Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > 4.2sc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bullit_666

England 
4.2sc

Hi guys, ive been looking for a 2006 (facelift) -2009 FFRR 4.2SC for a few months now.

Ive seen a lot of dogs described as mint or immaculate....clearly they were guilding the lilly slightley. Many seem as if someone threw an angry badger inside and let them go to town on the interior.

It also seems FSH these days doesnt actually mean full service history. The last one i looked at had 6years missing! Heated seet not workingalong with reversing camera and a few other niggles. The dealer seemed unaware of the issue.

I keep my cars in good order. The car i just sold was 14 years old and looked impeccable.

Am i holding a standard too high for a 2nd hand FFRR 4.2sc?

Basically im after a well serviced car with no rust issues and a tidy interior. Unmolested if possible (i love a factory standard car)

Ive scrooled through autotrader, fleabay, cargurus, piston heads and gumtree constantly and nothing has been up to scratch.

Any pointers or would be sellers??

Cheers

Ash

Post #504140 6th Feb 2019 3:59pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Think you are going to have to be very patient, one will surface eventually!

Post #504144 6th Feb 2019 4:37pm
Bullit_666

England 

Seems that way. Think ive done 2k miles in search of the the holy grail lol.

Post #504145 6th Feb 2019 4:50pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I had exactly the same experience when trying to buy a 4.2 or 5.0 S/C over a year ago, and took several months of searching and viewing before I bought my 2011 5.0 S/C.

I guess there weren't that many S/C examples sold in the first place anyway in the UK, so there is only a relatively small pool to choose from compared to diesels, and there are now plenty of abused examples out there. And especially as prices come down, plenty of people seem to buy them as cheap(ish) toys, treat them badly and don't want to pay for or do the maintenance required to keep them up to scratch (an S/C or indeed any RR is not a cheap car to run!), and we then end up looking at dreadful examples for sale as a result!

But there are still good vehicles around, albeit rarer and maybe slightly more expensive. Definitely worth waiting and/or paying for a decent example though which has been well looked after.

I'd just keep an eye out on the usual suspects (Autotrader, Ebay, PH, etc.) and setup automated alerts on them, and look here on FFRR, until the right example comes along.

Post #504156 6th Feb 2019 6:48pm
andyleeds

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

A forum member has a good 4.2 for sale v low mileage a bit strong price wise I think but looks like a nice car

Post #504163 6th Feb 2019 7:43pm
Bullit_666

England 

Andyleeds
Is it in the sales section? Whats a strong price?

Post #504203 6th Feb 2019 10:42pm
paulbrown22

A quick search brings up this one: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic49422.html

Post #504209 6th Feb 2019 11:30pm
Bullit_666

England 

Aye ive had a look. Is this overpriced?
Should see the tat listed on autotrader

Post #504213 6th Feb 2019 11:38pm
LivingtheDream

United Kingdom 

I've found full service history seems to mean stamps in the service book. no record of what has actually been done in the service, I always keep the invoices and receipts from work on my cars and that forms the history.

Ash - out of interest the one with the 6 years gap isn't down in hertfordshire is it? If not, then theres 2 like that - again, dealer didn't seem concerned. He also said as they are all aluminium, rust isn't an issue.

Post #504264 7th Feb 2019 11:12am
Bullit_666

England 

It was in chesham. So just outside herts.

As you said. Stamps in the books dont cut it. Any one with a my little post office kit can stamp a book.

My car had a bibles worth of receipts and invoices to back up the history. Im not sure why its difficult for people to keep their receipts. Surely it helps their re sale value.

On dealer i went to did have a proper service history...however when looking through the book and the receipts i noticed the last servuce stamp was hand written.. the dealer had left his diary open and was obvious he had written it in himself.

Its no big deal as there was an invoice and the car wasnt cosmetically good so was a no go anyway.

But it throws your trust in what else he could be doing to get a sale. Thats particular dealer specializes in range rovers. But i wont be going back because of that slight underhandedness

Post #504267 7th Feb 2019 11:37am
LivingtheDream

United Kingdom 

Probably the same car then - within a few miles of the one I'm talking about.

I'm resigning myself to upping my budget to find something. What sort of budget are you looking at?

I'm in no rush and don't have a lot of spare time to trawl around dealers anyway. It would be nice to get some honest answers over email/phone though. Its like pulling teeth!!

Post #504270 7th Feb 2019 12:17pm
Bullit_666

England 

Aye. Im in no rush either. I rarher take a year to find the right car than end up with a lemon.

Im looking around 10-12k max. But it needs to be great for that sum.

A lot of dealers have seriously over priced theirs and its testament to the period of time theyve been for sale. Some have been kicking around since june last year.

There is one thats standard and tidy. But for the milage the guy wants too much. Hes been selling for at least 4 months.

So many people price themselves out of the market.

A car is worth what someone will pay for it. If ypu havent shifted it after a month or 2 youre probably asking too much.

I ended up srlljng my car for about £900 less than i had hoped for. But...thats what it was worth at the end of the day.

Post #504280 7th Feb 2019 12:53pm
LivingtheDream

United Kingdom 

The number of times I've had 'Given the age and condition of the car, we think its very good value for money' - very helpful!

Anyway, could I be a bit cheeky? Could I PM you a couple of cars I'm looking to view - just in case you've already looked and have formed an opinion either way?

Could save me a little legwork, happy to do the same for you.

cheers

Post #504306 7th Feb 2019 3:57pm
Bullit_666

England 

By all means do.

Post #504310 7th Feb 2019 4:08pm
paulbrown22

LivingtheDream wrote:
He also said as they are all aluminium, rust isn't an issue.

Which bit of an L322 is aluminium?! Maybe he's thinking L405.

Bullit_666 wrote:
My car had a bibles worth of receipts and invoices

There was a thread on a similar topic here a couple of months ago. I think the basic outcome was that people who care about and are really interested in their cars (i.e. the sort of people that end up on forums like this!) probably do keep comprehensive records like that. Similarly I know I certainly do, and sold my 110 SW last year with 2 inches of paperwork after 9 years of ownership!

Post #504358 7th Feb 2019 7:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>