Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Error Code P0170
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rej

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Error Code P0170

In case it is of use to anyone I thought I would post.

IID was showing an error for a Bank 1 02 Sensor, so both front and back sensors replaced both sides which cleared the 02 error message. However, after a couple of drives the EML came backl on and the IID showed code P0170 Unknown. Fried scanned with different scanner (not sure but Foxwell of some type I think) and he got the same error code but dewscibed as Fuel Trim Bank 1.

After many enquiries I was told everything from O2 Sensors, Vacuum Leaks, Injector Problems, Fuel Pump Problems, Faulty MAF and Catalysts. 02 Sensors ruled out as just repolaced with OEM parts, MAF Sensor was cleaned, was dirty but seemed to be working Ok and MOT passed with no emmission issues (actualy said to be very low reading when I asked) so kind of rules out the cats as also no rattle from them when moved, carb cleaner sprayed round intakes etc.. to check for air leaks and nothing found.

Was getting ready to learn to live with it as no in my ability to change injectors or fuel pumps (and expensive given no confirmed fault) when a mechanioc friend suggested that it could be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). As this was less the £50 for an OEM part I decided it was work a try. Thanks to this firum the location was confirmed (lots of other positions given in other places - I guess for the other 4.4 engines etc...).

Sensor changed 3 days ago (5 min job once rear under tray is removed) and code cleared. Driven about 150 miles, round town and at motorway speeds also with plenty of starts and all seems to be running well. Light has not come back on and teh mis-fire/hesitation under low to medium rev acceleration and up hills has also gone away.

Also I used to get reduced engine performance with no code and no apparent actual reduction in peformance if driven on cruise control at 50mph, although only tried once for just over 10 miles this warning also did not come on.

Hopefully one or possibly two problems solved ands now just hoping fuel economy returns to what it was before the EML light started a few months ago.

2006 AJV8 Vogue (Petrol) with 167,000 miles

Hopefully this could be of use to someone. There is a difference between knowing your sh!t and knowing you're sh!t

2005 Registered 2006 MY 4.4 AJV8 Range Rover Vogue

Post #540871 17th Jan 2020 12:29pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Good stuff and thanks for feeding back Thumbs Up

Post #540873 17th Jan 2020 12:37pm
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
Re: Error Code P0170

rej wrote:
In case it is of use to anyone I thought I would post.

IID was showing an error for a Bank 1 02 Sensor, so both front and back sensors replaced both sides which cleared the 02 error message. However, after a couple of drives the EML came backl on and the IID showed code P0170 Unknown. Fried scanned with different scanner (not sure but Foxwell of some type I think) and he got the same error code but dewscibed as Fuel Trim Bank 1.

After many enquiries I was told everything from O2 Sensors, Vacuum Leaks, Injector Problems, Fuel Pump Problems, Faulty MAF and Catalysts. 02 Sensors ruled out as just repolaced with OEM parts, MAF Sensor was cleaned, was dirty but seemed to be working Ok and MOT passed with no emmission issues (actualy said to be very low reading when I asked) so kind of rules out the cats as also no rattle from them when moved, carb cleaner sprayed round intakes etc.. to check for air leaks and nothing found.

Was getting ready to learn to live with it as no in my ability to change injectors or fuel pumps (and expensive given no confirmed fault) when a mechanioc friend suggested that it could be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). As this was less the £50 for an OEM part I decided it was work a try. Thanks to this firum the location was confirmed (lots of other positions given in other places - I guess for the other 4.4 engines etc...).

Sensor changed 3 days ago (5 min job once rear under tray is removed) and code cleared. Driven about 150 miles, round town and at motorway speeds also with plenty of starts and all seems to be running well. Light has not come back on and teh mis-fire/hesitation under low to medium rev acceleration and up hills has also gone away.

Hopefully one or possibly two problems solved ands now just hoping fuel economy returns to what it was before the EML light started a few months ago.

2006 AJV8 Vogue (Petrol) with 167,000 miles

I know this is an old post... but where is the crankshaft position sensor located on a 2006 L322 4.4 V8 Jag Petrol? 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #686376 24th Feb 2024 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1