Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Battery drain: believed caused by Video Unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MarcoPolo

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue
Battery drain: believed caused by Video Unit

I wondered if anyone might be able to help a RR novice like me with this one.

Following on from my earlier post (https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic50618.html), I’ve been investigating what was causing the battery to discharge in the first place. I fitted a new battery to eliminate the possibility that it might just be old and clapped out. However, the new battery was discharging at a significant rate such that after just a couple of days standing there was barely enough reserve to start the engine.

After a thorough, step-by-step process of elimination, I’ve found that if I unplug the Video Unit (sometimes also referred to as the Entertainment Unit) the problem disappears, and only re-appears if I reconnect the unit.

Although I suspect that the Video Unit is the culprit, I’m aware that when it’s plugged in, it connects somehow to the dashboard screen, so I’m wondering if the problem might be further along the system, or if it is indeed a fault with the Video Unit. To complete the picture (excuse the pun) the screen was working even with the drain problem BUT stopped working last week (it’s completely blank now) which may suggest a slowly dying Video Unit which is consuming large amounts of current in the process, even when the vehicle is parked and locked.

I could buy a second hand Video Unit from a salvage company (there are a few available on line) just to see if it makes a difference. However, another factor I’m considering is that I believe the Video Unit is for analogue TV so I might be better off swapping my existing Video Unit for one which is Freeview capable, but I’d need to be sure it was compatible with my existing system.

Has anyone else come across this problem and could maybe point me in the right direction?

By the way, the RR is a 2003 Vogue with 4.4 BMW petrol engine. I’ve attached a couple of photos of the Video Unit which has a part number of YIL000022.

Thanks in advance!

Click image to enlarge

Post #510427 31st Mar 2019 5:45pm
Joe90

England 

Have you tried disconnecting just the SatNav ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #510437 31st Mar 2019 7:22pm
MarcoPolo

Hi Joe, yes, I initially proved the problem to the circuit protected by fuse 49, which serves just the in-car entertainment. I then disconnected, then reconnected, in turn, each device on that circuit, i.e. first SatNav, then Radio, then Amplifier, then Video Unit. Only when the Video Unit was disconnected did the current drain disappear, so I believe it's either that unit or something else which the Video Unit brings into play when connected.

I hope that makes sense Confused

Post #510440 31st Mar 2019 7:40pm
Joe90

England 

Have you actually looked inside the video unit ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #510445 31st Mar 2019 8:12pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

You can byepass the video unit and have everything else working as a check that the video unit is at fault. I did this when my video unit failed whilst I sorted out what to do. I eventually had my unit converted to digital reception.

Post #510446 31st Mar 2019 8:14pm
MarcoPolo

Joe90 wrote:
Have you actually looked inside the video unit ?

Not as yet - the unit looks as though it's sealed, but I'll take a closer look to see if I can get inside. Despite the unit's size (about the size of a car radio) it's amazingly light. Looking through the vent holes, it seems to contain just a Printed Circuit Board and a cooling fan. I'll see if I can get inside and look for scorch marks etc.

Post #510452 31st Mar 2019 8:38pm
MarcoPolo

nicedayforit wrote:
You can byepass the video unit and have everything else working as a check that the video unit is at fault. I did this when my video unit failed whilst I sorted out what to do. I eventually had my unit converted to digital reception.

Many thanks nicedayforit - I'd definitely like to try that. Could you describe how to bypass the unit? So far I've just disconnected the two plugs on the unit. MP

Post #510453 31st Mar 2019 8:40pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I did this a few years ago but I seem to remember I slid the satnav unit out of its cradle and laid it on a folded small towel closer to the cable connector from the bm54 radio module such that I could connect the blue and white plugs respectively.
It's fairly self explanatory when you see it but if you need further clarification I would have to have a look in daylight tomorrow to refresh my memory.
Let me know if you need further help. Thumbs Up

Post #510455 31st Mar 2019 8:56pm
MarcoPolo

That's very helpful nicedayforit, many thanks. I'll give it a go this afternoon. Smile

Post #510511 1st Apr 2019 12:57pm
MarcoPolo

Joe90 wrote:
Have you actually looked inside the video unit ?

Hi Joe and nicedayforit, this afternoon I worked out how to open the Video Unit without using a hacksaw (turned out to be very easy, even for a RR novice like me). Lo and behold, the problem stared right out at me - three surface-mounted integrated circuits with pins badly corroded (see two additional photos). OK, I'm still making an assumption that this corrosion is the cause of the Video Unit staying awake and taking current, as well as the blank screen, but I think it's a reasonable enough assumption to warrant me replacing it.

I'm now going to investigate whether I can replace it with a digital version, so as to restore the TV capability.

I'll post again when it's sorted.

Thanks once again for your thoughts. Much appreciated. MP Thumbs Up

Post #510527 1st Apr 2019 4:11pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Oh ! that'll do it ! Contact cleaner and toothbrush time (gently) Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #510530 1st Apr 2019 4:20pm
MarcoPolo

Many thanks Bushy. Great idea - I'll give it a try Thumbs Up

Any thoughts on what caused the corrosion in the first place. Seems odd it's limited to such a small area. Neutral MP

Post #510533 1st Apr 2019 4:33pm
Joe90

England 

^^^ fixed my SatNav that way Smile .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #510534 1st Apr 2019 4:33pm
MarcoPolo

Problem fixed Smile

I gently removed the corrosion on the video unit board using contact cleaner and a fine bristled brush (I used the contact cleaning variant of a well-known cleaning and lubricating fluid). The corrosion just seemed to melt away and there were no obvious signs of damage to the integrated circuit legs or the PCB tracks (examined under a magnifying glass).

I reconnected everything and not only did the screen work, but the video unit went to sleep as well - result!

As I mentioned in a previous post, all the in-car entertainment is fed through fuse 49. I connected an ammeter in series with the fuse and noted the current consumption without the engine running:-

- upon opening a door (front or rear), current consumption is 1.15 amps;
- after 1 minute, consumption falls to 0.95 amps;
- after a further minute, consumption falls to 0.75 amps;
- after a further 30 seconds, current consumption falls to zero;
- opening a door starts the cycle again.

I'm assuming that the gradual reduction in consumption is as a result of the elements connected to the fuse falling asleep one by one (video unit, sat nav and radio) although I don't know in which order. This process has demonstrated to me how easy it is to drain the battery on a RR; every time a door is opened, the in-car entertainment starts to draw almost the same current as a mains-connected 300 watt halogen flood light Shocked I'll remember that next time I'm cleaning the car or loading/unloading - I'll imagine that the courtesy light is a 300 watt mains-powered halogen flood light!

For interest, when I turn on the ignition and turn on the radio, the consumption is about 4 amps - the same as a mains powered 1 bar electric fire - eek!

Thank you to all those who made suggestions - it was much appreciated.

I'm still scratching my head with one thing though - the screen is now in a different format / colour scheme and the Land Rover logo doesn't appear when I open the door. Any ideas? Could it be that the video unit software has reset itself to some sort of default? Can I restore it to the original settings?

Thanks once more.

Post #511483 9th Apr 2019 5:11pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

From memory the splash screen and colours come from the nav unit.

I'd take that out and see if your contact cleaner can help there too Smile Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #511484 9th Apr 2019 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>