Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Is this reasonable for a 2-year old car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
So

Is this reasonable for a 2-year old car?

As per the title guys. 2-year old L405 Vogue SE.

Land Rover is saying it isn't a warranty issue. I personally think it's a bit early in life for seat bolsters to be cracking.

The rest of the car is as new.

Last edited by So on 25th Mar 2019 3:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #509779 25th Mar 2019 3:22pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Copy & paste the link called BBCode under then photo

Seems poor, but without knowing how the car has been used, how big you are etc. It’s hard to tell really - but I wouldn’t be happy

Post #509781 25th Mar 2019 3:46pm
So

I am not a big fat biffer, though the previous owner may have been, I bought it approved used.

Post #509782 25th Mar 2019 3:50pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Hmmmm..... I think that I would start to push them a little as this does not appear to be normal wear on a 2 year old car.

The leather in my 2005 TD6 with 95,000 on the clock looks in better condition......

Jim

Post #509784 25th Mar 2019 4:31pm
So

How does one push them?

I called customer services and the lady I spoke to said that the warranty department won't change their minds and it is for the supplying dealer to resolve at their expense.

Post #509785 25th Mar 2019 4:35pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

An interesting article about semi aniline leather:
https://www.chambersnaturalproducts.com/se...nditioner/

I think Ivory can be a little unforgiving meaning regular maintenance is a good idea. This type of leather is expected to crease. Is it cracking or creasing?
I expect this could be made as-new... but at whose expense?
It’s not screaming ‘warranty issue’ to me. But maybe an assessment by a leather expert may be the proof you need to show this is a product quality issue worthy of correction at the supplier’s expense.

Post #509788 25th Mar 2019 4:49pm
Crasher242

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

So wrote:
I am not a big fat biffer, though the previous owner may have been, I bought it approved used.

How many miles has it done?
It may only be 2 years old, but if its done tons of miles (with a big biffer sat in the drivers seat) then you could expect some signs of wear?

As has been said, there can be a lot of factors that can affect the leather - if the previous owner liked to keep things warm and cosy then you could see issue with the leather starting to dry and crack.

Might be a dead-end trying to chase it through the dealer - depends how much of a fight you are willing to put up with.

I'd expect a half-decent interior valet to bring back some of the life to the seats for a modest outlay, and without resort to major repair.

For reference, my 64 plate has 82k on the clock and the drivers seat doesn't look anywhere near as bad - but I know that the previous owner regularly treated and looked after the leather work Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Audi A6 Avant (the petrol guzzling Bi-turbo)
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #509789 25th Mar 2019 4:52pm
So

It's done 31k miles and everything else about the car is like new.

Post #509794 25th Mar 2019 5:01pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

That will clean up 'as new', however that's not the point, my old 2003 that I had for 13 years looked like that towards the end and I am a 'big biffer'. Beggars belief what they class as customer service as not an expensive fix, good luck Bow down

Post #509795 25th Mar 2019 5:11pm
Woofster

Canada 

That's unfortunate to see. I've seen other white leather seats with similar cracking...but those were on 10+ year old vehicles with ~200,000 km on it. 2010 RR SC
2007 RR SC

Post #509801 25th Mar 2019 5:32pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

It might come up quite well with some cleaning/ re-conditioning/ a bit of effort. Images close up can often look worse than the reality but it's prompted you to post so must be disappointing.

If it was like that when you collected it, had you noticed it before you bought the car (was it part of any agreed works before you collected the car)?

Did you ask them to do anything about it before driving away?

A previous post you made referred to the seller as having been a bit tricky.

The LR UK Approved website:

A. Has a video with a voice over that boasts, "We go the extra mile... so you can too! Land Rover approved!"

B. Tries to reassure you because of the "peace of mind" that buying A.U LR products give.

C. States:

"WHEN YOU CAN'T TELL IT'S USED IT'S LAND ROVER APPROVED Every Approved Land Rover is independently inspected to ensure that these high standards of vehicle preparation and customer service are met and maintained."

If LR warranty isn't an option, if not done already, you could start corresponding with your Sales/ After Sales Manager; and then work your way up, escalating to the Dealer Principal/ Head of Business; and if escalating to that level, perhaps cc LR CRC into all correspondence, which might prompt a more constructive reaction from your seller (if they seem unwilling to assist of course).

The state of that seat (if that's what it was like when you bought the car), is not a good advert for the brand, it's not a good advert for the selling dealership and it seems to directly contradict LR marketing material used/ relied upon by LR and main dealers to entice people to buy their LR products at a premium.

If the response you receive informs you that your expectations have to be realistic because it's a used vehicle and/ or they feel it's wear and tear commensurate with the age and mileage of the vehicle, then fine, don't use marketing material such as points A, B and C above, to persuade people to buy LR cars.

Otherwise is it misrepresentation to make/ try to benefit from marketing statements such as "WHEN YOU CAN'T TELL IT'S USED IT'S LAND ROVER APPROVED"?

Post #509808 25th Mar 2019 6:11pm
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Out of interest, does the car have side steps? Just wonder whether this has contributed to bolster wear when getting in & out. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #509880 26th Mar 2019 11:37am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have to say mine looks just the same but cleans up very easily with a soapy cloth. I'm told the surface of the leather is coated in a non porous finish so it remains stain free (ish) but also means the conditioners do little to affect the longevity as they cant soak in. I can see how the material/leather can be creased under the weight and heat from the driver and can also see how the creases then hold dirt. I use the dreaded baby wipe and stretch the leather so I get into the creases. Seems to work well.

Post #509881 26th Mar 2019 11:43am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

If resorting to sorting yourself, this thread might be of interest Thumbs Up

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45924.html?highlight=leather

Post #509883 26th Mar 2019 12:17pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Crikey at the OP, my car has a Cirrus interior and looks nothing like that - mine looks as new and I only give them the odd wipe with a baby wipe. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #509892 26th Mar 2019 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>