil feed, but the extreme heat can carbonise what oil is left in it, which in the longer term blocks oil feed.

Every Turbo Diesel we have including Defenders, Range Rovers, Tractors and Excavators are always idled prior to shut down - this allows the Turbo to spin down and also cool down.
Most Turbos are spinning at 200,000 to 250,000 rpm - allowing them to spin down makes a huge difference without just switching straight off. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #502947 27th Jan 2019 1:08pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

What's the right spin down time after a hard right foot?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #502952 27th Jan 2019 1:28pm
Mikey

Scotland 

Approx 5 mins if possible. The circulating oil also acts as a coolant, drawing the heat out of the turbo, so as long as is practically possible

Post #502955 27th Jan 2019 1:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

surely most high speed journeys end with a slower route to your house/office etc thus giving the turbo time to spin down...

Post #502956 27th Jan 2019 1:49pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Irecently pulled off a motorway and stopped at the roundabout at the end of the slip road to give way.
The auto stop/start cut in and turned the engine off whilst I waited my turn to go.
Under normal circumstances following a high speed drive on the motorway you would pull off and there would be a degree of natural turbo cooling as the vehicle was driven at slower speeds and possibly idled in traffic before shutdown.
It occurred to me on this occasion that the turbo would have had no chance to cool before the engine was shut down.
Is it possible that under certain circumstances the auto stop/start could be a contributory factor to turbo failure on these engines?
Or have things now moved on to the degree that turbo's are no longer affected by immediate shutdown after high speed use?

Stan - Not in this scenario ^^ best course of action is to switch off the auto stop start function - it’s dangerous at a fast junction anyway when you need to pull out sharpish - especially where visibility is compromised 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #502959 27th Jan 2019 2:21pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

understood.. Thumbs Up

Post #502960 27th Jan 2019 2:33pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I've had that argument with my wife - why I insist on leaving the engine running when filling up at a motorway services - the ones in France all seem to have the fuel at the end of the entrance slip road.

Post #502963 27th Jan 2019 3:43pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Your right Stan , unless your barreling up to your front door at maximum revs , a gentle mile or two is ample to cool the turbo (s) down. To get both turbos spinning on an RR is no easy feat anyway and with these engines motorway speeds barely has the engine ticking over let alone spooling the turbos up. I've had turbo timers on high performance stuff in the past but those had engines that woulnt pull the skin of a pudding without the turbo spooling. RRs have plenty of grunt without spooling so the turbos aren't worked extensively like tuned jap stuff.

My journey home is motorway then a few miles of country roads and by the time the gates have opened its had plenty of time to cool.

Obviously you could argue that the quality of the oil helps too. However i agree that being too cautious is always best 👍👍 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #502975 27th Jan 2019 7:05pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I was told that the introduction of intercoolers completely did away with the need to run the engine at idle before shutdown. Was I wrongly informed?

Post #502978 27th Jan 2019 8:06pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

@john..i think that driving habits help as well..i always slow down to a mundane 40/50 mph before my motorway exit ...

never liked this 'stop/start' function on the newer cars .....

Post #502979 27th Jan 2019 8:51pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

@ Huwrhys: All that an intercooler does is cool down the turbo compressed air, to make it more dense, before it enters the combustion chamber. It should have no beneficial affect at all on cooling the turbo’s bearings and oil.

PS: I drive the last bit before stopping gently and then let the engine idle while I close the windows, shut the sunroof, turn the radio off and then switch the motor off for just this reason.

Post #502982 27th Jan 2019 9:11pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

FWIW, we have run plant, equipment and LR and RR’s with Turbo diesels for almost 40 years. All have been allowed to spool down and idle for a minimum of 30 to 60 seconds or more defending on how they have been worked. In 40 years we have never had a Turbo failure, we have had a few engine failures but nothing involving a Turbo. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #502990 27th Jan 2019 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>