Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > The eBay 2002 4.4 gamble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Some great jobs there. What was the method on the bonnet grille? I keep meaning to do mine, but i can't be bothered to sand back in all the gaps etc. Did you take the time or just give it a flash of paint? Also, what paint? Cheers!

Post #517068 31st May 2019 7:24pm
BMG

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I only sanded back the large flat areas , the intricate bits would take for ever ! The paint came off pretty easy and was actually a quick job. Most of the paint damge was on the large flat part anyway, only on a couple of small areas did I flat the worst down.
Some plastic primer, colour coat and then a clear satin lacquer I had over from another project.
You can see some areas within the intricate bits where the paint isn't perfect, but once on the car you have to be leaning over the bonnet and looking closely to see. For the sake of the price of the colour coat paint, it's a huge improvement.
All but one of the clips were reusable too. They are around £1.30 each , part number JYC000070

Post #517070 31st May 2019 7:38pm
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Top man, thanks for that. Was the colour coat a Bonatti that you managed to find, or just some generic grey?

Post #517073 31st May 2019 8:31pm
BMG

Custom can of Brunel Grey, which I believe is the original colour for this and the door handles. The paint code I got from this site.

Post #517074 31st May 2019 8:38pm
Ian Donkin

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Inspirational work as ever! Mine has been serving as a workhorse recently whilst I get on with other projects, but will hopefully get some more loving attention in due course.

Keep up the great work 👍 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8

Post #517089 1st Jun 2019 5:17am
BMG

Not too much been happening of late, but one pleasing upgrade has been an android head unit. Really wanted a modern nav system, Bluetooth, internet and DAB radio capability in the car, plus extras like a reverse cam ( yet to be finalised ) and a dash cam.

Post #525312 18th Aug 2019 8:17pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Great work!
Last image; priceless!

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #525317 18th Aug 2019 9:09pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #525318 18th Aug 2019 9:27pm
M17tph

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

Good for you mate glad youre still enjoying it

Post #525356 19th Aug 2019 9:55am
Ukandrewf

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Great work keep it up.

Great purchase price btw! --
On my third Full Fat RR
there's nothing like it.

Post #525588 20th Aug 2019 8:33pm
rich89

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

What head unit is that?

I might be buying a 53 plate vogue and can't not have bluetooth in the car and hate the practically useless standard unit.

Post #528626 20th Sep 2019 1:29pm
BMG

See here.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic52498.html

Post #528646 20th Sep 2019 5:23pm
BMG

Been doing a few more bits over the last few months. First was a new piston ring kit on the air compressor , which is a quick and easy job to do.

Old part looked OK to my untrained eye. Seemed to make only a small difference to speed in operation.

The engine drive belt didn't look too good.

Fitted a new part with the aircon belt.

Seats were looking a bit shabby. Drivers side worn on the edge and the plastic trims on both side are tatty.
I asked Furniture Clinic if they did anything for the plastics , they said they don't but people have used the leather dye on some parts with success.
I touched in the seat base bolster. I didn't go for a full coverage, more just to lessen the worn bits. I may revisit some day and do the complete base, but this is a decent enough improvement for a few mins work.

The plastic seats surrounds got airbrushed with the dye. The look pretty good, but no idea if they will last. The cheap AliExpress chrome trim bits added too. Did this on both sides.

Next up the brake job was rather forced on me to do. I turned up at my parents house to the smell of hot brakes, or rather one hot front left brake. Jacked it up and it seemed a sticky piston in the caliper. Sprayed some lube under the dust seal and worked in in and out a few times as a temp fix to get me home.

I did look at a rebuild kit, then a new caliper, then found a forum post mentioning the Brembo 4 pots are an easy bolt on conversion for the early BMW era cars with 19" wheels and up.
So on to eBay and found a couple of pairs for sale at silly money, then a couple of singles for sale at different breakers, both with a 'or best offer' price. £100 later for the pair and I'm the proud owner of a couple of scruffy calipers.
Complete new piston and seal kit is only £65 for these, so I rebuilt both. The bigger TDV8 discs were found on eBay with someone selling a pair of genuine LR parts for £80, Brembo pads are around £25 from EuroCarParts and new hoses too.
The front brake shields were rotten and require the matching parts for the Brembo disc/caliper. The left is available, the right is no longer available from LR.
Here's one of the sorry looking calipers.

Click image to enlarge

The discs and pads were done not long before I got the car, but on fitting the my new kit, seems the hoses were just about shot too.

Click image to enlarge

With the splash shield off, it was a tense moment to see if there was any rust. Happy to report very little. There was a little in the strut top, which oddly has no protection, plus a little on the bracket where the flexi and hard brake lines mount . I treated this with some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80.

When fixing the sticky caliper, I noted the brake steel pipe to the caliper caliper flexi hose was rotten where it pokes out from behind the splash shield.
These come pre shaped from LR and at around £12 not worth bothering to make new ones. ( the above pic shows it fitted )

The rest of the lines down from the ABS unit are all good , so too are the joining unions for the two pipes which go to the back for the rear brakes.

Speaking of the rears, they are both OK ish, but don't seem too bad to change. They join as per the above pic and are around £16 each new and pre shaped. The one for the n/s/r is a almost a straight pipe running along the inner sill. The other is a single pipe from the front again that crossed over the axle in a huge 'L' shape almost.
The o/s/f doesn't look too bad either as this runs around the back of the engine and out to the wheel arch. Maybe a job before next years MOT is due.

Anyway, conversion done, bar the missing offside brake shield. I'll have to check if another can be cut to fit.

Details on the brake conversion are here.

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/superc...hse.17815/

Post #561631 15th Jul 2020 9:27pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Looking good Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #561767 17th Jul 2020 7:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123