Home > Technical (L322) > Windscreen washer pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jpboost

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Windscreen washer pump

Hi All,

Windscreen washers have stopped working. No noises or anything.

Headlight washers still work and I've checked all fuses that appear relevant. I'm assuming the pump have have just died, but seems odd to be perfect one day and not the next.

Obviously it's a range rover, so there's always the chance that the system is far more complex that I could possibly have imagined...

Anyone got any pointers for things to check? A search hasn't shown up much, so presume it's not a common fault.

Car is 2010 5.0 S/C autobiography .

Cheers

Jon

Post #507951 8th Mar 2019 12:31pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I know you have said you have no noise, but mine packed up a few days ago. It was such a simple thing you may have alerady thought of it- the pipe to the washer jet comes out over the battery and was pinched by the bonnet when closed. I assume it's similar on the S/C to the TDV8.

Worth a look? Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #507964 8th Mar 2019 1:46pm
Jpboost

Cheers for the reply.

I don't think it can be that, as I also tested with the bonnet open, but always worth another check that the pipe isn't pinched elsewhere.

I'll see if I can borrow a spare pair of hands so I can check in the engine bay for the pump running while someone pulls the lever.

Post #507966 8th Mar 2019 2:07pm
Blankone

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Hi, have you managed to sort out this problem as I have the same issue on a 2009 S/C.
Pull the stalk and wipers move but pump not working, I have checked all fuses which are all good also checked for power at the pump and there is none so presume an electrical fault somewhere?
It also seems to have affected the rear wash/wipe as that’s stopped working altogether so maybe connected to the fronts?
Anyone any idea if there are any relays to check or am I looking at an ECU issue, searched the net but can’t find much so any help would be greatly appreciated as it’s failed the MOT!

Post #508105 9th Mar 2019 6:09pm
Jpboost

Hi,
I'm afraid I've not fixed it yet.

I did a hard battery reset today but that didn't affect anything.

Not had a chance to get to the pump and see if it's actually getting power when the stalk is pulled.

Genuine pump is 45, pattern ones on eBay for a tenner or so.

Have you made any progress?

I'm going to see if I can find a wiring diagram to trace looking for relays and other fuses.

Cheers

Post #508238 10th Mar 2019 10:42pm
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

From what I remember there are 3 identical pumps that push-in to rubber grommets near the bottom of the wash water tank.

Tank is held with just 2 screws along it top, plus 1 screw near the top of the filler neck. Pumps are (from filler neck side) rear, front, headlights.

Try swapping the headlight washer motor with the non-working windscreen washer motor (swap hose and electric plug). If that works then there is no real rush to source a reasonably priced replacement motor.

Oh, take a picture of one of the pumps (against a ruler) with the ID code showing, to help getting a new one.

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #510281 30th Mar 2019 5:02am
RR2B

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue
Re: Windscreen washer pump

Jpboost wrote:
Hi All,

Windscreen washers have stopped working. No noises or anything.

Headlight washers still work and I've checked all fuses that appear relevant. I'm assuming the pump have have just died, but seems odd to be perfect one day and not the next.

Obviously it's a range rover, so there's always the chance that the system is far more complex that I could possibly have imagined...

Anyone got any pointers for things to check? A search hasn't shown up much, so presume it's not a common fault.

Car is 2010 5.0 S/C autobiography .

Cheers

Jon

Exact same problem manifested itself today. I'll have a look tomorrow, I'm sure it's a 5 minute fix Big Cry 2011MY 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
TVR Griffith
Alfa Romeo Mito QV

Post #599563 3rd Jul 2021 8:01pm
Jpboost

It's a while back now, but from memory mine needed a pump.

I was a bit surprised it had just failed like that, but wasn't too bothered as it was warrantied at the time and the garage has swapped it out before they told me.

Post #599570 3rd Jul 2021 8:47pm
RR2B

Rear screen washer working, headlamp washers working, fuse 38 is fine. Assume it must be the washer motor. 2011MY 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
TVR Griffith
Alfa Romeo Mito QV

Post #599611 4th Jul 2021 11:40am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Thought mine failed yesterday, turned out to be an empty washer bottle, perfect, Thumbs Up but then thought, no low level warning goddamit Censored so obviously need to check the sensor. Another job for the list.

Post #599614 4th Jul 2021 12:18pm
RR2B

RR2B wrote:
Rear screen washer working, headlamp washers working, fuse 38 is fine. Assume it must be the washer motor.

So near yet so far - I can clearly see the washer pumps in my inspection mirror, but how to access? Remove wheel liner? But can this be done without jacking car up? Or can I leave everything in place and improvise some form of keyhole surgery to extract the offending pump? Life used to be so simple.... 2011MY 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
TVR Griffith
Alfa Romeo Mito QV

Post #599670 5th Jul 2021 8:56am
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

The 3 washer motors are simply 'push fitted' into 3 grommets on a horizontal or vertical ledge near the bottom rear of the tank. [horizontal early models, vertical after facelift]
Undo the power plug then use a large flat bladed screw driver to lever the suspect motor out. [The tank will empty all over your feet] Go here to see how -
Pull out the headlight pump too; swap over the hose and power plug then put the good motor back.
Find a suitable wood or plastic plug to temporarily replace the pump while you fix the gunged up pump or source a replacement.

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #604812 26th Aug 2021 7:15am
SomersetRR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White
2010-12 Rear Washer Pump Relay

Hi all

Re-posting this here because i inadvertently posted it originally on the wrong topic section.

Following on from the discussion above, I am really struggling to find the relay for the rear washer motor on my 2011 L322 Autobiography (5.0L SC Petrol). The wiring diagram (which was really difficult to find for the 2010-12 version) shows the front and rear washer relays in the central control box which i understand to be the fuse box behind the glove box which only has 3 relays in it for the cigarette lighters and audio system. In the 2002-2009 versions of the L322 the relays were behind the battery but in the 2010-12 version there is nothing behind the battery and in front of the battery is the ECU. Does anyone have any ideas? I have seen a couple of threads on here about the same thing but the question was never answered as far as i can see. I am pretty sure it is the relay that is caput rather than the washer motor because when i push the stalk back no power goes to the washer motor but i tried switching the front washer plug onto the rear washer motor, pulled the stalk forward and the rear motor pumped fine out of the rear jet.

Pulling my hair out trying to locate the relay so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Post #605240 31st Aug 2021 10:34am
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Does any one know any common leak probelems ? Lost all the fluid out of my screen tank. Can see a steady drip. Put a camera up before and could see bottom of middle pump dripping.

Post #613326 21st Nov 2021 6:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1