Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Cost of Maintenance? - Opinions/Experience please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bazzer79

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Barolo Black
Cost of Maintenance? - Opinions/Experience please?

My 2007 FFRR SC went in for it's annual service last week and a list of other maintenance was proposed by my Indy. we've had the car for 3yrs now and it's the second large bill we've had. Bith bills have been substantially more than any maintenance bill I've ever had during ownership of BMW & Porsche cars, and I just want to see if the pricing of my indy is reasonable. I'm not going to name them at this stage or reveal the quote, but the list is as follows;

1.) Supply & Fit Rear Subframe Bushes
2.) Supply & Fit Lower Tailgate Latches
3.) Supply & Fit Tailgate Stays
4.) Supply & Fit Boot Seal
5.) Supply & Fit F&R Discs, Pads & Sensors
6.) Supply & Fit Both Front Lower Suspension Arms
7.) Supply & Fit Driver Side Lower & Back Heated Seat Elements
8.) Supply & Fit Both Rear Air Springs
9.) Supply & Fit Both Front Tyres 255/50/20 Pirelli Scorpion Zero
10.) Wheel Alignment

Big Cry

Has anybody paid for these jobs before, I'm really interested to see comparisons.

Thanks!

Post #505106 14th Feb 2019 2:39pm
bruno22rf

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'm guessing the quote looks like a telephone number - if it were me I would source all the parts myself then find a mechanic that would do the work in stages for er.....those paper things that everybody had before plastic was invented.

Post #505116 14th Feb 2019 4:02pm
Bazzer79

I'm thinking of DIYing some of the jobs, latches, seal, stays, discs & pads and possibly the suspension arms, all going to depend on available time. We have our second child due in a few weeks and my better half wouldn't be best pleased if the family wagon was up on axle stands! Rolling Eyes

Post #505118 14th Feb 2019 4:12pm
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

All of the boot related items are easy and will only take a few hours, so supply yourself and do them.

I have a front air strut replaced at Dealership and they charged £750.00, its unusual for the rears to go why do they thing they need replacing?

Brakes LR quoted £1,050 for discs and pads all round, I did it myself for £250.00

Tyres go to Blackcircles or like I paid £130 a corner last year fitted same tyres

Subframe bushes never tackled those, but i reckon thats a tricky job and may well be better getting your indy to do, the worst thing about these cars is the size of jacking up and safely supporting!

lower suspension arms not massively hard but above applies needs safe secure supportin.

4 wheel alignment i paid £100.

As someone has said just prioritise and do the jobs over a couple of years, doesn't need doing all at once, ie does it really need all brakes doing or can u just do the fronts and then the rears?

Post #505121 14th Feb 2019 4:47pm
gavinn

United Kingdom 

1.) Supply & Fit Rear Subframe Bushes You sure rear subframe and not rear hub bushes ?
2.) Supply & Fit Lower Tailgate Latches
3.) Supply & Fit Tailgate Stays Easy job £20 on Ebay
4.) Supply & Fit Boot Seal
5.) Supply & Fit F&R Discs, Pads & Sensors Easy job , just done mine £167 for the full kit on e bay
6.) Supply & Fit Both Front Lower Suspension Arms , £86 a a pair, large hammer and ball joint splitter required
7.) Supply & Fit Driver Side Lower & Back Heated Seat Elements You can buy the elements, and get a trimmer to fit
8.) Supply & Fit Both Rear Air Springs
9.) Supply & Fit Both Front Tyres 255/50/20 Pirelli Scorpion Zero
10.) Wheel Alignment

Post #505122 14th Feb 2019 4:48pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

maybe worth to ask for a second opinion??? I have my 2007 now for the 5th year and done 100K mls total. The only things that went were the alternator, two brake disks and now the front airsprings. The sums the stealer asked me for parts were triple the price I paid at Island 4X4. Living in France is nice but...

Post #505129 14th Feb 2019 6:17pm
Bazzer79

Thanks for the insight, really helpful. Had a look at some diy vids on youtube last night and I'm going to undertake the following myself;

Boot Seal
F&R Discs, Pads & Sensors
Front Lower Suspension Arms
Both Rear Air Springs

Any advice with regards to genuine LR parts, OEM or other alternatives?

I've done discs and pads a couple time before on other cars, but the air springs & suspension arms will be new territory for me.

I'm going to get the tyres and wheel alignment elsewhere as I can get a discount on Pirelli tyres through my PCGB membership.

The subframe bushes I'll get my indy to do.

The rear airspring on the drivers side needs replacing as there is a pinhole in it and it's leaking. Overnight the car drops almost fully and the compressor takes an age to re-pressurise, which is probably over working it - don't want it to burn out. Apparently the passenger side one is pretty shabby so might as well do both at once?

The tailgate stays and catches can wait. The stays don't support the tailgate in cold weather, the catches are a bit stiff - I can live with that for now!

Post #505190 15th Feb 2019 11:23am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yours is a 2007 SC right? The brakes i would use genuine only if it were mine, worth every penny when you save the squeaking and fading from cheap pads (and they have to do some heavy work, lets be honest)
In my professional opinion (and this will set the cat amongst the pigeons no doubt) we tried Mintex, Brembo (the worst! from ECP's) Pagid (were the best of the worse) all bought complaints left right & centre! EBC grooved discs were VERY noise and rusted VERY badly!

Rear air springs are very easy to do yourself. Little tip, put a knife through them to deflate them, makes removing them easier! When you've fitted the new ones, don't let the jack down all the way. Start the car and let the bags inflate first, then let the jack down the last bit...

Lubricate the rear catches, sometimes they come back to life? Boot stays are quite important! As when they snap, they make quite a mess of the lower tailgate! False economy to leave them imho...

Rear hub or subframe bushes are a pita to be honest... Best left to the professionals...

Post #505195 15th Feb 2019 11:49am
Joe90

England 

Yes, replace both air springs, the other one will go if you don't (Sod's Law)

Did you check what the garage meant by subframe bushes? The big rubber donuts on each corner of the subframe itself? Special tool required to pull them out and push them in...see wiki. Have MOT folks raised any concerns about these ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #505196 15th Feb 2019 11:50am
Bazzer79

Craig - Yes 2007 sc with the Brembo calipers. Thanks for the advice, noted re the genuine parts - I hate break squeal and was just reading about the potential issue with aftermarket brake sets. I'll do the stays while I'm at it as they're so cheap and will try lubing the catches. Nice tip on the air springs as well - thanks.

Joe - yes subframe bushes were noted on last years MOT & service. MOT is due early March and I have a baby arriving not long after so really need everything buttoned up by then.

Can anyone offer any advice with regards to parts for the Air Springs or Lower Front Suspension Arms?

Post #505200 15th Feb 2019 12:04pm
Joe90

England 

Air Springs: Delphi
Suspension Parts: - LR (others have been known to fail too soon)

PM Dan @ duckworths with your requirements .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #505201 15th Feb 2019 12:07pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Yours is a 2007 SC right? The brakes i would use genuine only if it were mine, worth every penny when you save the squeaking and fading from cheap pads (and they have to do some heavy work, lets be honest)
In my professional opinion (and this will set the cat amongst the pigeons no doubt) we tried Mintex, Brembo (the worst! from ECP's) Pagid (were the best of the worse) all bought complaints left right & centre! EBC grooved discs were VERY noise and rusted VERY badly!

Rear air springs are very easy to do yourself. Little tip, put a knife through them to deflate them, makes removing them easier! When you've fitted the new ones, don't let the jack down all the way. Start the car and let the bags inflate first, then let the jack down the last bit...

Lubricate the rear catches, sometimes they come back to life? Boot stays are quite important! As when they snap, they make quite a mess of the lower tailgate! False economy to leave them imho...

Rear hub or subframe bushes are a pita to be honest... Best left to the professionals...

!00 per cent agree with Craig original parts for brakes Thumbs Up
Mine has done 180k and still on original rear bags

Post #505244 15th Feb 2019 5:47pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green
Re: Cost of Maintenance? - Opinions/Experience please?

Bazzer79 wrote:

7.) Supply & Fit Driver Side Lower & Back Heated Seat Elements

Thanks!

h
Have you got heated seats or heated/cooled seats. No elements for the latter (they use Peltier cells) and problems tend to relate to a broken plastic duct in the back of the seat

Post #505289 15th Feb 2019 9:22pm
Bazzer79

I had a better look at the brake discs at the weekend. There only a negligible lip so think I'll just do the pads. My indy said he quoted for discs as well as they're squeaking loads, however I've been driving it a fair bit this week and not heard anything yet.

Guess I've just been unlucky with the air spring Sandy!

The seat is heated and cooled - did some research over the weekend re the Peltier and split ducting, maybe a diy job for another day.

Can anyone recommend a decent trolley jack and axle stands for the FFRR?

Post #505569 18th Feb 2019 2:44pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Trolley Jack

Ramps 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #505571 18th Feb 2019 3:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>